Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Vauxhall to recall 220,000 Zafiras

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12657
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Vauxhall to recall 220,000 Zafiras

Post by papa_umau on Fri 06 Nov 2015, 12:21 pm

After the Stooshie around Volkswagen because of it's crooked emissions software HERE we see Vauxhall pulling in a very large number of one particular model that has been spontaneously going on fire for years.

At last, it seems that they are paying attention to the people who have been complaining about this for so long.

Vauxhall have been pressurised into this by a Facebook campaign group where 130 of these cars have caught fire.

Papa......

Nuthin fancy
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 470
    Registration date : 2015-05-07

Vauxhall

Post by Nuthin fancy on Fri 06 Nov 2015, 1:44 pm

Hi All,

Quite correct Paps. I have had Vauxhalls for years and I like em. The emmissions bit has not been of too much concern to me. I know we don't want polution, but I would not call myself a green in any sesnse of the word. However, I do think this Volkswagen scandal is going to spread and do terrible damage to the car industry. Once you start poking at a hornets nest then its all hell to play. Don't think we have heard the last of this scandal by a long shot.

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Latest news...

Post by papa_umau on Sat 07 Nov 2015, 12:49 pm

Unlike yourself, it would seem, Technician I DO care about the environment and it is because of this that my past five new cars have all been low emission diesels, ( except one, which was a Toyota Prius petrol hybrid ), and now that the Tories have removed the incentive to buy low-emission diesels, ( the less than 100g/km incentives have been removed and all cars that are not zero emissions rated will now pay a flat rate 140 per year ), and because of the VW scandal, we cannot even guarantee that these supposedly "low-emission " cars are in fact as low as they claim, I plan to buy an electric car next year.

HERE is this news from The Telegraph.

And, HERE is the news on the effect this might have on general diesel car sales in the future.

Last edited by papa_umau on Mon 09 Nov 2015, 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Papa......

Nuthin fancy
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 470
    Registration date : 2015-05-07

Vauxhall etc

Post by Nuthin fancy on Sun 08 Nov 2015, 7:15 pm

Hi All,

Oops, that was a telling of then !!. Its not that I do not care about the environment Paps, but I would not call myself a radical green at all.

Its the hypocricy in this country that brasses me off.

Typical example. last week we came very close to a power shutdown ( and its not even very cold yet ). We have the lowest energy capacity in modern history, in fact we are organising to PAY businesses compensation if they need to reduce power or output due to shortages. This is at a time when we are actively demolishing coal powered power stations, and the last deep coalmine in the Uk is shutting. We are relying on 'wind energy', of which we do not have sufficeint, they are massively expensive, and they often break down when the wind gets too high!.

We also have 'solar power', but surprise surprise, there is not much sun in the winter; and as it goes dark sooner in the winter they don't work!!. this at a time when China is building about one new powestation every week or so. I do not agree with all this polution from coal, but the UK's contribution is negligable to the worlds problems. Also we have been actively stymied by a fanatical EU directed green lobby...the populace of this country will not be too pleased once the power goes down..watch this space.

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Re: Vauxhall to recall 220,000 Zafiras

Post by papa_umau on Mon 09 Nov 2015, 12:03 pm

I have to agree that the "green energy" processes are far from what they should be.

It has to be good that the dirty fossil-fuel power-stations are now closing but the government, ANY really environmentally-aware government, should already be putting other green generating systems online BEFORE the coal-fired stations are closed.

They haven't started to apply the knowledge we have on tidal power yet and the tides still come and go twice every 24 hours and all of that energy is lost.

They just do not have the mindset to REALLY introduce clean energy because of the lobbying-power and influence that the companies that run the coal and gas power-stations have on them.

I recently spoke here about another two new systems of generating and these two systems are only in the experimental stage so far.

These systems are 1 ). Putting tidal-lagoons around the coast where generators could be set into the walls so that electricity would be made by both the tides coming in AND going out. ( Only two so far ). And...
    2 ). Where much cheaper and without moving parts wind-generating-"tubes" 1....AND.... - 2 - be erected so that they are making power when the wind blows strongly or weakly rates from any angle.

Also...Domestic roof panels that both generate electricity and hot water from different types could be much better if they were only subsidised so that we all have them on our roofs.

Domestic micro-wind-turbines are also a good thing, but they too are very expensive to mount on or beside our homes.

Sorry, if this has worn away from the Vauxhall Zafira recall starter but this is a VERY important subject for me.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2573
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 14 Nov 2015, 12:19 pm

One of my work collegues had her Zafira parked on the school grounds when it too went on fire.

The kids loved it but we had to quickly usher them into the classrooms.

The others who had cars parked beside it had to brave the flames to shift their motors out of the way.

I hope they get this sorted out as to me it was really scary to see a car on fire.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 15 Nov 2015, 12:34 pm

I have never owned a Vauxhall, don't like them, but I remember a fire in my very first car. ( It was given to me when my step-father come into some money and treated himself to a new Humber Sceptre ).

This motor was a bit odd as it was a Hillman Minx Special and probably the first of the floor-change models.

It had a painted full metal dashboard and when I was driving it I smelled smoke coming from under the dashboard. I stopped of course and just as it went on fire I took one of the battery connections off.

I always carry an extinguisher in my cars and that did come in handy.

After a look under the dashboard I noticed that a wire coming from a metal switch on the side of the speedo' cowl was melted to the inside of the dashboard. ( Shorted out ).

I had to get a new wiring harness installed as it was melted right down the centre of the loom and all the way to the battery.

That car,which I got for nothing, turned out to be a pig-in-a-poke.

I never did get the Humber Sceptre ! Crying or Very sad

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 17 Dec 2017, 7:28 pm