Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Next generation batteries.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12456
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Next generation batteries.

Post by papa_umau on Mon 25 Apr 2016, 12:23 pm

Most people will know that once generated, electricity has to be used straight away as there is no efficient way of storing large amounts of electricity.

That said, since the introduction of Lithium-ion batteries, which are much better than the older Zinc-Carbon or Alkaline forms, are still hard to charge and do not hold very much electricity.

There are actually dozens of different types of batteries, but a couple of new ones stand out from the crowd.

Lithium-Oxygen:

Right off the bat, its energy density is 10 times greater than a lithium-ion battery. That makes it more comparable in cost to petrol or diesel.

Such a battery would also be one-fifth of the weight of a current lithium-ion battery.

It would also cost one-fifth as much.

Aluminium-Ion:

A new rival to the lithium-ion and Lithium-air batteries has been created that charges in under a minute and still performs almost perfectly after being recharged thousands of times.

The new battery is based on aluminium instead of lithium, which should make it both cheaper and safer than their lithium-ion competitors.

The US team behind the aluminium-ion battery say that the technology could find its way into the home, help store renewable energy for the power grid and even power vehicles.

They are expected to cost about the same as Lithium-Ion batteries.

The Renault/Nissan group are already testing the Aluminium-Ion batteries in their cars.

It may take a while before these Aluminium-Ion batteries are freely-available to us all but I do think that they will be worth waiting for as the best batteries available now: The Lithium Ion battery are really quite dangerous and have been known to catch fire or explode under stress.

Papa......

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Update !

Post by papa_umau on Thu 28 Apr 2016, 11:46 am

I have written to the Editor of the Green Car Reorts site asking him to look into and possible publish an article about the future of Lithium-Ion batteries in road vehicles.

I also gave him a link to this ROB page.

He has replied to me and says that he will look into it.

Maybe we will see this article in the coming days.

HERE is a link to this excellent magazine where, if you want, you can get daily emails on the state of the green car industry.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2619
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Next generation batteries.

Post by zathrus on Thu 28 Apr 2016, 12:12 pm

Well done Paps. I too will be interested in hearing what happens here.

Mind you, I also agree that it may take a long time before these Aluminium-Ion batteries are common enough to be in all new road vehicles.

Also, I think you will find that if the Lithium-ion battery manufacturers resist the production of these new ones it may take a long time before they are manufactured in big enough numbers to properly compete.

One thing that is worth thinking about is that Aluminium metal should be in much easier and more plentiful supply than Lithium metal is.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 29 Apr 2016, 12:04 pm

There has been a "response" of sorts, from The Green Car Report site, and HERE is a link to it for anyone interested.

Readers will find that they will have to read all of the article before getting to the Aluminium-ion batteries bit.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2501
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 30 Apr 2016, 1:25 pm

An interesting thread Papa.

It will be great if they first start to use these high-capacity batteries in mobile phones and lap-tops so that we can get a much long life out of our tech without having to either connect to the mains somewhere or stop for a battery recharge.

My Acer tablet says that the battery has a six hour life-span, but I am lucky if I get two hours out of it.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 01 May 2016, 12:18 pm

Yes, some of the cheaper tablets and netbooks have very poor battery life. I guess that you "gets what you pays for" as far as that is concerned.

About the response from Green Car Reports.

They did put in an article about the latest batteries that are coming on stream soon, and they compared the Lithium-Air, the Aluminium-Ion and others in that piece. I like to think that my "tip" as they call it, had something to do with that article.

HERE is a link to that specific article.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 20 Oct 2017, 1:12 pm