Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Tricks restaurants use to con you.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 11956
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Tricks restaurants use to con you.

Post by papa_umau on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 11:50 am

Tricks restaurants use to con you out of money revealed by Spanish consumer group

Hidden VAT prices and charges for cutlery which emerge on the bill at the end of a meal have been revealed as among the tactics used by restaurants to con diners out of their money, according to a Spanish consumer rights group.

Facua has warned customers of underhand tactics used by establishments in a blog post, and launched the #BaresParaNoVolver, or #BarsNotToReturnTo, hashtag to spread the word. Here are some of the most mind-boggling:

Read more on this from the online Independent Newspaper HERE

I have written about this before as connected to service charges that are added to the bill but are not paid to the waiters and waitresses, but this Spanish consumer group has opened my eyes to the other scams and tricks that restaurants use.

Many of these scams will probably be found in Spanish restaurants by people on holiday but I would not put it past the top restaurants back home following these practices.

Does any of you have experience of these tricks or scams ?

Papa......

Nuthin fancy
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 470
    Registration date : 2015-05-07

Restaurants

Post by Nuthin fancy on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 7:45 pm

Hi all,

Great thread Paps; thanks, one close to my heart. Myself and the wife love to go out and have a meal occasionaly, but yes, we are on the guard. I have found it worse in the city's and in some of the chains. Manchester is full of such bandits, ie:

Adding a 'discressionary' service charge
    Corkage, ie paying THEM to open your bottle of wine if they do not seve alcohol
    Paying for tap water ( or them refusing to serve it !! )
    Paying 'extra' for the same food at different times, ie on a weekend
    STUPID bar prices
    NOT displaying a menu outside the premises ( which they have to do in mainland Europe )
    Giving the impression something is 'free', ie table nibbles', then getting it added to the bill at the end
    Passing off cheap cuts of meat as 'prime cuts', covering it in sauces so you cannot recognise what the hell you are eating ( Indian restaurants are the experts at this little trick ), and Pizza parlours advertising 'cheese' pizzas which have some reconstituted gunk which is passed off as cheese !!

We could go on, as they say 'buyer beware'

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Re: Tricks restaurants use to con you.

Post by papa_umau on Wed 16 Sep 2015, 10:41 am

There's a great list that was not even mentioned in the original thread starter.

It seems that if you are not on your guard there are lots of ways you can be scammed in restaurants.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2377
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 19 Sep 2015, 11:57 am

Yes, and thanks from me too Technician as that is all good stuff to remember.

Mind you the meals that my partner usually buys for me either comes out of Burgerking or the next-door chippy. Suspect
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 20 Sep 2015, 12:27 pm

Something tells me that you are not as poor as you are always claiming you are Angie. Cool

Surely a teacher should be up there with the rest of the middle-classes as far as salaries are concerned ?

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 28 Jun 2017, 1:16 am