Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Taken for mugs...maybe.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12466
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Taken for mugs...maybe.

Post by papa_umau on Tue 15 Mar 2016, 11:46 am

By Miles Brignal of The Guardian newspaper:

Regarding your letter concerning unfair practices by LPG suppliers, I have had the same experience.

This week, when my two-year contract with Calor expired, it offered me a renewal at 47p a litre, fixed for two years. FloGas, however, was offering 29.95p on a two-year contract with a guaranteed maximum increase of 3.5% in the second year. I decided to switch and it was painless and quick. Calors response was to offer me slightly better terms. I refused on the grounds that I do not like to be taken for a mug.

Well good people have any of you experience this, if you use bottled gas?

Before I came back to civilisation about eight years ago I was living in a very nice fixer-upper cottage in the country. ( and I did fix it up of course ). Because there was no gas on tap I chose to get a large storage tank of Calor propane put in as propane does not freeze at sub-zero temperatures.

The trouble with this was that I was then, ( I thought ), tied to buying my propane from Calor when there were two other cheaper suppliers close-by.

Actually, all I had to do was to get the new supplier to buy the tank from Calor, ( cost me nothing to do this ), so that I could get supplies from either Avanti-gas or Flo-Gas. I chose Avanti-gas Scotland.

At first I was confused by the names Liquified Petroleum Gas ( LPG ), and Propane and Butane but I found out that almost all LPG supplies are a mixture of Propane and butane in amounts that resist freezing in outdoor tanks.

So, there you have it folks; if you have no gas at home you can use it in small, medium, or large tankloads.

Find out more about it from THIS website.

Papa......

Nuthin fancy
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 470
    Registration date : 2015-05-07

Gas

Post by Nuthin fancy on Tue 15 Mar 2016, 7:37 pm

Hi All,

Interesting. My brother got me onto this topic and I bought a small LPG heater and use the 13Kg cylinder ( I think ! ). Thing is I have the thing as a back up heater which I can move about, into the conservatory etc. Looked at Calor Gas and they were the more expensive. I have a FLOW GAS supplier on an industrial estate not far from me and his service and prices are first class. In fact no price increases from Flow gas this year ( well at least on the cylnder I buy ). I have heard it is the most expensive way to buy gas, but as I say its a back up heater and I find it very warm and efficient when I do use it.

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12466
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: Taken for mugs...maybe.

Post by papa_umau on Wed 16 Mar 2016, 10:59 am

Yes, tanked bulk-buying of domestic gas IS still more expensive than piped natural gas, but it is way cheaper than electricity for heating.

I still have a Super-Ser gas-bottle container for heating my workshop and as long as I have the right regulator I can buy the bottles from the cheapest supplier.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Re: Taken for mugs...maybe.

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 23 Oct 2017, 7:03 am