Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

The political power of bricks and mortar.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12657
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

The political power of bricks and mortar.

Post by papa_umau on Wed 21 Oct 2015, 10:44 am

While the Prime Minister David Cameron told his party conference earlier this month that housing was the "one big piece of unfinished business in our economy" and he wanted a "national crusade" to get homes built; he was talking about homes to buy.

The Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn told his party conference that housing was "a top priority" and promised the biggest council house-building programme since the 1970s.

The difference here is that Cameron wants a home-owning society, while Corby wants a renewal of the council or housing association homes FOR RENT.

Thatcher already tried to make the country a home owning society but all she succeeded in doing via her "right to buy" scheme was to deplete the best council housing stock and get many thousand of people into mortgage debt that they simply could not handle.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2685
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: The political power of bricks and mortar.

Post by zathrus on Thu 22 Oct 2015, 11:52 am

I see what you are getting at there Paps, as while it has to be good to help young couples to buy their first home, I think that these numbers are swamped by the numbers who just want somewhere to stay at fair rents.

I guess that a balance has to be struck here as both sets of needs are as important as the other.

The building programmes that are being talked about here have to be fair to all of our citizens and not just those that can afford the deposit for a mortgage.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12657
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Fri 23 Oct 2015, 11:38 am

I cannot say that I disagree with with your thinking when it is put like that.

I just think that the Tories seem to avoid taking any interest in helping the poor or the sick or the old while they still try to appeal to their own kind.

They just seem not to give a damn about people who are worse of than they are.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 18 Dec 2017, 10:24 pm