Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Carphone Warehouse

Gandhi
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Number of posts : 251
    Registration date : 2015-05-09

Carphone Warehouse

Post by Gandhi on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 8:20 am

My missus went into CW a week ago to buy a new phone after her samsung was stolen.

Not really listening to her the salesman persuaded her that the new iPhone 6s was more suitable and she went away somewhat dumbfounded having signed a 40/month contract.

When she managed to brick the phone because there were no instructions and the store didnt provide any setting up assistance she went back to the store only to be told it was not the stores responsibility and she had to go to apple.

At that point i became involved and went back with her to cancel the contract and return the phone within the 14 day cooling off period quoting the sale of goods act. The manager became very angry and refused saying it was not their problem. I said it was as the goods were purchased from CW. He said the contract was with vodafone and he had no obligation under any law whatsoever. I threatened to contact trading standards at which point he then asked me to leave the store, calling the police when i refused!

When they arrived he reluctantly refunded the money after i had left the store to calm things down

Hows that for customer service?!!!!

Has anyone else had any experiences with CW?

G
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12201
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: Carphone Warehouse

Post by papa_umau on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 1:18 pm

Maybe that was an example of the "marketeer" trend to give women potential buyers a hard time and a bad deal as it has been the practice that many high-pressures sales tactics are especially aimed at women.

I can only say that co-incidentally I was in Carphone Warehouse last Wednesday asking to upgrade my long-in-the-tooth "Samsung Galaxy Ace" and as I browsed the PAYG phones a sales assistant alighted on my shoulder like a vulture and started the "contract" shpeil.

I quickly stopped him in full flow and reported that I wanted to upgrade my old Samsung and that I wanted to stay with PAYG and the Android software.

He immediately stared to show me the options that were available to me in this respect. I saw a very nice and modern Galaxy S4 with 4G and a forward facing camera and a gold finish that was much bigger than my old Ace at 165.00 but at only 133.00 if I upgraded and stayed with EE.

I said that I was interested but told him I would return later after considering it. He was not all that pleased but he was very pleasant with me as I left the shop.

Ghandi...

I want to congratulate you on the way that you handled the bad deal that your wife had been given, even when you had to push it as far as you could using the "Sale of Goods Act".

The trouble is that women are, in the main, not good at confrontation and your strength in the examination of your rights did what all shoppers should do in that situation.

Sadly that is not always the case and because of it many people are overawed by the professional sales-pitch that is delivered in such shops.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2428
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 17 Oct 2015, 12:30 pm

So, you think that female shoppers are too easily taken advantage of, eh Papa ?

Well, let me tell you that nobody is going to take advantage of this woman.

That aside, I have noticed that most of the sales assistants do not respond well to complaints and that is why when anyone wants to complain, they should go to the manager, and overtly record the conversation on their telephone.

Not enough people are willing, like Gandhi, to invoke the Sale of Goods Act when they have a problem in a shop as the same people really cannot handle the embarrassment of making a complaint in public.

Most of the Brits are just not good at complaining.
    Nuthin fancy
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 470
    Registration date : 2015-05-07

Carphone

Post by Nuthin fancy on Sat 17 Oct 2015, 2:32 pm

Hi All,

Well done !!. You need to stand your ground with these chancers. Not many people would have had the bottle or confidence to do that. I have a bog basic phone ( nothing smart about it ) as I use it as a phone, not a portable PC !!!. I sign no contracts, and pay as I go with GIFGAF. I would not even have that, but its there in case I need to phone in an emergency. No fancy APS, 4G or any other crap. The world has gone mad, just like my nephews who have these devices coming out of their backsides !!

What has happened to a basic PHONE ??????.....These 'snake oil' salesman will do all in their power to sell the latest singing/dancing gadgets, then renage on all responsibility once you have handed over the dosh. I don't trust any of em being the cynic that I am !

Technician
    Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1247
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Sat 17 Oct 2015, 3:45 pm

I won't have a smartphone at any price; and neither will I enter into a contract. PAYG all the way for me!
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 18 Oct 2015, 12:35 pm

The thing is HG, that now that so many things can be done with a smart-phone, modern life cannot be maintained without one.

I think that so long as we do not pay too much for the PAYG smartphone or get conned into having a contract attached to them they can be very useful for many things.

They can even be used for making telephone calls now and again. Twisted Evil

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Post by Hell's Granny on Sun 18 Oct 2015, 12:43 pm

A lot of the stuff done with smartphones, (apps, etc) I just don't need. All I need a phone for is making calls, occasionally texting, and an occasional photo maybe.

I'm a Luddite at heart and I don't see the need to clutter myself up with gadgets and make myself a mugging target.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 18 Oct 2015, 12:50 pm

Not calling you a goose, but they say that "what's good for the goose is not necessarily good for the gander"

Personally, as Gandhi said, I just love anything that is a bit techy, so long as it does not rip me off.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Post by Hell's Granny on Sun 18 Oct 2015, 12:59 pm

I'm more than a little technophobic; I can wreck technology with a glance! Laughing
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 19 Oct 2015, 11:25 am

You and my wife would get along great as she is terrified of anything technological as every time she touches anything like that it breaks.

Because of this I have to do all of the stuff that is in any way electrical, including the banking, the internet ordering of stuff, using the sewing machine, and the paying for just about everything.

Maybe she is not so daft after all eh ?

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Post by Hell's Granny on Mon 19 Oct 2015, 1:40 pm

I can do basic mechanical and electrical repairs, but computers and smart phones scare the willies out of me! I leave that stuff to my son, daughter and Son in Law. I know my limits! Laughing
    Gandhi
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Number of posts : 251
    Registration date : 2015-05-09

Post by Gandhi on Tue 20 Oct 2015, 8:00 am

I myself have a Blackberry Classic - it has a keyboard as well as a touch screen so you can choose either. And because it is a blackberry it is a good phone first and foremost. My problem with smartphones is my fingers are too fat (working class background) and i inevitably set off two or three different applications whenever i use the touchscreen!

G
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 20 Oct 2015, 11:49 am

I have very fine, if powerful, joiners fingers, ( my mother used to call them piano-fingers ), but I too can hit the the wrong pseudo-key more often than not.

That is the reason I am now going for a much larger screen on my next smartphone.

It also helps if you turn the phone to landscape view, I have found.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 23 Aug 2017, 11:12 am