Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Second homes: Should they be banned ?

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12107
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Second homes: Should they be banned ?

Post by papa_umau on Tue 10 May 2016, 12:27 pm

St Ives referendum: Second homes ban backed by voters

Residents of a seaside town have stemmed the tide of second homes-building in a referendum to ban construction.

St Ives held the vote after a surge in holiday homes in the Cornish town and a shortage of affordable housing.

The plans mean new housing projects will get planning permission only if reserved for full-time residents.

More than 80% of voters backed the ban. However, a local firm has taken legal action over the decision to hold it.

A full analysis on the subject from The BBC HERE

This trend has been growing apace for a very long time, whereby rich people can build holiday homes which will never come onto the ordinary markets.

At last and at least one town has finally stood up and been counted about this scandal.

What do YOU think should be done about this, or do you think that the problem - as proposed - does not even exist ?

Papa......

Nuthin fancy
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 470
    Registration date : 2015-05-07

Second Homes

Post by Nuthin fancy on Wed 11 May 2016, 9:42 pm

Hi all,

In a word, yes.

I have no problem with 'second homes' in principle if we were living in a country of fairness and parity ( where in the world though !! ) and we had most of all SPACE.

The disgrace is that our own native born young people are being forced out of their own communities by both extortionate house prices and lack of affordable accomodation at all levels. This Paps is another CLASSIC example of 'pressure' in this country. Of course with MONEY you may be able to do most things, but the already critical housing shortage is going to get seriously worse and more unfair when the mass of migrants once more pour onto our shores.

Lets think about our OWN young people who are struggling to find a decent and affordable home before giving properties to freeloaders and the 'well healed' who alredy own one !!!

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Re: Second homes: Should they be banned ?

Post by papa_umau on Thu 12 May 2016, 12:24 pm

The trouble is that the people with money are building on land that should be reserved for affordable housing.

The reason why homes are so expensive everywhere, and especially in the West-country, is because of the shortage of homes that you talk about.

Like everything else, it is the supply and demand syndrome that is working here.

There are plans afoot to make every home that is not lived in for more than six months at a time to be taxed to the hilt.

There is a scandal of empty properties right around the country and they too are going to draw heavy taxation to them if they are not sold or let to the people that need them.

Things need to change as far as this is concerned, and the quicker, the better, I say.

Last edited by papa_umau on Mon 16 May 2016, 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2406
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sun 15 May 2016, 12:49 pm

As I see it, building one or two holiday homes is not going to use up the land that is available for development into affordable housing.

I don't know about you guys but I can see a large number of brownfield gap-sites all around where I live.

The major stumbling block on the building of "affordable" homes is the fact that not a lot of money can be made out of these schemes.

There was a scandal just a short while ago about companies buying up brownfield sites just so that other developers can not get their hands on them. They then lie empty until they are worth developing.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 16 May 2016, 12:06 pm

Yes, that is the case where I live too.

In the small town where I live I can count five gap sites where buildings and factories have been demolished and only one of these sites has been bought by the council to build affordable homes on.

I suppose that is a start, but if all of the gap sites are counted all around the countries of Britain, and used for building affordable homes on, I am sure that the housing shortage could be dealt with at a stroke.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 28 Jul 2017, 1:41 am