Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Shafted, by my own Stupidity !

Nuthin fancy
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 470
    Registration date : 2015-05-07

Shafted, by my own Stupidity !

Post by Nuthin fancy on Sat 17 Oct 2015, 3:19 pm

Hi All,

A tale of caution. Folks on here will know I am on the look out all the time for being conned and being ripped off, but this time I have fell foul, so don't do this !!!

Scenario:

Want my gutters around the house cleaning. Problem, quite a big job..Main house, extension and conservatory. Most of them are quite high, and while I can esily clean them out I am not risking going up ladders and the ground slopes so a scaffold tower would not be that stable. The guys who built my conservatory were very good and efficient and did all my guttereing 12 months ago, so I phone them ( over a month ago ) and they said they would fix a date. Four phone calls later they gave me a date and time to come. I duly waited in and yes, no one turned up.

Having been messed around for over a month, and then kept waiting all day I phoned again only to be told they had forgot, so I told them not to bother, and I would get someone else !.

I then went on to 'Rated People' and a tradesman contacted me almost immediately and a said he would pop round, which he duly did the next day and gave me a quote. all very nice, but he was I think a bit too nice. I had some lingering doubts, but anyway went ahead.

The guy comes round and starts. I nip out to see a mate about some business and get back some 15 mins later. 'Oh, can I see you he says' ?, and then shows me some photo's of my roof. 'Your valleys are blocked with some debris from the side of the roof and will need fixing and pointing' he says ( funny I am thinking, that's a lot of debris in only 12 months??. ). Alarm bells ring, so I said thanks but no thanks, just complete the gutters. Some 15 mins later he says he has finished ( a short hour, more like 40 mins !!! )

I am not happy, and he can see it. However I paid him and said send me those photo's to my e mail so I can have a look. Fine he says he will. That was two days ago, and yes, no photo's!!

Firstly, I feel ripped off. Secondly I feel stupid as I should have been more cautious, but I wanted the job doing. Over and above that I am angry at the debris in my valleys, as I have a sneaky feeling he deliberately did damage to my rook and put them there himself, but I have no way of proving this. I would NOT recommend this individual and feel like contacting Trading Standards, but cannot prove anything. Likewise the length of time on the job was in my opinion just too short.

I think I now need to contact my original builder and get him to have a look ( who is 100% genuine !! ), but if he has damaged the roof, then more cost !

Lesson: do your homework and don't rush...There are just oo many bandits out there!!!!

Technician
    Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1284
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Re: Shafted, by my own Stupidity !

Post by Hell's Granny on Sat 17 Oct 2015, 3:43 pm

Agreed. I had a guy knock my door unannounced to say he was doing both my neighbours' gutters and would I like mine done too for 150?

I explained I was a pensioner on a low income and why was he cold calling. He denied he was cold calling as he was doing the neighbours' gutters! You can't explain to some folk can you?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12456
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Sun 18 Oct 2015, 12:44 pm

A salutory lesson for us all Technician.

The thing is that you did the right thing anyway as the trades that are on that website are supposed to have been vetted before thay are allowed onto the list.

I too used to clean my own gutters until I became too dangerous on a ladder. ( I have thousands of hours going up and down ladders with my trade as a joiner and my later trade as a domestic satellite installer ), but when the knees started to get to be a bit dodgy I could not risk it any more.

What I do, is I get my window cleaner, to clean out the gutters now and again and he is happy to do it for a tenner.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2619
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Thu 22 Oct 2015, 11:30 am

This thread has highlighted very well the minefield that is hiring unknown tradesmen.

Although there are a number of so-called comparison sites that say they will select a trustworthy trades company, because they, like the other comparison sites, are financed by the people they are supposed to be vetting there is no guarantee that the ones that rise to the top are any better than the rest.

Being a tradesman myself I know that local word of mouth is probably the best way to find out how good the local trades are. This is usually found in the local and regional papers or by asking neighbours that have already had that type of job done successfully.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12456
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Fri 23 Oct 2015, 12:09 pm

Thanks for that Zath' !

There is no doubt that we will always be at risk from the gangsters and the no-users out there and sometimes it is VERY difficult to see through them before they have done the dirty deed.

I guess all that we can do is to try to keep vigilant and to try to test the ones we choose as thoroughly as we can before we let them do the job and before we give them any money.

Not an easy task ! Evil or Very Mad

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 21 Oct 2017, 4:59 pm