Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Floating Solar Farm soon to power up.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12657
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Floating Solar Farm soon to power up.

Post by papa_umau on Tue 22 Mar 2016, 1:20 pm

By Tom Cheshire, Technology Correspondent from Sky News.

No turbines or chimney stacks, just 23,000 solar cells silently bobbing on the water.

Europe's largest floating power station is near completion.

When the 6.5m solar farm goes fully online, it will power water treatment works on the outskirts of London.

But its existence depended on beating a deadline on government cuts to solar subsidies.

This is what it looks like:

Read more about this great step forward in green power HERE

As you will all already know, I am a great supporter of green energy projects, and although this particular project will not actually supply all that many kilowatts of power, it has to be one of those great steps forward in our needs to get rid of the dirty fossil-fuel burning power stations.

Comments please !

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2685
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Floating Solar Farm soon to power up.

Post by zathrus on Thu 24 Mar 2016, 12:44 pm

The idea seems like a good one and I have to say that it looks good in that flat-calm water.

How would it fare though in any size of a wave ?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12657
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Fri 25 Mar 2016, 1:01 pm

Good point Zath, but I think that these so-called "photovoltaic farms will be in lagoons that do not suffer from waves from the open sea.

There still might be some unsettled water created by the wind in these closed lagoons and ponds, but I am sure that the experts will have sorted that one out.

These large layouts of photvoltaic cell panels have already been successful in many places around the world.

HERE is the images from Google of these large panels on land, water, and on roofs.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2573
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sun 27 Mar 2016, 1:53 pm

Wow, that looks great Papa.

I am sure that if we do move over to the renewables as far as energy is concerned the pollution that we get from coal, oil and gas will eventually be stopped.

I have often thought that the most abundant element in the universe, namely Hydrogen, should be fully harnessed to generate all of the energy we might need.

OK, we might have to use the electricity we have at the moment to get at that hydrogen from water, but I am sure that if it was done right we could make the electricity that we might need for this job by using the lost power of the sun.

It is hard to store electricity but it would be relatively easy to store hydrogen as a liquid.

I am sounding a bit smarty-pants on this just now, as I am teaching it to my kids at school.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 18 Dec 2017, 2:35 pm