Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Why are the whales killing themselves ?

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12466
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Why are the whales killing themselves ?

Post by papa_umau on Tue 09 Feb 2016, 12:40 pm

Another whale has been seen thrashing about in shallow water off Norfolk's coast - the seventh such incident in recent weeks.

Although the whale is just 300 to 400 yards from the shoreline, rescuers have said it is still alive.

Mike Puplett, of the UK Coastguard, is urging locals to keep a safe distance from the scene.

He told Sky News: "They are well out of the area they should be and it is difficult to assume why they are coming ashore.

Read the full story from Sky News HERE

As a naturalist and a conservationist I too am shocked at these beautiful creatures apparently committing suicide on our beaches.

It is amazing that science has not found a solid reason for why this is happening.

It has been suggested that sea pollution is making them sick and that is why they look for shallows in order to rest.

We must also consider that as these creatures are air-breathers they obviously don't want to drown, and maybe that is why they beach themselves.

Anybody ?

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2619
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Why are the whales killing themselves ?

Post by zathrus on Thu 11 Feb 2016, 12:45 pm

A very difficult one to understand.

Although we have seen stranding by whales and other sea mammals for years we have not seen it in such high numbers before.

It's a worry, as these animals are already endangered.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 12 Feb 2016, 1:00 pm

Yes, this is certainly a worry, as many whales are already close to extinction for many other reasons like overfishing by Japanese fleets etc'.

The latest news is that a group of whales that beached on Fife shores were found to have high levels of Cadmium and Mercury pollutants in their bodies.

Read about this report from the BBC HERE

Last edited by papa_umau on Sat 13 Feb 2016, 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2510
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 13 Feb 2016, 12:40 pm

Looking at the subject online I have found that there is a very long history of this happening all around the world.

Here is the Google page for this subject: https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?source=search_app#q=Why+are+whales+beaching+so+often

That said I do think that the pollution of the oceans by careless humans does contribute to this.

It is an interesting question Papa, that they may just be coming to land to die as they don't want to drown when they are no longer able to keep swimming.
    Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1284
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Sat 13 Feb 2016, 4:45 pm

Another theory (and one I find quite reasonable) is that these Sperm Whales are very deep water hunters, and they have strayed onto the Continental shelf, which is shallow, so they are unable to hunt, and consequently are dying of starvation and dehydration, as they get their water from their food (deep water squid).
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 14 Feb 2016, 1:59 pm

It's a thought HG, but I give the whales and other air-breathing sea mammals more credit than that.

It is true that many whales are deep water feeders, but even if they are, they still have to come up for air now and again.

I honestly don't think that very intelligent whales finish up in shallow water by accident as they are too smart for that.

I think they do that simply because they are closer to the air they breath in shallower water.

If they are sick or even dying I do not think they would want to die by drowning.

It's a terrible subject and one too hard to dwell upon.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 23 Oct 2017, 7:18 am