Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Ethical spending up to 38 billion.

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2377
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Ethical spending up to 38 billion.

Post by Angie baby on Thu 31 Dec 2015, 12:28 pm

It may have been the floods, or it may have been the latest environmental summits, but it seems that more people in Britain are now willing to spend their money on things that don't damage the planet.

How great is that then ?

Here is the report I found on the internet about this: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/ethical-spending-surges-to-38bn-in-uk-as-consumers-look-to-green-alternatives-a6790956.html

I take it that you are still planning to buy an electric car next year ?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 11956
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: Ethical spending up to 38 billion.

Post by papa_umau on Sun 03 Jan 2016, 12:38 pm

Great thread-starter Angie and also a good link to look at. Thanks my dear.

And, yes, I have made my mind up about that one.

I noticed yesterday, ( the wife actually drew my attention to it ), that they are now advertising the Nissan Leaf for sale on the telly.

It is already the biggest electric car sale in the world and Nissan look like they are planning to keep it that way.

I did also notice in the news that the electric car government grant has been extended to the end of 2017 and increased by a further 500,000.000 to go towards heavily subsidising the installation of fast chargers at everybody's home.

See the report from Autocar HERE

Sadly, the electric and hybrid cars out there are still too expensive to compete with the sales of ordinary cars on a like-for-like basis.

Not until this comparison is the same for price will any real amount of electric and hybrids cars, and other EVs, be seen on our roads.

The serious drop in fossil fuels costs for running internal combustion engines on has made this change over to EVs less attractive than it should be.

I am sure that the price for oil and with it the price for petrol and diesel will get back up to what it was before and if this happens nobody will be happier than myself to have gone all-electric.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2488
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Thu 07 Jan 2016, 12:36 pm

Worth noting, but I would really like our government to stop playing at being environmental and to really start to shut down reliance on the fossil fuels that are doing us so much harm.

I was reading about the new power highway that has recently been completed for sending green energy from the North of Scotland to the Scottish central belt and onwards by the national grid down to England and places South.

This is one great step forward but it is only one step and it will be overshadowed by the ways that energy is generated in England and Wales.

Yes, Paps, you are eventually starting to get through to me. Suspect
    Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2377
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 09 Jan 2016, 12:24 pm

Tony Blair said that he had plans to build eleven new nuclear power-plants over the years but this has been reduced to eight, and only one has been started at Hinkley Point.

To be able to build any more Britain is going to have to seek technology and some money from France and even China are going to have a large share of the building cost of future nuclear power stations.

The political argument is that nuclear energy is clean as it requires no fossil fuels but they think we forget how expensive they are to build and how difficult they are to decommission..

This is one level of "ethical spending" that I have great doubts over.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 11956
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Sun 10 Jan 2016, 12:56 pm

Great stuff folks !

Yes, it is easy to say that they are going to be environmentally friendly but it is much harder to do.

I take the point that we rely on fossil fuels far too much, but I am not one who willingly wants to go down the route of nuclear power.

If more money was put into micro-generating schemes we might see much less of a load put on the power grid and on the dirty power stations.

Soon we are going to just have to grasp the nettle here but until that time we, the British public, need to pressurise the government to do the right thing.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 28 Jun 2017, 9:45 am