Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Get rid of exploding hoverboards.

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2510
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Get rid of exploding hoverboards.

Post by Angie baby on Sat 09 Jan 2016, 12:54 pm

Amazon tells customers: Get rid of your exploding hoverboards.

Exclusive: Buyers of hoverboards urged to 'dispose' of them by Amazon, as it emerges that half a million people who receive the Christmas gifts could be exposed to fire risks.

Customers who bought hoverboards as Christmas gifts have been urged to "dispose" of them and accept refunds after three of Britain's biggest retailers suspended sales.

In an email seen by The Telegraph, internet giant Amazon has asked customers to take the self-balancing, two-wheeled scooters to a local recycling point for electronic equipment.

See the link to The Telegraph story here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/shopping-and-consumer-news/12052732/Get-rid-of-your-hoverboards-now-Amazon-tells-customers.html
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12470
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: Get rid of exploding hoverboards.

Post by papa_umau on Sun 10 Jan 2016, 12:43 pm

Well reported Angie.

The trouble is that these boards all look the same and the average buyer has no clue whether they are safe or not.

What needs to be done here is that the quality control people need to examine every one of them and if they are safe they should get a safety sticker on them that says so.

After this is done then all other boards should simply be banned and binned at the retailer level.

I found a site that explained why these self-balancing boards keep going on fire. See the report from Wired.com HERE

Many will already know, some will not, that even the best Lithium Ion rechargeable batteries can go on fire or even explode if they are misused and it appears that this is the reason behind many of the fires.

Of course it is even worse when some of the Lithium Ion batteries in these boards are of poor quality to start with.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2619
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Fri 15 Jan 2016, 10:36 am

My sister bought one of these things for my nephew and even although I warned her it seems that the one she bought is a good one.

It would be nice if we knew the names of the manufacturer of the boards that are being recalled Paps.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 16 Jan 2016, 12:23 pm

Hi Zath'.

A very good question.

There is a lot of good advice available on the so-called "hoverboards" and even Googling it I got a lot of hits on the subject.

I guess we just have to take as much advice as we can get and then make up our minds.

HERE is the Google page I looked at on the subject.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2510
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sun 17 Jan 2016, 12:14 pm

Thanks for the responses to my posting guys.

I guess these things are just too dangerous to buy from anybody if they have Lithium Ion batteries in them.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 18 Jan 2016, 12:19 pm

It is not just the Lithium Ion batteries, it can be the poor wiring or even the poor charging system that is causing the fires.

Sometimes the imports of hi-tech stuff from the far East can be fine as they are getting more and more expert at the manufacturing of these items, but like with every manufacturer across the world there are items that are made well and there are items that are just rubbish.

I would like to suggest that the groups that attach the British Kite Mark of excellence or the CE mark on our consumer goods, for the same reason in Europe, should work harder at ensuring that such dangerous toys and electrical items do not get through to the market.

After all, that is their job !

Anybody ?

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 23 Oct 2017, 12:40 pm