Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

A view of what happened in Scotland yesterday.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12192
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

A view of what happened in Scotland yesterday.

Post by papa_umau on Sat 07 May 2016, 12:28 pm

Many will remember that Scotland was always very strong Labour in past years but I think it is very strange what has happened to politics in Scotland since the independence referendum.

Initially, the country was split right down the middle between the Yes voters and the No voters and this has caused a similar split that is now effecting ordinary politics.

One might have thought that although the SNP were expected to win the election, few believed that they would not finish with an overall majority. In fact that is exactly what happened.

Then the Labour strength was beaten down so that the Tories became the official opposition party with Labour knocked into third place.

What seems to have happened here, ( and I might be wrong ), is that the left/right polarity that showed up in the lost independence vote turned into a set of votes that meant that many who would never think of voting Tory have voted that way this time as they are coming from the independence NO vote side.

Who would have thought that the Tories would EVER get enough votes to become the official opposition in Scottish politics.

I think that the memory of what happened with the Labour supporters and the Tories, coming together as NO voters at the referendum, means that it will be a very long time before Scotland will ever become a Labour stronghold again.

Comments anybody ?

Papa......

Parliament....
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1623
    Registration date : 2009-09-29

Re: A view of what happened in Scotland yesterday.

Post by Parliament.... on Sat 07 May 2016, 2:50 pm

Yes ive a comment to make.

In my view the SNP took the vote because Scotland's Labour voters wanted to tell the English Tory Parliament that "we have had enough of you", "we want out from under the harsh banner of Thatcherism"...

Frankly if I were fortunate to be able to be out on the streets of Scotland today, I would have talked to people in passing and ask them why they voted SNP ?

I bet im right!

Ivanhoe

Last edited by Ivanhoe on Sat 07 May 2016, 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Nuthin fancy
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 470
    Registration date : 2015-05-07

Scotland

Post by Nuthin fancy on Sat 07 May 2016, 2:57 pm

Hi all,

I think your assessment is correct Paps, Very strange.

However it seems that Sturgeon has no power no to force a referendum vote, and I think Cameron will do all he can to prevent that.

Over and above that issue ( and you know I don't like the woman ) she has to be given some credit for the success she has had. That said she can no longer pussy foot around and play all her cards on a referendum. She and the SNP have got to start delivering for Scotland, paricularly in health and education of which their track record has been woefull. if she fails to do that she may find she is on a pretty quick downward spiral.

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 08 May 2016, 12:06 pm

Yes Technician, there is no doubt that after a third term of office was given to the SNP they ARE going to have to do a lot of stuff that has nothing to do with independence.

The SNP - in my estimation - has done a lot of good for Scotland during the past two terms and they know that if they do not want Labour to grow into a fighting force again they are going to have to govern as most of the Scots want them to.

The spectre still hangs that if England pulls us out of Europe we will almost certainly want another referendum on independence because the great majority here, except for a few rabid Tories, DO NOT want Scotland dragged out of the EU against our will.

Ivanhoe....

You said: Frankly if I were fortunate to be able to be out on the streets of Scotland today, I would have talked to people in passing and ask them why they voted SNP ?

And you would probably be told to mind your own business if you tried that here.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2428
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sun 08 May 2016, 12:25 pm

Ivanhoe wrote:Yes ive a comment to make.

In my view the SNP took the vote because Scotland's Labour voters wanted to tell the English Tory Parliament that "we have had enough of you", "we want out from under the harsh banner of Thatcherism"...

Frankly if I were fortunate to be able to be out on the streets of Scotland today, I would have talked to people in passing and ask them why they voted SNP ?

I bet im right!

Ivanhoe

Do you know what passive/aggressive means Ivanhoe ?

Because you are very good at it.

Parliament....
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1623
    Registration date : 2009-09-29

Post by Parliament.... on Sun 08 May 2016, 4:16 pm

papa_umau wrote:Yes Technician, there is no doubt that after a third term of office was given to the SNP they ARE going to have to do a lot of stuff that has nothing to do with independence.

The SNP - in my estimation - has done a lot of good for Scotland during the past two terms and they know that if they do not want Labour to grow into a fighting force again they are going to have to govern as most of the Scots want them to.

The spectre still hangs that if England pulls us out of Europe we will almost certainly want another referendum on independence because the great majority here, except for a few rabid Tories, DO NOT want Scotland dragged out of the EU against our will.

Ivanhoe....

You said: Frankly if I were fortunate to be able to be out on the streets of Scotland today, I would have talked to people in passing and ask them why they voted SNP ?

And you would probably be told to mind your own business if you tried that here.

No they wouldnt. I would introduce myself as an Englishman and supporter of traditional Labour, and take it from there.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 09 May 2016, 10:47 am

You just don't get it do you Ivanhoe.

Asking personal choice questions like that in your normal passive/aggressive way only put's people's backs up.

If you don't take a "mind your own business" reply in Scotland you might finish up on the receiving end of Glasgow kiss.

Papa......

Gandhi
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Number of posts : 251
    Registration date : 2015-05-09

Post by Gandhi on Thu 19 May 2016, 7:57 am

You just don't like anyone disagreeing with you do you Paps? Ivanhoe may be many things but he is NOT passive agressive.

G
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 19 May 2016, 11:15 am

Of course, you will always agree with anybody that disagrees with me.

Definitely sounds like you Gandhi.

Papa......

Gandhi
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Number of posts : 251
    Registration date : 2015-05-09

Post by Gandhi on Fri 27 May 2016, 10:36 pm

I disagree when you are wrong, not when you are right

G
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 28 May 2016, 11:33 am

Yeah....OK.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 20 Aug 2017, 2:25 pm