Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Summer Solstice and Strawberry Moon.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12196
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Summer Solstice and Strawberry Moon.

Post by papa_umau on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 12:21 pm

Summer Solstice and Strawberry Moon: What is it? Why do we celebrate the longest day of the year?

This year’s solstice coincides with the Strawberry Moon – a once-in-a-lifetime occurence.

The summer solstice is the longest day of the year, a day falling around late June when there are approximately 17 hours of light.

The name comes from the Latin solstitium meaning “sun stands still”. It happens because the sun stops heading north at the Tropic of Cancer and then returns back southwards.

In the northern hemisphere this means the days begin to get shorter.

But 2016 is a special year, because the solstice coincides with the Strawberry Moon, a once-in-a-lifetime occurence.

What is the Strawberry Moon?

It is a full moon, which occurs in June, named by early Native American tribes. It is a full moon like any other, but marks the beginning of the strawberry season. The two events coincide once every 70 years.

Is Paganism just another religious sect and could it be a dangerous thing ?

Here is a view of Paganism from Wikipedia.

What do you folks think ?

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2545
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Summer Solstice and Strawberry Moon.

Post by zathrus on Thu 23 Jun 2016, 12:05 pm

I say let them get on with it so long as paganism does no harm.

Maybe the jehadi Islamicists could learn from the pagans about how to run a religion ?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 24 Jun 2016, 12:01 pm

Good point Zath'.

If Islam was more like Paganism or even Buddhism there would not be such world mayhem, hatred, and bloodletting in it's cause.

Even as an atheist I can still see that some of the world religions and sects are quite amiable where extreme Islam is not.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1247
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Fri 24 Jun 2016, 8:30 pm

Long term Pagan here! 50 years Wiccan, 21 years Druid, How can I help you?

The Wikipaedia link is broadly correct, Ronald Hutton is Professor of History at Bristol University, and I have known him for several years.

We don't ill-wish people, and the vast majority of us don't curse; unless we get royally pissed off, of course!

Some of us cast spells; I can't be bothered! It's not a requirement.

We have 8 Festivals a year, the Summer and Winter Solstices, the Spring and Autumn Equinoxes (originally Druid festivals) and the Fire Festivals, Imbols, (Feb 1) Beltane (May 1) Lughnasadh (August 1) and Samhain,(31 Oct) aka Halloween. (Wiccan). The two systems were combined by Gardner and Ross Nichols to form the system we now use, providing a ritual approximately every 6 weeks.

Some of us go to places for Public Ritual, such as Stonehenge or Avebury, Some of us work solo in the woods and fields. Both Wicca and Druidry have a lot in common, often you will find both of them together at a public ritual.

We have the serious and the not so serious people among us, some of us wear outrageous clothing, one Druid of my aquaintance wears robes and claims to be the reincarnation of King Arthur. He's not bad once you get to know him!

Any other information I can add, please ask!

Blessed be, HG.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 25 Jun 2016, 12:02 pm

Great news HG. I am glad that we have a Pagan expert in our midst on ROB.

Choosing to be an atheist took me a very long time to decide, in fact I was thinking about it when I was seven years old and living amongst the religious hatred in Northern Ireland.

Because I was brought up as a very devout Protestant Christian, ( I had no choice about this ), I found it hard to witness the hate-filled anti-Catholic views of my own family over there.

Because I was forced to go to the church in the morning, the Sunday school in the afternoon, and the Salvation Army in the evening, ( although I quite enjoyed the Salvation Army ), I could not understand why two branches of the Christian religion hated each-other so much.

I can see the exact same divisions in the Islamic faith as the Sunnies and the Shiites try to commit genocide on each other while they hate everybody else that is not of their religious choosing.

I do not see any of that from the Wikkans or the Pagans or the Buddhists.

Last edited by papa_umau on Mon 27 Jun 2016, 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Post by Hell's Granny on Sat 25 Jun 2016, 1:40 pm

Oh, we have our moments! Smile Sweetness and Light is not necessarily the order of the day in the Pagan world. We too have our fundamentalists; usually those new to the faith who want to change the world! They calm down eventually! Laughing

Think back to the Hippy Convoys of the 80's and the Battle of The Beanfield where the police trashed the buses and family vehicles and assaulted folk who were peacefully trying to get to Stonehenge for the free Festival in 1985. Even a pregnant woman was dragged from a bus and assaulted. Not the finest hour for our boys in blue. The footage can still be seen on Youtube; as can the Newbury Bypass protests.

There is still a militant wing of pagans, mainly, but not exclusively led by Arthur and his warband. Stonehenge has been the 'spiritual home' of protest since the beanfield; and it took several Druid Orders many years of negotiation to get to the current situation with English Heritage. I have on occasion been part of negotiations through the Council of British Druid Orders; although I am now happily retired from all that.

I still do a little teaching and act as a celebrant for Rites of Passage (Namings, coming of Age, Handfastings (Weddings), Rites of Elderhood and Funerals, and until recently I was also a Pagan Hospital Visitor. I don't like to be too visible, I'm not a 'celebrity Pagan', preferring to work in a support role rather than lead the charge!

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 26 Jun 2016, 12:10 pm

Although I don't know much about the Pagan religion, I find it hard to disagree with many of their motives.

As  bit of a hippy myself, when I was young, I did my fair share of protesting and fighting for the rights of the downtrodden, but, as you say, that is a job best done by the youngsters.

I suppose all religious groups have their extremists and fundamentalists, and it is up to the wiser, but older, ones to keep a grip on their passions.

It is just a shame that the Islamic faith does not have enough control over their fundamentalists so that the extremists get to do just about anything they want to.

Unlike the Christian faith and the Catholic side of this faith, the Islamicists have no hierarchy worth talking about that could reign in their terrorist sections. I believe that the highest rank in the Islamic faith is Imam, and he is recognised as not much more than a teacher.

I do not even think that there is a power high enough that could excommunicate any Muslim that breaks the Islamic laws.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Post by Hell's Granny on Mon 27 Jun 2016, 11:05 am

I think you are right. Even when there was a Sultan or Caliph, he was still subject to the Imam. The nearest we get to rulers without being Imams nowadays is the Saudi Royal Family, and they are effectively above the law. I'm not sure if there is still a King in Jordan, but I know the Shah of Iran was deposed in 1979, when the Ayatollahs took power.

I have moderate Muslim friends who are very worried about what will happen to them now.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 27 Jun 2016, 12:45 pm

Hell's Granny wrote:I think you are right. Even when there was a Sultan or Caliph, he was still subject to the Imam. The nearest we get to rulers without being Imams nowadays is the Saudi Royal Family, and they are effectively above the law. I'm not sure if there is still a King in Jordan, but I know the Shah of Iran was deposed in 1979, when the Ayatollahs took power.

I have moderate Muslim friends who are very worried about what will happen to them now.

I think a Sultan is just a secular head-man even if a Calif could be construed as a religious leader. ( ISIS or ISIL or whatever they call themselves have created a Califate under their control in Iraq, Afghanistan and Syria as they want the whole of the middle East under their religious domination backed up by their view of Sharia Law ).

The Sultans and the Royal Families in the Middle East are powerful because they are filthy-rich and control their own private armies, but they do not have any religious hold on their subjects.

Again, the Ayatollahs are political leaders who defer to Sharia Law when they are forced to.

The Sharia police are a civil force that is backed by this Sharia - or religious - Law.

Within the Islamic faith, although there are many tribes and Islamic sects who are badly fragmented to their own sectarian beliefs, and there is no top religious leaders of the seniority of the Primates, the Bishops or the Pope or Cardinals or Monseniors in the Catholic Christian Faith.

It might be a good thing if they did have any religious leaders that are of the rank of Pope, for example, as then they would have the power to excommunicate any person or group that were seen to break the teachings of their Qur'an.

HERE is an interesting list of religious leaders in the various Islamic faiths.

Sorry if the topic has worn off a bit, but even as a atheist I still have interest in the various religions of the world.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 22 Aug 2017, 12:46 am