Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

"One wage towns" becoming the norm ?

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12657
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

"One wage towns" becoming the norm ?

Post by papa_umau on Tue 05 Jan 2016, 11:56 am

New minimum wage could mean fewer basic pay rises

Politicians must act to make sure a higher minimum wage does not leave thousands stuck for years on the lowest possible pay, according to the Resolution Foundation

In cities like Sheffield and Hull almost a third of workers can expect higher wages, the living standards think-tank says.

But it fears that we could see "one wage towns" where employers cope with higher salaries for their most junior staff by failing to put up pay for more experienced workers.

Read the full news story from The BBC News HERE

Just when we were seeing more and more firms starting to deliver the recommended but not compulsory Living Wage we are now seeing some firms paying the Minimum Wage but saving on this cost by just not increasing wages via normal wage-rises for anybody else.

If this is not fixed very soon we are going to see Britain becoming just another low-wage economy like China or India.

DO we REALLY want that to happen, I have to ask ?

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2685
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: "One wage towns" becoming the norm ?

Post by zathrus on Thu 07 Jan 2016, 12:48 pm

Didn't know about that Resolution Foundation Paps.

Mind you I will agree that the norm for the lowest wages in Britain paid via the minimum wage is very liable to become the level for many others that are at the moment getting slightly better pay.

Before wages start to grow for everybody, that lowest common denominator is going to have to raise to something more like the true "living wage".
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 08 Jan 2016, 12:27 pm

Well said Zath', as even although a few enlightened companies are choosing to pay their lowest wages workers the Living Wage most of them still see wages as a drain on profits and that is a good reason to keep them as low as they can for as long as they can.

That said:

Congratulations to transport giant National Express for being the latest firm to pay their lowest waged workers the Living Wage.

The company said it will be the first private transport group to pay the voluntary rate of 8.25 an hour and 9.40 in London.

The voluntary rate is higher than the new national living wage of 7.20 an hour for over-25s from April.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2573
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 09 Jan 2016, 12:32 pm

So long as lending rates stay low I think we will continue to see new investment put into wages in some areas.

There will still be the employers that put profits before decent wages and it is these employers that need to be watched very closely to see if they even keep up with the minimum wage never mind the living wage.

There still many companies that are refusing to pay the minimum wage and not until they are forced to comply with the law will they ever pay decent incomes to their workers.
    Gandhi
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Number of posts : 251
    Registration date : 2015-05-09

Post by Gandhi on Sat 09 Jan 2016, 5:34 pm

It was always known that the minimum wage would reduce the pay level - now it has happened the loony left are up in arms when they should be congratulating themselves
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 10 Jan 2016, 12:21 pm

I will agree that the introduction of the Minimum Wage did start a race to the bottom.

It still has to be a good thing for people at the bottom of the wage pile to get a guaranteed wage that can be depended on so that they can plan for the future, even if that future is going to be a very poor one.

If the enlightened companies are willing to pay the Living Wage instead of the statutory Minimum Wage then they have to be congratulated.

Once these wages have been sorted out at the bottom end, what needs to happen now is that zero-hours contracts should be banned and this ban should be enforced.

Many, if not all companies try very hard to keep their wage bill down, but this drive for low wages only succeeds in producing an underclass that can often finish up on benefits like working tax credits etc'.

Last edited by papa_umau on Tue 12 Jan 2016, 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Papa......

Gandhi
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by Gandhi on Tue 12 Jan 2016, 8:19 am

By zero rate contracts i presume you mean zero hours contracts?

I am on one of them and am quite happy with the flexibility it gives me - I can work as and when it suits me rather than the company.

Zero hours contracts have arisen because of oppresive labour laws too much in favour of the employee. If the government have no bottle to repeal them then this is what happens. If they did then unemployment would go down rapidly
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 12 Jan 2016, 12:10 pm

You really do have a skewed view of the truth Gandhi.

Mind you I guess that is to be expected from an anarchist.

Of course you are pedantically right that I meant "zero-hours" contracts.

I do think that very few people that do not have an independent income would support zero-hours contracts as the worst thing about them is the fact that within these contracts the potential employees never know how many paid hours they are going to get each day.

This harps back to the days of the dark satanic mills, or the docks, where people queued up every morning just hoping that they would be taken on for a miserable job with miserable pay for a few miserable hours.

Oh yes, zero-hours contracts are definitely one of the weapons of the middle class and above employers and they have nothing whatsoever to do with "oppressive Labour Laws".

NO WAY to plan for the future. and they should be banned.

Papa......

Gandhi
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by Gandhi on Sun 17 Jan 2016, 7:32 am

Thats what I like about you Paps - you feel entitled to pronounce on things you have no experience.

Well I can assure you there are many people like me quite happy on these contracts - yet you want to take away their livelihood. Typical looney leftie.

It enables us to work for more than one employer and call the shots. If employers dont like what I do I go work somewhere else. I can even do more than 48 hours a week if I like rather than some bureaucrat making the decision for me. Maybe the quality of your work or your attitude made you unwelcome and you were unable to do this?

Power to the people I say!

Gandhi

Last edited by Gandhi on Sun 17 Jan 2016, 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Signing)
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 17 Jan 2016, 12:07 pm

If you want to work at more than one job at a time then I hope that all that extra lifting and laying of work-tools makes you happy and you are also happy with not being able to know what your income will be from day to day, then fair enough.

If you have any interest in this zero-hours contract system you will know that in the main they are both destructive and usually reserved for the people who cannot get any other type of work.

It sounds strange hearing the epithet "power to the people" coming from an anarchist.

People like yourself, who it seems do not agree with the great mass of the British workers, would very quickly be against zero-hours contracts if you were stuck on them.

Nobody can build a working future on such contracts and you know it.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1316
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Wed 27 Jan 2016, 3:45 pm

I have worked on a Zero hours contract, in a Nursing Agency, and for some folk it can be ideal. But for those with families it can be difficult, especially when the employer decides to use it as a punishment, as I have seen happen to people who rock the employer's cosy boat.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 28 Jan 2016, 12:44 pm

Well said HG.... The Zero Hours Contract system HAS been used as a weapon in the past.

As I already said. So long as it is a choice then that is fine but when it is the only thing available it is bound to get abused.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 18 Dec 2017, 4:46 am