Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Seven million tons of food thrown out each year.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12578
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Seven million tons of food thrown out each year.

Post by papa_umau on Mon 04 Jul 2016, 11:27 am

Frozen Food Confusion Leading To Tons Of Waste

Misconceptions about the safety of frozen food are adding to the seven million tons of waste thrown out by households every year.

Households are throwing away the equivalent of six meals per week because of confusion over the safety of frozens foods, a survey suggests.

A poll for the Food Standards Agency (FSA) found 43% of people think food should only be frozen on the day of purchase, rather than up until the use-by date, 38% incorrectly said it is dangerous to refreeze meat after it has been cooked and 36% wrongly believe that food can become unsafe to eat while in the freezer.

Get the full story from Sky News HERE

Well, if we are so confused about how long to keep food in the freezer surely it is about time that these dates were made to be accurate so that we stop throwing out frozen foods that are still safely edible.

Opinions please.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1284
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Re: Seven million tons of food thrown out each year.

Post by Hell's Granny on Wed 06 Jul 2016, 2:51 pm

Totally agree.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 07 Jul 2016, 12:25 pm

This question made me read up on the subject and I found that apart from the damage that can be done to some frozen food by the formation of ice-crystals there is no reason why frozen food can not keep indefinitely in a deep freezer.

It is after it has been defrosted that food goes off very quickly and the reason why frozen food should never be re-frozen after it has been defrosted.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2653
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Fri 08 Jul 2016, 12:01 pm

That seems just about common sense Paps.

Mind you, maybe it is all in the mind, but I always feel that eating food that has been in the freezer over it's "freeze-by" date means that it loses something in taste.

Here is something I found from the Michigan State University that is interesting.

It says that depending on the types of food, especially meats, the safe time in a freezer can start from one month and can go on to a year.

Here is the site: http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/dates_on_meat_packages_sell_by_use_by_freeze_by_packaged_on_expiration_date
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 12:12 pm

Very interesting Zath'.

I guess that so long as we have a proper deep freezer in the kitchen then we should always find that our food is safe to eat.

The whole use-by date on chilled foods is another subject altogether as it is hard to trust the food manufacturers about these dates.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1284
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 1:13 pm

I find home made curries, chillies etc., do lose flavour when frozen. As I reheat them, I just add more spices to balance the flavours again.

Some things do also change texture, things from the garden can go mushy, soft fruits in particular, and some are not suitable to freeze at all.

A good Freezer Cookbook will give all this information in better format than I can. Tonight I'm making Cottage pies, one to eat fresh, the rest of the mince will be portioned and frozen, so the only thing left will be to add the Mashed vegetables of choice (I like to mix spuds with Parsnip or sweet Potato), them stuff it in the oven.

Batch cooking works well. If you do have a lot of mince, cook it in a basic format, portion and freeze, then when you get it out it will be more versatile. allowing you to add the flavours you want, be it for a bolognaise, chilli, Tex-Mex, Cottage pie, or whatever.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 10 Jul 2016, 12:03 pm

Thanks for those wise words HG.

I guess the modern day house-cook is very short of time to prepare foods and to freeze them like that, as because it now takes two wages coming in to a household to make life possible neither of the couple have the time to spend in food preparation.

It is even worse if there are a couple of kids underfoot.

Hence the rise of the ubiquitous carry out and the chilled convenience foods in the supermarkets.

Home cooking is a dying art I am afraid.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 11:49 am