Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Hydrogen from the sun.....

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12657
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Hydrogen from the sun.....

Post by papa_umau on Tue 29 Sep 2015, 11:18 am

I have always been a supporter of the plan to power cars and other vehicles via hydrogen fuel cells and I have been going on about the best way to generate hydrogen is using the power of the sun and hydrolysis from water.

FINALLY, HERE is a company that is going to do just that:

As I plan to buy a totally electric car next summer I was happy to see that electricity CAN at last be generated by the many green means and no longer by the burning of fossil fuels.

THIS, in my opinion is the future.

This news was brought to me by an American company called Green Car Reports who send me a daily newsletter on all subjects connected to the usage of alternate fuels to drive cars.

Please read the link I have supplied above and tell us what YOU think of this idea.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2685
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Hydrogen from the sun.....

Post by zathrus on Thu 01 Oct 2015, 12:02 pm

Woo-hoooo, you can afford to buy an electric car eh ? Twisted Evil

Not until there is at least one hydrogen pump in every one of the filling stations around the country will we see cars and lorries etc' being bought that run on hydrogen fuel-cells.

We are going to have to get used to seeing electric cars on the road and charging stations everywhere before even the electric cars catch on.

Oh, and that "Hypersolar" sun-generated hydrogen-making machine will only work in countries that have the sun all day.

AND, of course it will not make hydrogen at night unless it is run from the national grid.

Sorry for raining on your parade Paps, but such revolutions are still in the far distance.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 02 Oct 2015, 12:32 pm

Yeah mate, it's a bit of a catch 22 that they won't put the chargers or Hydrogen fillers in if there is not enough vehicles on the road to warrant this, and the car-buying public won't buy these cars until the tank-fillers and chargers are there already.

The government are working at ensuring that there will be a network of free chargers at most of the service centres on the motorways, but this has not been completed yet.

And actually while these hydrogen generators do work best in sunshine, they can still keep making hydrogen when it is dull. ( Just like roof-mounted photo-voltaic panels can do ).

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2573
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 03 Oct 2015, 12:01 pm

I have always been a bit worried about how dangerous hydrogen can be.

It seems that they are all avoiding this idea when they are pushing their hydrogen-powered cars etc.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 04 Oct 2015, 12:26 pm

Hydrogen gas, in liquid form is no more dangerous that LPG is.

The filler-nozzles that are attached to the pumps are secure enough that no hydrogen will leak while filling up your tank.

The trouble is that at the moment there are only about fourteen such filling stations right across Britain.

As more and more Hydrogen fuel-cell cars come on sale we will find that the filling points will increase in numbers just as the EV electric charge points are doing just now.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 18 Dec 2017, 10:15 pm