Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Conservatives realise, too late that Hinkley Point is a rip-off

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 11956
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Conservatives realise, too late that Hinkley Point is a rip-off

Post by papa_umau on Tue 02 Aug 2016, 11:24 am

The Conservatives have realised too late that Hinkley Point is a rip-off

By Barry Gardiner of The Guardian.

The manner and impact of this ill-advised decision will bedevil British-French relations for years to come.

There was a time for sober reflection on what had been a badly negotiated nuclear power contract, which left UK customers paying 92.50MW/h for electricity 35 years into the future, when the cost of onshore wind is already down to 70 and offshore is being delivered for 80. Had the government radically renegotiated the contract two years ago, I would have applauded them.

Get the full story from The Guardian HERE

Just like fossil fuels generation I have known for years that nuclear power generation is a white elephant.

Even with the obvious problems of up-front high costs and the after-costs of decommissioning and the dealing with radioactive waste that will be dangerous for many hundreds or thousands of years, the actual cost to the public of buying the electricity that comes from these things has to be a very good reason not to do it.

Comments please Robsters.

Papa......

Nuthin fancy
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 470
    Registration date : 2015-05-07

Hinkley Point

Post by Nuthin fancy on Tue 02 Aug 2016, 7:37 pm

Hi All,

I think nuclear is great, the French have go a loads of em !. Now then Paps, I DO agree with you.

This country could not organise a p*ss up in a brewery anymore. The cost is just not justified, and I don't think we have the science yet. In the future, yes, but at this time we are for want of a better work just buggering about. Problem is something needs to be done before the lights go out.

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Re: Conservatives realise, too late that Hinkley Point is a rip-off

Post by papa_umau on Wed 03 Aug 2016, 10:44 am

We do actually have the science for the older-generation nuclear power-stations but the newest ones have still not been proved to work.

EDF, the French power-giants have built a number of the older nuclear power-plants but neither them not China know how to build the latest generation of nuclear plants.

Even if they did, they have worked out that the electricity that would come from these plants would be so expensive that they would just not be cost-effective.

Read THIS one.

Last edited by papa_umau on Thu 11 Aug 2016, 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2488
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Thu 04 Aug 2016, 11:22 am

As already said, onshore wind is produced at 70.00 per KW and offshore is down to 80.00 per KW, but this new nuclear generator at Hinkly point is going to cost around 90.00 if they get it built and it works.

I have no clue why we should bring in French EDF or the Chinese in the building of this new type of nuclear power plant as surely we have the knowledge right here in Britain.

Maybe it is the money that is the problem ?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 05 Aug 2016, 11:27 am

As you good peeps will already know, I am a conservationist and an environmentalist and as such I strongly support the renewables when generating electricity. That includes nuclear generation, as there are just far too many problems with nuclear power.

Ok, it does not pollute the atmosphere like the fossil-fuels generators do but with the outrageous cost of building, commissioning and decommissioning these monsters I think they are best left well-alone.

The generator companies just do not have the renewables in their minds yet, but eventually they are going to have to go that way whether they like it or not.

The sooner the better as far as I am concerned.

I put my order in to buy my first electric car last Friday and even although my Nissan Leaf is not going to be a fossil-fuel-burning car the electricity that will charge the battery is still going to come from doubtful sources.

One of the great things about living in Scotland is because the SNP government have promised to have ALL of the power that is generated up here being made by the renewables before 2020.

I guess that people like me do our bit, but electric cars are still too expensive and as my electricity comes from the national grid I cannot guarantee that it is made by non-polluting means.

Maybe one day eh ?

Papa......

Gandhi
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Number of posts : 234
    Registration date : 2015-05-09

Post by Gandhi on Tue 09 Aug 2016, 8:23 am

Tech your comment about this country being unable to organise a pi$$ up in a brewery which is why 'Leave' was never going to work, yet here you are contradicting your UKIP mates. Does this mean a 'reverse ferret' is on the cards about a second referendum?

As to nuclear power the cost will always be high because of the decommissioning legacy but you cannot justify renewables on cost alone as 75% of the time there isn't enough wind to generate enough leccy to power a light bulb, never mind the fifth largest economy in the world
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 09 Aug 2016, 11:02 am

Gandhi, the "renewables" are not just wind-power. They include hydro-power, of which we have a lot in Scotland. Power generated by large photovoltaic panel areas, tidal power, wave power, and very soon we are going to see a lot of power generated by the use of hydrogen - the most abundant element in the universe.

Filthy fossil-fuel-burning power stations and nuclear power stations are the generators of the past and very soon they will all be shut down and de-commissioned.

Papa......

Nuthin fancy
    Major
    Major

Energy etc

Post by Nuthin fancy on Tue 09 Aug 2016, 12:27 pm

Hi all,

I would be very happy to support many 'alternative energies' if they were to work well, and provide the level of power we need. Most do not. There is nothing wrong in wanting to be environmentaly friendly and caring for our planet, but sometimes the zealots of the 'green industry' just do not live in the real world. Unless something is done in this country the lights will go out.

Same with shale gas. I live in an area rich in deposits, and the unholy row about fracking is dividing communities....I on a personal level do not see much of a problem, and it does not bother me ( and I don't live far from a potential drilling site ! ).

In respoinse to Ghandi.....What the hell are you going on about ???. Still p*ssed off the the vote did not go your way ?. Get real, we are OUT. Perhaps you need to listen to what this Italian journalist has to say about your beloved 'EU' Link is HERE: http://www.express.co.uk/comment/expresscomment/697252/Brexit-EU-Referendum-Paolo-Barnard-Brussels-Italy

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Wed 10 Aug 2016, 11:08 am

Shale gas obtained by Fracking is STILL just another dirty fossil fuel.

If we want to move into a clean future we are going to have to drop anything that causes pollution.

The "zealots" of the "green industry" are just people who feel strongly that we no longer need to generate electricity by burning any kind of fossil fuels.

Any time that any group start to feel strongly about anything, they always finish up being called "zealots".

As long as these "zealots" are not also terrorists then I am happy to be called a zealot.

The FEAR message that if we do not get shale gas from fracking or electricity from nuclear power, "the lights are going to go out" is just that, another campaign of fear that attacks the hearts of the people.

Once the powers that be finally make up their minds that we do not need to use fossil fuels or nuclear to generate power they will find ways to do it that is clean and heading into a better future.

After Fukushima the Japanese are planning to getting rid of ALL of their nuclear power stations, and if they can do it, so can we.

Papa......

Nuthin fancy
    Major
    Major

Energy etc

Post by Nuthin fancy on Wed 10 Aug 2016, 2:10 pm

Hi All,

Sorry Paps, there are definate 'zealots here', ( and yes, I know you find them in all walks of life, so its not personal ! ) they have been responsible for criminal damage on the Fylde coast, and damaging farmland and bulidings all in their efforts to stop Quadrilla from drilling.

As I said, I have no problem with 'green energy' if it could deliver the goods. Unfortunately at present it cannot, and yes, the lights WILL go out unless we do something damn fast. I am open about shale gas, and I do not think all the scare stories are correct.

We need to look at the science, and do it quick. CAN renewables provide the ammount of; and sustainable energy we are going to need sooner rather than later. ?. If so, and its practical then I am on board, but I don't think it can.

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 11 Aug 2016, 4:33 pm

There are definitely a few zealots in the environmentalists cause and as long as the reasoned ones can keep them under control very little lasting harm will be done.

"Green" energy is growing at a fast pace and eventually the oil, gas, and other fossil fuels interests are going to realise that they are on to a hiding to nothing.

Just out of interest HERE is a list of the renewables that are growing at a high rate and once we start to accept them the dirty fuels are just going to die out.

Even the biggest producers of oil and Gas, ( OPEC ), are now starting to look at producing hydrogen is large quantities, as they too know that soon their oil will be worth very little.

It's the future, and it IS going to be able to keep the lights on right around the world.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1169
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Sun 14 Aug 2016, 1:47 pm

I'm firmly on the side of renewable power; Fracking for shale gas has caused big problems both in the USA and Australia with water pollution and gas bubbling up in rivers and lakes. Both those countries are vast, with less population density than here in Britain; so any ill effects on the environment will affect many more of us per head of population.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 15 Aug 2016, 12:09 pm

Yes, this is a type of science that even the experts know little about.

The potential for disaster is huge with fracking.

It is not just the fracking that gets my back up, it is the fact that the gasses recovered using this technique are STILL fossil fuel gasses.

When will they learn ? Evil or Very Mad

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 28 Jun 2017, 1:12 am