Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

119 failing Academies lose sponsors.

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2685
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

119 failing Academies lose sponsors.

Post by zathrus on Thu 16 Jun 2016, 11:25 am

Sponsors lose control of 119 failing academies.

By Hannah Richardson
    BBC News education reporter

Get the full article here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-36538763

England's schools commissioner Sir David Carter told the Commons Education Committee 119 academies had been "re-brokered" as a last resort.

Some academies were performing no better than the failing schools from which they had taken over, he told MPs.

Sir David said of the 973 functioning multi-academy trusts in England, only seven had been inspected by Ofsted as part of a process known as "batched inspections".

I have always been suspicious of the Tory policy of turning all of our schools into virtual private ones by making them into Academies and taking them out of local authority control.

Now we are seeing that many of these "sponsored" ( private ) schools are failing just as badly as they were while in public ownership.

What's next for selling off I wonder ?
    Gandhi
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Number of posts : 251
    Registration date : 2015-05-09

Re: 119 failing Academies lose sponsors.

Post by Gandhi on Fri 17 Jun 2016, 8:32 am

I ddon't know why they don't just bring back Grammar Schools - all attempts to 'educate' people by treating them the same fail because some pupils are brighter than others. No wonder standards continue to fall

G
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12657
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Fri 17 Jun 2016, 11:27 am

I cannot agree about Grammar schools as they were the most divisive types of schools that were going.

The Tories would bring back Grammar schools tomorrow if they thought they could get away with it, and the "Academies" are just a stepping stone in that direction.

The proper way to educate children is to ensure that they all get the best schooling that is going and the Comprehensive system is the best way to do that.

I was at school when the 11+ was all the go and for whatever reason I failed this test and was shunted into the technical stream while my mates were moved into the academic stream.

This arbitrary system certainly got it wrong for me and I hate it with a vengeance for deciding I was dumb when the rest of my life proved I was NOT.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2573
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 18 Jun 2016, 12:06 pm

Yes Papa, that would give you a big chip on your shoulder I suppose.

As a teacher myself I am watching what is happening with all of these new Academies and as there have already been discussions towards turning the school I work at into one of them eventually, I am watching this move even more closely.

I hope it never happens.

Oh and BTW.... this idea was not originally a Tory one as it was Tony Blair and his New-Labour government that started this ball rolling.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 11:57 am

Gandhi wrote:I ddon't know why they don't just bring back Grammar Schools - all attempts to 'educate' people by treating them the same fail because some pupils are brighter than others. No wonder standards continue to fall

G

Comprehensive schools do NOT treat all pupils the same as if it done right the teaching is made to suit the learning ability of every single pupil.

All that Grammar schools do is to split children down the middle at age eleven by educational apartheid so that half of them are pushed into an academic stream and the other half are virtually thrown onto the rubbish heap.

Apart from true private education there is nothing more class-conscious than Grammar schools.

We do need a classless society and Grammar schools are not the way to do this.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1316
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Fri 24 Jun 2016, 8:26 pm

I was educated at a 'Bilateral' school. We had both Grammar and Secondary Modern on the same campus, and on many subjects we worked together. It worked quite well, as Secondary students particularly good at a subject could 'step up' to the relevant classes, whilst Grammar students who needed extra help with subjects could similarly 'step down'.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 25 Jun 2016, 11:23 am

Excuse my ignorance here HG, but I have never heard of "Bi-lateral education".

That sounds like a solution to the "class" problem as it allows students to take academic teachings as well as the less academic ones.

When I was at school I had a strong desire to learn the German language and to get extra tuition in English, but I was barred by this as I failed the eleven plus exam.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1316
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Sat 25 Jun 2016, 2:00 pm

Bilateral was an experimental system which eventually led to Comprehensive schools. It was different insomuch as it took both 11+ winners and losers and allowed them access to both Grammar Classes and Remedial education. This was Late 50's and Early 60's.

I was an 11+ loser, I was good at languages, yet slow in Maths (when it came to Algebra, my mind just said 'Nope!'), so I got access to Grammar Classes in Languages and Art, and Remedial in Maths. Except for Algebra I was relatively good at Maths, just slow. Consequently, I generally plodded along roughly in the middle. I can still calculate in my head faster than my son can work stuff out on paper, and I had to show him how to convert between Fractions and decimals recently, which surprised me more than a little, because he's good in Maths, but mildly dyslexic. I'm also lucky enough not to have forgotten pre-decimal weights and measures!
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 26 Jun 2016, 11:44 am

Yes, being one of the "old school" too, ( excuse the pun ), I still often have to convert new values to the pre-decimal ones to be able to measure worth.

Some things are hard to remember but some things are hard to forget too.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 18 Dec 2017, 2:31 pm