Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

12 million fall into digital skills gap.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12344
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

12 million fall into digital skills gap.

Post by papa_umau on Mon 19 Oct 2015, 11:57 am

More than 12 million fall into UK digital skills gap.

Over 12 million people, and a million small businesses in the UK do not have the skills to prosper in the digital era. That is the warning today from Go.On UK, a charity set up to promote digital skills.

It has produced what it calls a digital exclusion heatmap, pinpointing the areas where people are most likely to miss out on the digital revolution.

Read the full story from The BBC HERE

In these days where the kids know more than their teachers and the juniors in industry know more than their managers a whole generation is soon going to die that will just not move into the digital age.

How strange it is that the younger generations are now teaching the older generations, instead of the other way round !

Papa......

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

And, here it is from business.com

Post by papa_umau on Tue 20 Oct 2015, 12:24 pm

More than one million businesses in the UK, as 12 million people, are falling into the digital skills gap, a charity has warned.

A survey of 4,000 people across the UK by Go.On UK, the charity launched to promote digital skills in the UK, found that Wales is in bad shape when it comes to the five key, but basic, digital skills.

A third of people in Wales are not able to manage information, communicate, make payments, solve problems, and create stuff online. London, Scotland and East Anglia, however, were much stronger with more than 80% having those skills.

The survey also found a gender gap in the digital skills gap. Eighty per cent of men said they possessed the five skills, compared to seventy four percent of women.

Read more from Fresh Business Thinking HERE

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2585
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: 12 million fall into digital skills gap.

Post by zathrus on Thu 22 Oct 2015, 11:58 am

There is no good in whining about this, we should be ensuring that all of the people that need that kind of education get it.

The best way to do this is to ensure that the ones that already know are used to educate the ones that don't, but who want to find out.

Not everybody has the interest required to keep up with the fast pace of the digital age.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 23 Oct 2015, 12:19 pm

I suppose you are right there and as we get older we get further and further away from the available knowledge of the technological advances.

It is a young persons world, and I think that those who are interested and who want to get educated in this directiom will get what they need either from day-school, university, or from the technological manufacturers themselves.

More and more we see post-graduates taking up unpaid jobs on work experience and as interns just so they can get in on the ground floor of these types of education.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2465
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 24 Oct 2015, 12:22 pm

I am not what you might call all that "old" but at twenty-eight I too can consider myself to be one of the also-ran's as far as the digital future is concerned.

It is particularly bad for me as a teacher in a primary school as I often get embarrassed by the fact that while I should be teaching them, on many occasions they can teach me in this respect.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 25 Oct 2015, 12:40 pm

Thanks for admitting that Angie, as I a bet there are many more primary and secondary schools that have teachers that are supposed to be teaching all about the new digital age when they have little clue about it themselves.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 23 Sep 2017, 5:34 pm