Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

BAE Systems buys into hypersonic travel.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12657
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

BAE Systems buys into hypersonic travel.

Post by papa_umau on Mon 02 Nov 2015, 12:10 pm

Want to fly at 2,500mph? BAE Systems does and is willing to pay £20m for it.

Defence giant BAE Systems to buy a stake in Britain's Reaction Engines, which is developing revolutionary SABRE engines for ultra-fast aircraft.

SKYLON

The FTSE 100 group is set to purchase 20 of Oxfordshire-based Reaction Engines for £20.6m, in a deal that will see the defence giant’s expertise applied to research on the privately-held company’s engine, which combines jet and rocket technology.

Get the full story from The Telegraph HERE

Well folks, it seems that some British companies are able to invest large amounts of money in future events where it cannot be known if the money invested will give a guaranteed return.

I am actually quite pleased about this, ( being a science fiction and science fact nut ), but I wonder where they are getting this money from in these days of austerity for everybody else ?

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2685
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: BAE Systems buys into hypersonic travel.

Post by zathrus on Thu 05 Nov 2015, 1:22 pm

"Buy twenty of these engines" you say ?

What the hell are they going to do with "twenty" of them when even one of the Skylon space/air-craft is not ready to fly yet.

I know that when the Skylon has been proven to be safe and dependable there will be many millionaires that would want to fly in it, but will they get more of the well-off people, that flew in the Concorde, to fly interorbitally in order to make the project viable in the future ?

"Pie in the sky" I think. ( excuse the pun Twisted Evil  )
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12657
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Fri 06 Nov 2015, 12:49 pm

A very salient point Zathrus.

I think that at the moment the Skylon craft is only planned to be used as a goods carrier, via it's payload bay, and it could eventually be an excellent way to deliver stores - or even personnel, later on - to the international space station.

It's greatest quality is it's cheapness and fast turnaround interorbital space-plane capability that would cost a tenth of the price of the now-defunct Shuttle.

I do think that a personnel and crew module could be dropped into the payload bay once it is developed for carrying people.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 18 Dec 2017, 2:40 pm