Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Car rental ripoff for Brit holidaymakers.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12344
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Car rental ripoff for Brit holidaymakers.

Post by papa_umau on Tue 10 Nov 2015, 1:33 pm

Car rental 'rip-off' for UK tourists: Get a better deal on holiday cars if you say you're from Norway or Australia...just don't admit to being British.

British motorists renting a car abroad should lie about their nationality if they want the best deal, an investigation has found.

When Channel 4 researchers tried to hire a Ford Focus with rental company Hertz, they were quoted 24.99 a day.

But by changing their country of origin to Norway, the cost fell to just 198.50 kroner or 15.79.

Read the full story from The Mail Online HERE

It's funny that I found this today, as I have come across this both on the island of Malta and on Tenerif. ( Not Hertz, I must admit )

The first question they ask is : Are you English ? but I always say firmly I am "Scottish" and then I invariably get the best deal available when they are hearing this from a seventeen stone and six foot one Scot than from a weedy little English-bloke.

Anybody ? Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil

Papa......

Nuthin fancy
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 470
    Registration date : 2015-05-07

Car rental

Post by Nuthin fancy on Tue 10 Nov 2015, 4:37 pm

Hi All,

Ruddy Hell, I didn't know that!!!. Thanks for the advice. Always worries me renting abroad ( BTW Malta is perhaps the cheapest place in Europe to hire a car ). The bandits like to add all sorts of extras at the check desk, so extra 'insurance' is perhaps best purchased at home and taken with you. (I am also a litte reluctant in that I have 3 points on the plastic, but they have almost expired, althought it was for a minor violation, not speeding or booze !!!! ).

I suppose its 'buyer beware'. It looks like we Brits are easy pickings. as someone who travels a great deal this is great news to have......Another scam exposed !!! ( Think I will just put on the fake Scottish accent )

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Re: Car rental ripoff for Brit holidaymakers.

Post by papa_umau on Wed 11 Nov 2015, 10:58 am

Ha ha.... Very Happy

If you have a good Scottish accent then you might get away with it, but fake Scottish accents are very easy to spot.

Yes, a totally clean licence does help and if you have points on it you may find that they will not care what they were for.

Talking about Malta....I found that on that island the roundabout discipline does not exist and it's just a case of first arrived being first served. Totally scary.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2585
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Thu 12 Nov 2015, 11:13 am

"Roundabout discipline" you said.

Well I don't know about Malta but I find the roundabout discipline in Britain bloody awful.

As most of you know, I am a window cleaner and I usually work on shop windows and sometimes on high buildings, using their built-in hoists.

Because my work is done where the glass is I have to drive through the cities a lot and in the cities I have found that going round a roundabout is probably the most annoying and frustrating thing to do on Britain's roads.

Two main points piss me off: One, where the car in front of me or already on the roundabout does not use their indicators and I have to guess what they are going to do next, and Two, I always thought that when approaching a roundabout you have to give way to the traffic on your right, but often some drivers are so impatient that they try to beat you onto the roundabout no matter where they are coming from.

No wonder there is a lot of road rage these days.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 13 Nov 2015, 11:52 am

Yes, and tailgaiting too.

Don't you just hate it when inconsiderate drivers behind you travel right up your exhaust pipe ?

I bet that THEY don't like it done to them. Mad

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2465
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 14 Nov 2015, 12:13 pm

Although I have passed my test, as I have had little actual experience of driving, I do not feel confident enough to hire a car when abroad.

I have been to Malta twice but I would especially not like to drive there if that is how they drive on the island.
    Nuthin fancy
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 470
    Registration date : 2015-05-07

Car renta RIP OFF

Post by Nuthin fancy on Sat 14 Nov 2015, 3:11 pm

Hi all,

You just have to take extra care when driving abroad, and check the car thoroughtly when you hire it. I take photo's of all the car, so I know what it was like when I picked it up just so they cannot say this and that happened when it was in your keeping. Malta is a funny place to drive in, as the island has got crap signs, so you need a good map. Provided you avoid the rush hour its not too bad. I found the locals delightful, and of course they drive on thge same side as us, so that is not so bad.

I was once in the German Alps in a hired car which I got through my hotel ( all very professional and a good price. I didn't think my German was up to the speil in the car hire place, as the guy in the office was in the village of Traunstein and did not speak English so the hotel owner did it for me ).

When the car was delivered it was OK and I took photo's, but the guy was odd, as he appeared drunk !!. Anyhow had the car and then checked it again on return to find a scuff on the boot area. I know I had not done it but was panicing as I thought I would get the hit. However same guy came to pick it up and he still appeared drunk..and no problems!!!...The lesson is always be aware to the scams.

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 15 Nov 2015, 12:18 pm

Great story Technician.

I think the best lesson there is to find drunk people to hire from. Evil or Very Mad

That "take some photos" is a great idea, even if you are hiring a car in Britain. After all, it is no effort to take a few piccies with your mobile phone these days.

One of the tricks I found was them not pointing out scuffs on the edge of the mag-wheels when you start but always finding these when you hand it back.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1278
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Thu 19 Nov 2015, 4:53 pm

It's the same with the toy thread; many Brits are mugs when it comes to price negotiation. They see us coming!
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 20 Nov 2015, 12:45 pm

So true HG, but I think we are slowly changing in this respect.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Post by Hell's Granny on Fri 20 Nov 2015, 2:42 pm

Think we need to put pedal to metal to change this sort of thing. We think the best of folk a little too much these days.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 21 Nov 2015, 12:17 pm

I think that the main trouble with the Brits is that we just don't like confrontation and we seem to be far too easily embarrassed.

As far as I am concerned HG, I always think the worst of folks until I find out differently. Maybe I have been too long at the consumerism thing while I run ROB ! Too cynical !

After all, I have been at it here and previously on Rip-Off-Britain for more than eight years.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Post by Hell's Granny on Sat 21 Nov 2015, 2:28 pm

I think you are right about embarrassment and confrontation, but like you, I've become cynical over the years and find it hard to trust. It is a hard lesson, as I would like always to believe the best of people.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 22 Nov 2015, 11:56 am

Know exactly what you mean HG. Very Happy

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 23 Sep 2017, 5:33 pm