Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

The Eurovision with Joe and Jake.

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2573
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

The Eurovision with Joe and Jake.

Post by Angie baby on Sat 27 Feb 2016, 12:05 pm

Pop duo Joe and Jake, from The Voice, have been selected to represent the UK at May's Eurovision Song Contest in Sweden.

The singers, won a public vote with You're Not Alone, an uptempo, piano-driven song "about unity and love".

"It feels amazing," said Joe Woolford, 21, from Ruthin, Denbighshire. "We're just so proud."

"It's going to be incredible. We hope we make you all proud," added Jake Shakeshaft, 20, from Stoke-on-Trent.

Here is the news item from the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35670087

Voting change

This year's Eurovision also sees a change to the voting procedures, which organisers hope will give the contest more "drama".

For the first time, each country's vote will be split - with juries of professionals giving their votes first. The votes from viewers will be added in later and announced at the end.

The new method means a song that scores badly with the judges could still jump to the top should it rank higher with the public.

Do you like the Eurovision Song Contest or not ?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12657
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: The Eurovision with Joe and Jake.

Post by papa_umau on Sun 28 Feb 2016, 12:22 pm

Interesting my dear.

Although I don't usually watch the Eurovision song contest I still want to wish Joe and Jake all the best.

I really disliked the scoring system as just about everybody that has a brain knew that the voting was rigged country to country with politics and neighbouring countries getting and giving each-other's votes.

Now that they have changed this flawed voting system I would hope that in future the voting will be based on how good the music is and nothing else.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2685
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Thu 03 Mar 2016, 12:14 pm

Sorry Paps, but I truly HATE that TV programme as not only are most of the acts terrible, but the European idea of what a good song is is way out there.

I mean, how many good groups or songs have we had that have come from Europe.

I can count two, and they are not everybody's taste: ABBA and Bjork. lol!
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 04 Mar 2016, 11:58 am

There is no doubt whatsoever that Europe has a whole set of different rules as far as pop-songs are concerned.

All you have to do is get around a few of the European countries like Denmark or Germany to see that their taste in music is nothing like the taste of the rest of the world.

I will watch it because of the new format, but I have to admit that in the past my eyes have glazed over even before the programme is half-way through.

Let's not dismiss it until we have seen it this year.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2573
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 05 Mar 2016, 1:10 pm

As far as one of those bands are concerned, I think they are just about everybody's taste: ABBA, I mean.

Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing and hearing those guys doing their bit on the Eurovision contest. The trouble is that even although they are both great singers, they are going to have to get a good song if they will want any chance of progressing in the competition.

No doubt we will hear it on the telly long before they do it on Eurovision.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 06 Mar 2016, 11:52 am

Yes, Angie, it is the quality of the song that counts the most as there are many thousands of great singers out there.

A wee point:

Winners of the past have almost always been of the "Boom-bang-a-bang" type as those kinds of happy-clap-along songs always seem to go down well in Europe.

That might suggest that even if it IS a good song it will be how it is presented that will decide on if it can win the contest.

Eurovision tastes can often be very strange.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 18 Dec 2017, 5:02 am