Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

What the hell's a period party...

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2573
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

What the hell's a period party...

Post by Angie baby on Sun 27 Sep 2015, 12:06 pm

Us girls have something that the men will never really understand: Periods.

And although I do not have a daughter in my family yet I am not looking forward to telling her all about the "bad" boys out there or why they all of a sudden may feel sick, in pain, and even bleed.

In America they have what is curiously called "period parties" where pubescent girls can get together and find out about all of the "female" problems that they are going to face.

One of the strangest things I have found is a doll that is used at these "parties" that can be used to explain all of these female bodily functions.

As a teacher who often tries to deal with such questions from my girl pupils - that really should have gone to their mothers - I have mixed feelings about this idea.

Here in the Jessica Valenti column in the Guardian site that deals with this strange event: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/sep/25/doll-period-party-lammily-normal-barbie

And here is the American Lammily site that explains more about this: http://lammily.com/

What do any of you, even the men, ( fathers ), think of this ?

Last edited by Angie baby on Sat 03 Oct 2015, 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12657
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: What the hell's a period party...

Post by papa_umau on Mon 28 Sep 2015, 11:53 am

Oh my God...( and that from an atheist ), this send shivers down my spine.

I find it amazing what some American companies will do to make money.

That is a subject that most men do not want to have anything to do with, but it is a subject that the mothers should be able to handle at home.

Mind you I do think it will be easier to take that from a faceless company than from a near relative.

A difficult subject that will always be difficult if parents are unable to talk to their kids.

Sex education for kids is another one of those subjects that some parents find hard to talk about.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2573
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 03 Oct 2015, 12:21 pm

I guess that looking at it from the American market experts point of view, it does look like a good sales avenue that has not yet been explored.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12657
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Sun 04 Oct 2015, 12:33 pm

I am a great believer in childrens' education but I do not like the idea that this kind of education is connected with the private markets selling new dolls, or whatever.

This level of education should be worked out between the parents and the teachers and should have nothing whatsoever to do with the private marketeers.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 18 Dec 2017, 5:03 am