Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

CND say Trident will now cost 205bn

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12456
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

CND say Trident will now cost 205bn

Post by papa_umau on Fri 13 May 2016, 12:15 pm

The cost of replacing the Trident nuclear missiles has rocketed to at least 205bn according to figures from CND.

This was calculated using official figures, answers to parliamentary questions and previous costs, although it takes no account of MOD projects going over budget.

SNP Defence spokesman Brendan O'Hara MP said: "Trident is obscene and redundant and Westminster seems hell-bent on dumping it on The Clyde - it seems - at any cost".

This is already a thorny issue because of the great cost it is eventually going to have, but, once again, the great majority of the Scottish people do not want this "target" installed anywhere in Scotland as it will make Scotland one of the first targets that any nuclear enemy will want to attack.

I bet the people in the South coast of England would not have that monstrosity based at Portsmouth.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2501
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Re: CND say Trident will now cost 205bn

Post by Angie baby on Sun 15 May 2016, 12:43 pm

I am not saying that they have their sums wrong, but I would think that the CND would have a vested interest in making those numbers as big as they can.

We will only ever know how much this new Trident defence system will cost after it has been delivered.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 16 May 2016, 12:13 pm

I will agree with you on that one Angie, but we know that once such public projects are started they never finish up at the original cost.

I don't know why we have to buy the latest Trident intercontinental missiles in the subs anyway as they are already Trident missiles with multiple nuclear warheads.

By all means keep them fully serviced and available to deploy, but spending anything over 100 billion pounds to buy new missiles from America seems like one extravagance too far.

Papa......

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

UPDATE.

Post by papa_umau on Mon 16 May 2016, 12:42 pm

I have researched the present Trident deterrent and found a few things I did not previously know:

The present Trident deterrent consists of four nuclear/electric submarines that can stay submerged for very long periods - and until their food runs out - ( oxygen is manufactured from sea-water ), - and each of them can be anywhere in the world's oceans at any time.

They are deployed with one on active patrol at all times, one in for servicing and two on exercises and training manoeuvres. Each submarine carries sixteen missiles, with a total of 48 nuclear warheads, each of which that can be directed at a different target.

Thatcher's government in the early 1980s replaced the Polaris system which had been in operation since the 1960s, with the Trident missile system, in the 1990s.

The reason why they are going to be changed soon is because the new submarines that will carry the latest Trident missiles, ( with our own nuclear warheads ), could take up to seventeen years to develop, and by that time the present Trident systems would be "obsolete".

Read the whole guide and history of Trident HERE from The BBC.

We have to ask ourselves: Do we need a nuclear deterrent at all ? Do we need to spend so much money on the next generation of Trident ? And, can we risk losing all of the skills we already have in this field if we scrap Trident altogether.

I would love it if the Robsters were to give us their opinions, for or against, on this very complex subject, please.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 20 Oct 2017, 1:16 pm