Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Have we got our priorities right ?

Nuthin fancy
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 470
    Registration date : 2015-05-07

Have we got our priorities right ?

Post by Nuthin fancy on Mon 28 Dec 2015, 5:12 pm

Hi All,

Just a thought, why has spending on flood defences been cut by about 14% this last year and foreign aid increased into the billions ??.

Talk is that charity should begin at home. What do you think.

I speak as I sit here in the midst of flood chaos. So far I am lucky, but I am surrounded by 'red warning zones'. Our river the 'Wyre' has burst its banks inundating some local villages but has not touched us on the coast. My mates, one who lives in Barrowford and another in Whalley have not been so lucky. Both places resemble a 'mini Venice'. Its set to p*ss down again on Wednesday onto already saturated ground. God help those poor sods in the Calder Valley and in the Lake District and borders as they are sick to death of it.

Of course you cannot stop nature, but in reality are this government just taking the mick and care Jack S*it about the population of this country ?

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 11956
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: Have we got our priorities right ?

Post by papa_umau on Tue 29 Dec 2015, 11:05 am

Yes Technician, these so-called "every hundred year floods" are now coming every year, and like this year, a number of times in some places.

The government need to do three things in my mind:

1). Create proper flood barriers that do the job they were designed to do.

2). Be aware that climate change is now biting hard and the effects are only going to get worse.

3). Ban new building on flood plain cheap land.

Because people are no longer going to get flood cover on insurance it is vital that building is done on land that is ABOVE the worst scenario of flood expectations.

Papa......

Nuthin fancy
    Major
    Major

Floods

Post by Nuthin fancy on Tue 29 Dec 2015, 1:41 pm

Hi All,

Thanks Paps, some sensible points there.

One thing, why the hell are we building on 'flood plains'????. The name says it all, and the problem is lack of space as we have just not got enough housing which is made WORSE by the mass oif immigrants flowing into the UK.

I am ( and I know many will balk at this !! ) NOT convinced climate change is the major issue, particularly as this country contributes very little to the problem.

Why the hell are we giving money to the Chinese to educate them on climate change when they are building on average two new coal powered fire stations per week!!. Rainfall of the intensity seen this last week has been recorded before in all these areas historicaly; its not new, but building on flood plains is.

The density of the population and housing has grown tremendoulsy over the years as the money to protect them has been fittered away on 'pet' projects to satisfy the green lobby and the environmental 'luvvies' in their politicaly correct bubbles ( Wraysbrough on Thames was 'sacrificed' to the Thames floods the other year to protect a rare type of river mollusc !!, and the Environmental Agency are failing to dredge rivers )..You could not make it up.

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Wed 30 Dec 2015, 12:21 pm

You said: "One thing, why the hell are we building on 'flood plains'????."

And I already said that land available for this kind of development is very cheap land and that is why the developers go for it.

If the government, ( any government ), were to ban any development on flood plain land then there would be less homes and new industries at risk from flooding.

Seems common sense to me !

The climate change deniers have found themselves in a deep rut here, as the years go by, and as the evidence of climate change is accepted by more and more climatologists and scientists, they, ( the deniers ), are eventually going to have to admit that climate change is here and it is now and it is doing terrible damage all around the world.

The Chinese: Yes, they are the greatest polluters next to the Indians and they are driven to keep increasing their output for export at any cost.

They are, as seen in my postHERE trying to cut the output of climate change gasses in their car manufactury industries, but they still need to do a great lot in their truck, bus, train and plane manufacturing industries and their energy output industries, as you already said, as they burn more coal for this reason than and other country in the world.

I agree that many of the "green" lobby, both here and abroad are just playing the game as they do not want to lose the incomes they get from the dirty industries.

If the fossil-fuel driven industries don't stop what they are doing I honestly believe that they are going to poison the earth to a state that will not be able to recover from until it is too late.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2377
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Thu 31 Dec 2015, 12:36 pm

To answer your question Technician:

No we do not have our priorities right at all.

Although most of the people try to aim our financial priorities at the right targets the government seems not to be able to do that at all.

As the seventh - I think - richest country on the planet we should be doing much more about finding the homeless children places to stay that are warm, clean and dry, and the requirement for food banks is now at an astronomical level and is an indictment on the present government's feckless inability to care for the weak and the poor.

I have four different children in my class that are at present technically homeless and they are being victimised by the private renting landlords.

They too should be sorted out, and I hope I see this in 2016 !
    Nuthin fancy
    Major
    Major

Priorities

Post by Nuthin fancy on Thu 31 Dec 2015, 2:44 pm

Hi All,

Thank you Angie, I could not agree more. Of course all the points made are of help, and with us being one of the richest countries only rubs it in even more, and just shows how the governments hold the electorate in contempt. Of course we can find the money for decent flood defenses if a good deal of it was not fittered away on 'consultants', quango's, back of the 'fag packet' deals and fraud.

One 'scandal' is that Britain has paid in 503billion since the country became a full member of the European Economic Community at the beginning of 1973.

When converted to todays prices, the cumulative sum is the equivalent of half a trillion pounds or almost 33million a day since joining....So that is not a major reason to leave the EU then I don't know what is !!!. If we vote to leave we can spend this money on our priorities, like the NHS, not EU bureaucrats. ( perhaps even flood defences ! ).
    Another false argument we hear time and again is that our EU membership gives us a chance to influence the organisation's decisions. Yet despite being one of its biggest financial contributors Britain is still treated with contempt and our demands routinely ignored !.

It is a disgusting waste of our money to featherbed unelected/unaccountable trolls in Brussels, and that is even before the billions in our 'International Aid' budget; handed out to despots and other dubious 'causes'. ( Ie, We gave cash for Flood defences to a small Serbian town last year; and even the Mayor of the place questioned why we were giving it when we had problems with flooding in the UK !! ).

Anopther issue is the influence yet again of the EU who encourages the environment agency to NOT dredge rivers as the silt is seen as hazardous waste and they go undredged to 'protect the environment' ( never mind the poor human beings living near the rivers though ! ).

Technician

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2377
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Fri 01 Jan 2016, 1:48 pm

I do not disagree with any of that Technician, ( sorry Papa ).

The cost of us being in the EU is frankly mind-boggling.

How much good could be done for the homeless children in Britain with that kind of money ?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 03 Jan 2016, 12:48 pm

Don't be sorry Angie, as your opinion carries as much weight as anybody else's does on ROB. In fact I encourage strong decent in these pages so long as that disagreement does not start to get nasty.

I think I know that you would never be "nasty" Angie.Evil or Very Mad

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 28 Jun 2017, 9:40 am