Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

More Xmas travel Misery

Nuthin fancy
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 470
    Registration date : 2015-05-07

More Xmas travel Misery

Post by Nuthin fancy on Wed 16 Dec 2015, 9:56 am

Hi All,

I have added this here as I think it is an important consumer issue. Unfortunately it also demonstrates the attitude of many in this country to providing a 'service' ( or NOT as the case may be ! ). To quote from the Mail:

'Christmas rail meltdown: Lines across the country closed for up to two weeks, links to Heathrow and Gatwick severed and journey times doubled'.

It seems once again that the brunt of this farce is to take place in the South, although Wales and the Midlands and West country are also affected. What puzzles me if why the hell these so called 'bosses' and workers cannot simply organise a service over Xmas for the needs of the traveling public ( its called a rota. it takes forward planning, organising and communication. Considering the vast salaries these muppets are on I would expect them to be able to do this ! )

The 'service' will see in particular serious disrtuption of journeys to both Heathrow and Gatwick airports; which it is thought is aimed at airline passengers. The public need to think also that while being disrupted they are paying through the nose for this crap. We have the dubious honour of the highest rail fairs in Europe, with the Heathrow Express ( what a joke ! ) being perhaps the most expensive short rail journey in the WORLD!!.

We see this farce now every year, so so much for 'service'. Its the same with most of the public services which are both getting more costly by the year and deteriating. I am reminded of being in the German Alps 3 years ago at Xmas and watching the refuse collectors out and about early on Boxing day morning....don't think I would have seen that in the UK!

Technician

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12470
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: More Xmas travel Misery

Post by papa_umau on Wed 16 Dec 2015, 10:39 am

Thanks for the interesting thread-starter Technician.

Sadly, for many years - and especially the Tory years - the essential services, like all of the state subsidised and partly-privatised services have suffered from lack of support and lack of money.

It is also the case that many of these services are just not managed correctly and in a way that might cut customer disruptions to a minimum.

You mentioned the refuse collections out on the Xmas holidays and I agree that if we would only look and copy we could learn a lot from how the state-owned and run essential services in Europe, namely Germany, France and Switzerland do it.

Their trains and buses are modern, clean, fast, warm, on-time and cheap while ours are the exact opposite.

YES... we have a lot to learn from Europe ! Twisted Evil

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2619
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Fri 18 Dec 2015, 12:38 pm

Don't miss a trick when you can support Europe eh Paps ?

Mind you, it is true what Technician is saying as there always seems to be some disruption on the railways when the people are using them the most.

It seems almost as if they are deliberately trying to make our lives as much of a misery as they can.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 19 Dec 2015, 12:25 pm

Yeah, it certainly "seems" that way mate.

And YES, I do jump at the chance to support what happens in Europe, as they have experience that we don't get unless we look at how they do it and make comparisons.

I see nothing wrong in stealing other people's ideas if they are better than our own.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2510
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 19 Dec 2015, 1:06 pm

Maybe it is something to do with the railway repair workers getting treble time for working over the holidays ?

Whenever anybody else is on national holidays and they agree to work on them, I believe the going rate of pay is treble time.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 20 Dec 2015, 12:04 pm

No my dear, I think you are right that treble time is paid on public holidays.

Mind you, who would work on Christmas day if you had a choice ?

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 23 Oct 2017, 12:39 pm