Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

End of life care....Is there any ?

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12351
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

End of life care....Is there any ?

Post by papa_umau on Mon 02 May 2016, 12:29 pm

Unforgivable' failings in end-of-life care revealed as 40,000 dying patients subject to secret 'do not resuscitate' orders every year

By Laura Donnelly, health editor of The Telegraph.

As many as 200,000 patients a year are having do not resuscitate orders secretly imposed on them instructing doctors not to attempt cardiopulmonary resuscitation if the patient suffers a cardiac arrest or stops breathing, without their families ever being told, it can be disclosed.

A national audit of dying patients has highlighted a failure by authorities to tell relatives of plans put in place for their loved ones.

Get the full story from The Telegraph HERE

One might think that as I am a firm supporter of the Right to Die Societies I would have been FOR these actions, but, far from it, as these decisions can only be made by the person who is choosing to die and nobody else.

As this is a very contentious issue, what do YOU think about it ?

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2585
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: End of life care....Is there any ?

Post by zathrus on Thu 05 May 2016, 12:22 pm

A really heavy subject mate.

I guess that we just have to trust that wherever our olds are located we hope that they are getting the care they require.

As far as "do not resucitate" orders are concerned, that has to be in the power of the close relatives as to what the patient might have wanted is carried out. None of the doctors or care staff have that right and if they do it without permission they should be jailed for the act.

This brings me to euthanasia, as I know how you feel about this Paps, but in this country euthanasia of any type is against the law.

I am aware, as a family member works in an end of life care-home, that on occasion, and maybe more often than we realise, pain medication can be turned up so far that the patient quietly dies.

Whether this is deliberate or accidental is another story altogether.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 06 May 2016, 11:44 am

If doctors or practice nurses are committing euthanasia via do-not-resuscitate orders, without the relatives permission, then putting it simply, that is murder.

I would like to think that the watchdogs might start to look much more closely at so many unexpected deaths.

I am glad that you mentioned the "pain management" syndrome as it seems that so long as powerful painkillers are not given in large, and one-off doses, it will be extremely hard for any watchdog to find that any laws have been broken if the pain medication is increased very slowly until the patient just slips away.

YES, I am a supporter of the Right to Die Societies as I believe in voluntary euthanasia, but this is not what is happening here, as we DO NOT have laws that allow voluntary euthanasia in Britain.

That is why so many British people are forced to go to Dignitas, in Switzerland to end their lives in peace and with dignity.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1278
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Fri 06 May 2016, 1:32 pm

It is a thorny issue, since the scandal of the Liverpool Care Pathway was exposed as euthanasia for the inconvenient old people with no families to speak for them, also the way it was administered by deliberately witholding food and water.

DNR should not be in the gift of the doctor; but only the patient and his or her family should have that responsibility. Those who wish, because of incurable illness and unbearable pain however should be allowed to die in clinics such as Dignitas, where they will get the physical support and care they need during the process.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 07 May 2016, 11:59 am

I wish everybody thought like you HG, as it is just common sense to look at it that way.

Also, well remembered about the "Liverpool Care Pathway" scandal as that proved that it IS happening.

Allowing people to die of de-hydration and hunger because the doctors cannot help to do it humanely with drugs, is barbaric at it's best.

For some reason, when this comes up in a vote in The Commons it is always defeated. Maybe they are afraid of what the churches will do to them if they vote via their conscience.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1278
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Sat 07 May 2016, 1:22 pm

That is the problem with the Church getting automatic seats in the Lords.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 08 May 2016, 12:14 pm

Oh my dear, you have no idea why I so strongly agree with you there.

The religions also seem to be able to sway the Commons votes for some reason. Maybe these voters are afraid to vote with their consciences as they are worried what their constituency parties will say when they go back home ?

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2473
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sun 08 May 2016, 12:35 pm

I bet that none of those anti-end-of-life voters have ever watched a loved one slowly dying without dignity in their home as if they had they would know what the sensible people are asking for here.

I have, BTW as I nursed my mother until she died recently.

Thank God for the help I got from the Marie-Curie nurses.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 09 May 2016, 11:03 am

Either that or they got someone else to care for their dying relatives so they would not feel the pain that we are talking about.

The "right to life" argument that comes from the churches does not take the wishes of the dying person into account.

It is OUR life to do what we want with and nobody has any right to deny any person an easy and dignified death.

It WILL come eventually, when our politicians have evolved high enough into humanity.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 25 Sep 2017, 4:15 pm