Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Is this taking the mick ??

Nuthin fancy
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 470
    Registration date : 2015-05-07

Is this taking the mick ??

Post by Nuthin fancy on Sat 19 Dec 2015, 2:22 pm

Hi all,

I have been hearing with growing amazement of the situation on the small Isle of Bute ( where, many years ago I had a girlfriend in Rothesay !!! ). It seems that the local council along with the UK and Scottish Partliament has decided to 'resettle' some 200 plus Syrians who were recently flown into a windswept and wet Glasgow airport. Problem, is, no one decided to inform the local population.

Bute has high unemployment and a poor standard of living. Young people cannot get jobs or afford homes, and there is a substantial retirement population. While on  humanitarian grounds it is admiranble to help refugees one Scottish minister has indicated that for every 1000 coming over here there may be one or two who are fundamentalist sympathisers. The problem is that large numbers sent to Bute cannot understand a word of English, and have been advised not to interact with the local population.

What is really upsetting the locals is the fact that they have been given:

The services of an Iman who comes from Glasgow to take Friday prayers in a local church hall ( don't know of many Mosques who would be willing to open up to non Muslims do you ? )

Free toys for the children

Interpreters when needed

Free housing

Free gas and electricity

£200.00 lump sum each to help them along as a starter

They are are being provided with mobile phones as well ( although one local reporter, who could find no one from Syria to talk with him with said he thought most of then had got the latest i phones anyway !! )

The question I ask is this...What about the locals and their needs ??. I thought the SNP and Government has no money and planned an 'austerity budget'. it seem there is one rule for one and another for the native Scots who were born and bred there.

So, is it fair ????

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12657
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: Is this taking the mick ??

Post by papa_umau on Sat 19 Dec 2015, 5:15 pm

In a word...NO !

Of course it is not fair to parachute so many refugees into a small island even if the total numbers are not all that large in comparison to Scotland.

When the Scottish government promised to hold open arms to the Syrian refugees I don't think that was meant be be their idea.

All that has happened there is that they have created just another ghetto.

Papa......

Current date/time is Mon 18 Dec 2017, 10:36 am