Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

SIX million households switched energy.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12657
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

SIX million households switched energy.

Post by papa_umau on Mon 22 Feb 2016, 11:34 am

More than 6m households switched energy supplier in 2015

Energy regulator Ofgem releases new statistics showing nearly half of account changes were to independent companies.

More than 6m domestic energy supply accounts were switched in 2015, a 15% increase on 2014, according to new figures by energy regulator, Ofgem.

It is the highest number of account changes since 2011 and 40% of them were moves away from the big six power suppliers to a new breed of lower-cost independent companies.

HERE'S the full story from The Guardian online

As there are now more than thirty energy suppliers in the British market, and as the sites like U-switch are making it easy to do, it seems that the big guys no longer have a grip on the great mass of the market.

Because of this I would expect the big boys to start to behave as far as pricing and tariffs are concerned.

Watch this space.....

Papa......

Nuthin fancy
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 470
    Registration date : 2015-05-07

Re: SIX million households switched energy.

Post by Nuthin fancy on Wed 24 Feb 2016, 10:45 am

Hi all,

Thanks for this Paps. You certainly have to be on the ball with these companies. Unfortunately they prey on individuals who perhaps don't have the know how or information to 'switch', which includes a lot of elderly folk.

I am with First Utility who have just introduced one of the cheapest dual deal ( I am already on a deal, but I noticed they have not bothered to contact me to say I can get a cheaper deal ! ).

They simply cannot be trusted. They are asking me yet af gain to send in metere readings ( again you are doing their job, as I think at least every 12 months they have a duty to visit your property and do this themselves ! ). Just a point about energy systems.

Be aware of rip offs !!. It appears that as a fuel gas is at present the possible cheapest option, but my gas system is old and I wanted to change it. Now, I live in a standard 3 bedroom house with an extension/conservatory and brick garage. I am fully insulated and have cavity wall.

A new gas system can be a mess ( I have solid floors ) so I decide to get a quote from a 'German future heat' company in the UK which supplies very nice electric radiators.

It was worked out I needed 3 radiators, ( which can be easily pugged into my existing sockets, so a doddle of an instalation ) to cover the whole house...The price for 3 ??. Well its about 4 times what a gas central heating system would cost, and I could buy a nice new car for it !!, How the hell do these companies justify such rip off prices ???. Its fair to to say we will not be buying!!!

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Wed 24 Feb 2016, 11:18 am

A number of interesting points there Technician.

They do prey on the weak like almost all consumer predators do.

I had exactly the same problem with British Gas as even although there were cheaper tariffs they didn't tell me about them until I asked. Maybe my threat of leaving jeeed them up ?

I had a very bad experience with The Scottish Hydro Board when they started to send me estimated bills that were all over the place. After a losing battle to get this sorted I finally told them to stuff it and went to British Gas for my duel fuel supplies.

As I did not want to get any more estimated bills I organised that I would send it a reading every month, ( it's easy if you have them online ), and since then I have been able to keep a close eye on my bills.

I know I should try to get them to read the meters for me but as you said, they only read them once a year and that is not good enough for me.

I have seen the adverts for those tidy German electric storage heaters and I wondered what kind of a tariff, maybe off-peak, they would be working on. Electricity is still the most expensive fuel to use in this market.

Papa......

Nuthin fancy
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 470
    Registration date : 2015-05-07

Post by Nuthin fancy on Wed 24 Feb 2016, 10:37 pm

Hi all,

Contacted First Utility to enquire about Economy 7 tariff..they don't do it and said the manufacturer are not making the meters anymore (?).

This German system does not (according to the speil) need economy 7 and can be programmed to your needs. All very clever, but I don't know if my bills would be any less on electric, and as I said, eye wateringly expensive...Thats why its so damn difficult to find any prices for them on line.

Having said that I was speaking to a friend this evening ( same size house as mine ) who has just got one of these 'air punp' systems put in and its cost hin 12,000 !!!. As he is in his 70's he could well be dead before he gets any cost benefit out of that one !!!

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 25 Feb 2016, 11:21 am

Very interesting Technician.

I know for a fact that "Economy Seven" and the meters for it are still available to whichever company wants to install them.

My experience tells me that they really don't want to install these meters or tariff as they are just too much trouble to manage.

I know this because I asked about night off-peak electricity, ( Economy Seven ), to charge my new Nissan Leaf overnight, and British Gas's excuse was that I would have to guarantee to use at least forty percent of my total electricity to change the meter to Economy Seven.

I couldn't guarantee that, so I dropped the idea.

It will be fine if you can programme your German storage heaters for using overnight energy only but if you are not on Economy Seven the cost of your electricity will be no different from using it during the day.

I have already looked at air-pump and ground pump heating, and just like photovoltaic panels and domestic wind turbines it would take many years to get back in savings what they cost you to install.

AND... the government are fast pulling out of the subsidies that they allow for such installations.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 17 Dec 2017, 7:17 pm