Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Netto discount stores to close.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12180
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Netto discount stores to close.

Post by papa_umau on Tue 05 Jul 2016, 11:54 am

Sainsbury's to close Netto stores

UK supermarket chain Sainsbury's is to close its Netto stores after abandoning a joint venture with a Danish retailer.

Its 16 stores will continue to trade throughout July and will close during August, Sainsbury's said.

About 400 jobs are at risk, although the companies hope to re-deploy staff where possible.

Sainsbury's and its partner in the venture, Dansk Supermarked Group, said the trial was ended because Netto needed rapid expansion and investment.

The tie-up was an attempt to rival discounters such as Aldi and Lidl.

The full report from The BBC HERE

I don't know about you guys, but apart from the job losses I find this result quite pleasing.

As a great supporter of the German discounters, Aldi and Lidl, it is good to see the big supermarkets failing once again to try to bring down these trend-and-price-setting stores.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2545
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Netto discount stores to close.

Post by zathrus on Fri 08 Jul 2016, 11:42 am

Hurrah for Aldi and Lidl as they have been instrumental in making and keeping shopping costs low in this country.

They are still doing it by killing off the fake discount stores introduced by the big supermarkets.

I have to admit that I never thought that I would be singing the praises for German supermarkets. Evil or Very Mad
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 11:59 am

Yes, I think that all the bad connotations of the last world war concerning the Germans are now a fading memory; and they should be.

I saw a report of something in America on the telly last night, and was surprised to find an Aldi sign on a shop in the background.

Aldi and Lidl are certainly trying to take over the world again by expanding all over it.

HERE is an article from The Economist on exactly this subject.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2423
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sun 10 Jul 2016, 12:11 pm

I hope that the loss of the likes of Netto and the other mini-discounters will not mean that we lose our corner shop.

I do think, mind you, that the Pakistani and Indian corner shop groups will continue as they don't care if they don't undercut the likes of Aldi or Lidl as they charge extra just for the convenience of being on every street corner site.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 11 Jul 2016, 11:51 am

I think that the ubiquitous Asian street corner shop will always be there as many of them have their own bulk-buying groups.

Zathrus:

Yes, Aldi and Lidl are spreading fast around America, Canada and Australia, as well as Europe of course, and soon they are going to have a greater bulk-buying power than any of the supermarkets.

Papa......

Gandhi
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Number of posts : 251
    Registration date : 2015-05-09

Post by Gandhi on Thu 14 Jul 2016, 8:31 am

Paps - can you explain how a reduction in competion is good for us? Or is your post just sour grapes because you can't afford to shop at Sainsburys?

G
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 14 Jul 2016, 10:43 am

It is the "competition" from Aldi and Lidl that makes my family's choice - if we wish - to shop at the bigger stores much easier, as now, this competition has forced the big boys to look seriously at their prices.

My wife still likes to shop at Asda on occasion for a greater choice of goods.

As I see it that is all the big supermarkets have going for them.

Once upon a time the snobs would not shop in Aldi or Lidl as it was below them to shop in discount stores, but now they are coming in droves to shop at the German discounters, and the big boys are panicking like hell about this.

OH....AND.... I can "afford" to shop at Fortnum and Mason if wish, I just choose not to.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 18 Aug 2017, 3:34 pm