Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Well done Leicester.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12108
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Well done Leicester.

Post by papa_umau on Tue 03 May 2016, 1:26 pm

The Leicester Supremacy – a triumph that was never supposed to happen

Champions have vaulted an impassable gulf of finance and privilege in modern‑day Big Football to re‑energise the most inspiring sporting principle of open competition.

Do not adjust your reality: this really is happening. For the past three months Leicester City’s gloriously bold progress towards a first English top-flight title has unfurled like a slow breaking wave.

A draw against Manchester United on Sunday afternoon left Claudio Ranieri’s collection of offcuts and rising talents a step closer.

Tottenham’s failure to beat Chelsea on Monday night was the final nudge. The wave has finally broken on a Premier League title some are already calling the most unlikely sporting victory of all time.

Get the full and wonderful story from The Guardian HERE

As I am a Scot, one might think that I have no real attachment to Leicester as far as them winning the Premier League title, but you would be wrong, as, even as a Rangers and Alloa fan I have always celebrated when an underdog gets such an accolade.

Well done Leicester.

Now I want to see Alloa Athletic getting back up and out of the 1st division after suffering relegation from The Championship League and Rangers doing well in the Premier league after promotion. Sad

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2520
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Well done Leicester.

Post by zathrus on Thu 05 May 2016, 12:29 pm

Poor old Alloa as they are now booted down to the 1st division.

There seemed to be some miracle attached to Paul Hartley when he managed Alloa as with his coaching the team could do no wrong.

Very curiously, after Hartley moved on, Alloa nosedived straight into the first division. Can any manager have THAT amount of influence with any team, or was it just coincidence.

Anyway, I too want to wish Leicester all the best.

I think they will find that playing in the Premier League is a whole different deal from playing in the Champions League.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 06 May 2016, 11:37 am

You seem to know a lot about Alloa Athletic mate. Do you actually follow Scottish football ?

I too wondered about the "Hartley" effect as while he was with Alloa they could do no wrong. As soon as he left they headed straight - without stopping - through The Champions League and down to the First Division.

Anyways, it is always good to see a team that were reckoned as "minnows", like Leicester, getting to the highest accolade.

I have always been a great supporter of the underdogs.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1226
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Fri 06 May 2016, 1:34 pm

I'm not a footie follower, but even I can raise a metaphorical glass to celebrate with Leicester City. It is good to see a small team with minimal resources beat the 'biggies!'
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 07 May 2016, 11:51 am

It certainly is my dear.

As I said before, like yourself, I too like to cheer on the underdogs.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 26 Jul 2017, 1:33 pm