Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

What does Daesh mean ?

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2545
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

What does Daesh mean ?

Post by zathrus on Thu 19 Nov 2015, 12:37 pm

We are more and more hearing the term Daesh coming from world leaders who are talking about IS, ISIS or ISIL.

I was wondering what that acronym means so I looked it up.

Seemingly this is a term taken straight from the Arabic language, and the ISIS groups hate its use.

Here's what I found: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/what-daesh-mean-isis-threatens-6841468

If that is a term that they hate so much I think we should all be quoting it, even if they threaten to cut out the tongue of anybody using it.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12180
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: What does Daesh mean ?

Post by papa_umau on Fri 20 Nov 2015, 1:23 pm

Thanks for the info' Zath', as I had heard that term too and wondered about it.

AS the ISIL - or whoever - mob hate that name maybe that is why people are starting to use it.

I guess we will just have to watch and see if it catches on ?

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1247
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Fri 20 Nov 2015, 3:04 pm

I would rather use Daesh than the name of an Egyptian Goddess for this deluded bunch of death dealers. They give ordinary peaceful Muslims a bad name.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 21 Nov 2015, 12:30 pm

"ISIS".....of course. I never made that connection until you pointed it out.

I don't know why I missed that one as I have been interested in Ancient Egyption matters for many years, as I find that civilisation quite fascinating, even if it is based around an inveterate application of mass slavery.

The only two tattoos that I have are both ancient Egyption ones that I designed myself: I have a flaming Ankh on my left upper arm and an Ancient Egyption cartouche on my right upper arm, inside of which is the spelling of the word ANKH in hieroglyphics.

I got them done when I was fifty. Evil or Very Mad Suspect

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1247
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Sat 21 Nov 2015, 2:25 pm

I don't really understand the current fashion for 'ink', although there are some extremely talented tattoo artists around. Criminals in particular seem not to understand they they are more easily identified by tatts.

Then there is the fashion aspect; how long before your tatts become deeply embarrassing, either by subject matter or by becoming misshapen by moving south over the passage of years. or if you should lose or gain weight?

I have always said the only tatt I would get would be a small target on my butt, to show the nurses where to aim! Wink . Think I'll stick with henna!
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 22 Nov 2015, 12:29 pm

When I was in the civil service, the branch I was in denied us the chance to get tattooed, ( or to grow a beard either ), so even although I always wanted a tat' and a beard I had to wait until I retired to get them both.

The two tat's I have are normally under even a short-sleeved shirt because they are high on my arms, and because of where they are they cannot be easily seen unless I want them to and they have not changed in colour or shape since they were done.

I have never regretted getting tattooed.

My grown-up daughter thought I was a silly old duffer of course ! Twisted Evil

( Sorry for letting the thread move off-topic ).

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 19 Aug 2017, 12:48 am