Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Shocked, upset, but not surprised

Nuthin fancy
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 470
    Registration date : 2015-05-07

Shocked, upset, but not surprised

Post by Nuthin fancy on Thu 28 Jul 2016, 5:08 pm

Hi All,

The following is a very controverial topic, its about access to healthcare. I know a bit about our NHS. I worked in it for over 20 years, then taught healthcare professionals for another 20 at university. My wife is a nurse and Midwife of 40 years experience. We know the system and how it works, but I am now doubting its efficacy.

A few days ago my wife had a severe back strain when she was opening a draw. So much so she was in agony and could not move. It was 7 in the morning, so we decide to ring 111. After giving details the said they would send an ambulance which thery did. The crew decided it as a muscular strain, to take analgesics and call our Dr when they opened at 9am...Off they went.

Called Dr ( wife still imobile )....can you come to the surgry ??...answer no !. Gave a prescriprion over the phone, so I collected it and gave the meds. By this time; and both our efforts, she managed to hobble downstairs and I got her comfotable.

Pain was no better all that day and still bad the next day, despite her trying to mobilise a little. Pain meds not working. Called Gp and he changed them ( no visit, so she had not been examined ). Further 12 hrs. No better ( no red flag symptoms, but still very imobile ).

Drs shut, called 111 at 2pm..advice: DR will call you. 3 Hrs later another change of meds ( no visit )..advice, see you GP.

72 hrs later, still in pain, can hardly walk. Called GP at 9am ....change of meds. Come to the surgery in a day or two's time ( errr....cant walk very well, doubt she will make it )

Lunchtime. Wife violently sick, feeling very unwell, sweaty. DR's shut. Phone 111 ( they had records of all my calls ) Needs to be evaluated by a healthcare proff. We will phone you back, but we have not one available at present ( I stressed she was now very unwell ). Called back in 1 hr. advice: they will inform the walk in centre and they will be in touch in the hour.... 3 hours later ( wife the same and feeling rough ) NO call back.

We had both had enough by this time. Phoned them back and said we were going to A/E. Managed to get her in the car somehow and got A/E treatment ( A/E Dr said we had done the right thing, it was muscular but he was amazed the she had not been properly evluated or seen after over 72 Hrs. Gave her IV drugs and anti -emetics. ). As for 111 it seems it was a disorganised chaos, as it looked like we were being bu**ered about from pillar to post.

The lesson here I suppoose is that with my wifes nursing knowledge we knew the limits, and were able to self care up to that point when we realised she needed to be evaluated pretty fast. We got to the point that waitng for 111 to make a decision was counterproductive. It saddens me that my experiencce of their service was pretty grim, but more to the point what if individuals had no knowledge and had blind faith. The delay in some cases, more serious cases; could be tragic.

So what is causing this mess... Lack of finds, lack of staff, too many managers messing about with clipboards, lack of communication.?..The future frightens me, as did the changes in our DGH when I saw the the entrance had been turned into all but a shopping mall with WH Smiths, Marks and Spencer, Starbucks and a private chemist firm...Am I entering a hospital or a major retail outlet ??. The future looks more and more like creeping privatisation under this government and disorganised service for patients.

She is now, today, feeling better, pain much reduced and starting to mobilise more !!

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12578
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: Shocked, upset, but not surprised

Post by papa_umau on Fri 29 Jul 2016, 11:53 am

Well Technician, thanks for that. What a bloody awful story.

There is no doubt that the 111 emergency service is not any better than the previous one as it is the same lot that is managing it.

That story suggests to me that between the lack of effect in the 111 service and the difficulty to get a doctor to come out it is the A&E that is now taking the brunt of this very poor service elsewhere.

I guess it all comes down to waste in the NHS with the high cost of medicines and the even higher cost of consultants.

Our once-great NHS is now being quietly privatised from the inside and there are far to many fat-cats taking the financial resources away from patient care.

I have no clue how worse it is going to get before it gets any better.

One thing is sure, as the Tories say: "The NHS is safe in our hands".

No it bloody well is not !

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1284
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Fri 29 Jul 2016, 2:32 pm

I have a friend who is going though something similar, being B******d about between three different A&E departments, her GP is refusing to treat her, she has multiple chronic problems including dystonia seizures, is disabled; awaiting admission to a Neurology Unit.

This has been going on for months, she has even gone private in desperation. Now she is suing the NHS, and the Media have got hold of it in her local area, won't be surprised if it ends up Nationally reported.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 30 Jul 2016, 11:52 am

An interesting comment my dear.

In fact, I would go far enough to say that the Tories may very well be engineering that more normally NHS patients are now going private - if they can afford it.

A Typically Tory way of thinking.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2545
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sun 31 Jul 2016, 11:50 am

They will do anything they think will fragment the NHS as once it is fragmented the private health services will pick up the pieces.

Mind you I have no clue why there is such a shortage of consultants as if more were promoted from the pool of experienced doctors all that would then be needed is for the medical training colleges to produce more junior doctors at the bottom end.

I would also stop NHS consultants from moonlighting to the private sector.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 01 Aug 2016, 12:01 pm

That is one of my favourite arguments Angie, as the greedy consultants are not only taking the high wages they get in the NHS, but they also regularly moonlight in the private sector.

If a doctor or a consultant is trained in the NHS they should NOT be allowed to work in the private sector at the same time.

I cannot understand why they cannot see this Evil or Very Mad

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1284
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Sun 14 Aug 2016, 2:09 pm

If they have been trained in Britain, they should not be able to set up a private practice until they have given the NHS ten years of qualified service and attained Consultant rank. (that's not so far out of the ball park, as on average it takes about that long). However, if they are going to be Private, they should not moonlight in the NHS.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 15 Aug 2016, 12:22 pm

Sounds like good common sense to me.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content