Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Gene editing gets go-ahead.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12180
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Gene editing gets go-ahead.

Post by papa_umau on Tue 02 Feb 2016, 12:38 pm

Scientists get 'gene editing' go-ahead

By James Gallagher
    Health editor, BBC News website

UK scientists have been given the go-ahead by the fertility regulator to genetically modify human embryos.

It is the first time a country has considered the DNA-altering technique in embryos and approved it.

The research will take place at the Francis Crick Institute in London and aims to provide a deeper understanding of the earliest moments of human life.

It will be illegal in Britain for the scientists to implant the modified embryos into a woman.

But the field is attracting controversy over concerns it is opening the door to designer - or GM - babies.

Get the full story from The BBC HERE

While I am a supporter of just about all scientific discoveries I think that once this particular door is opened and the knowledge is gained in order to be able to rebuild embryos genetically, this knowledge WILL get out to the world where somebody is going to use it to re-design a fertilised egg where it WILL be implanted into a women in order it to be carried to term.

What do you good people think of this ?

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2545
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Gene editing gets go-ahead.

Post by zathrus on Thu 04 Feb 2016, 12:11 pm

Yes, once such discoveries are out of the bottle they are impossible to put back in again.

We ARE eventually going to get designer children appearing somewhere in the world using this gene-splicing technique.

Just out of interest....

It was reported in my daily paper this morning that other scientists have discovered how to make mice live a lot longer by using this gene-splicing method.

Here is a site that tells us all about the process: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/05/120514204050.htm

Actually, quite scary stuff, don't you think ?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 05 Feb 2016, 12:55 pm

Who wants long-lived mice ? Wink

Just joking.

I think the big problem has always been to translate the results they get on animals into results they might get on humans.

Over the years we have heard many stories about great discoveries that have gone well in mice trials, but we never hear anything more about these discoveries.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2423
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 06 Feb 2016, 12:32 pm

Great thread starter Papa as I have always been interested in this line of science.

I have to agree that if these new DNA recombinant techniques are perfected and the ways of doing it are not kept secret they will get out across the world where ethics are not so well considered.

If babies can be produced with specific height, hair and eye colour and many other positive traits they will be by laboratories in countries that have such loose ethics.

I would go as far as saying that this was once called Eugenics and it was first practiced by Doctor Mengele of the Nazis.

The thought sends a shiver down my spine. Suspect Shocked
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 07 Feb 2016, 12:53 pm

Since the whole human genome was mapped just a few years ago the steps towards possible recombinant DNA procedures being successful have been taking great strides forward.

The main benefit from these procedures is going to be the ability to attack disease and abnormal genes right at the base of the molecules that make up our DNA.

In fact, it has been said that once we have totally discovered all that can be done for the human body using this technique, the fight against virile diseases like cancer and many others could be a thing of the past.

I guess that we are just going to have to rejig our rules as far as ethics are concerned if we want all of these discoveries to be made and applied.

A VERY big subject.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1247
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Sat 13 Feb 2016, 4:53 pm

Whilst the medical reasons are good, the 'Frankenstein Factor' is the danger.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 14 Feb 2016, 1:46 pm

"Frankenstein factor" or not, it will be done, as across the world it cannot be stopped.

Different countries have different ethics on such subjects and once it has been allowed, ( Eugenics or not ), in any one country It will eventually be adopted in most of the others.

"Gene splicing" is the great future of medicine and eventually we will be able to do just about anything by applying that technique.

If we could look back from a hundred years into the future we would be seen as nothing but butchers.

Papa......

TuppenceHapenny
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-08-26

Post by TuppenceHapenny on Sun 14 Feb 2016, 3:00 pm

As the mother of an adult child with Autism.
    My son has no physical/visual signs of his handicap (yeah I know it's not pc but ya know what-he's handicapped by autism). He has an iq of 138. Great guy. Fun to be around. Loyal as hell. All Honours classes in school. Amazing artistic talent. The part that absolutely kills me as a parent. He has an iq of 138. When he took the iq battery of tests-10 days with about 15 tests... He paid almost no attention to the tests. They weren't interesting to him so he got thru them as quickly as humanly possible so he could do something Fun. If I had the option of having that little bit of him changed- you bet your sweet ass I would have been first in line.
    Tuppence
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 15 Feb 2016, 12:41 pm

I am very interested in this syndrome as it seems that there have been very many autistic geniuses over the years.

There are many studies that say that although autism can effect "normality", ( sorry, but that is the only way I can think to put it ), very many autistic people make up for their losses by producing great minds that are outstanding in the more difficult mental disciplines.

There are many famous and brilliant people of the past that are now thought to have been autistic, but because autism was unknown in these days they were just seen as a bit different with mental and physical skills that were way ahead of their peers.

Here is a link to the Autism mythbusters site that gives a list of the great people of the past that may have actually been autistic too.

Many child prodigies of the past, who were austistc, or even suffered from Aspergers syndrome were of such other high-functioning skills that they eventually grew into scientific and artistic giants that could very well point to what humans may become when they evolve from Homo Sapients into Homo Superior in the future.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 19 Aug 2017, 12:45 am