Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Artificial intelligence...What now ?

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2473
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Artificial intelligence...What now ?

Post by Angie baby on Sun 13 Sep 2015, 12:12 pm

As the use of computers becomes a day-to-day happening for our kids and I see some of the children in my class knowing more about the subject than I do, I wonder just where computer use, and artificial intelligence in particular, is going.

I found an interesting article on the BBC online news that talks to this subject.

Here are the headlines:

The promise of intelligence

The quest for artificial intelligence (AI) began over 70 years ago, with the idea that computers would one day be able to think like us. Ambitious predictions attracted generous funding, but after a few decades there was little to show for it.

But, in the last 25 years, new approaches to AI, coupled with advances in technology, mean that we may now be on the brink of realising those pioneers’ dreams.

Please find the full article on the BBC here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/timelines/zq376fr

What do you think is going to happen to artificial intelligence and if it does become "sentient" will we find that the computers might eventually take over, making us obsolete ?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12351
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: Artificial intelligence...What now ?

Post by papa_umau on Mon 14 Sep 2015, 12:26 pm

Wow, thanks for that Angie, as that is a subject very close to my own heart.

As computers double in memory and processing power every year it is inevitable that they will begin to start to look at us as their masters.

I don't think it is a matter of IF, I more think that it is a matter of WHEN.

I honestly think that eventually computers will become intelligent enough, self-aware enough, and powerful enough to finish up being a bit like Skynet in the Terminator films, and once that happens we will all have to look out.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2585
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Thu 17 Sep 2015, 10:54 am

There is a great programme that is on the TV; BBC I think, that examines exactly this premise.

An expert in IT said that it would be very difficult for any man-made machine to have the same intelligence as a human being as they would just not have a way to cram so many possible computations as the human brain can process without the robot's brain case being the size of double-decker bus.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 18 Sep 2015, 11:47 am

Yes, that is going to be the hardest problem to beat, because our brains have so many neurons that keep connecting and disconnecting to be able to process all of the stuff that we need to be able to work with, that a computer that could do that would never be small enough to be mounted anywhere on a robot that would be as good in AI as our basic intelligence already is.

I think the programme you are thinking about is: the BBC Panorama series that can be found on BBC1 at 8-30 on Mondays. It is called "Could a Robot do my job".

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2473
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 19 Sep 2015, 12:10 pm

I will start to worry when computer-driven robots are able to copy and improve themselves without human help.

I know that robots already work helping to make other robots, but before they can do this job they have to be programmed by human beings.

Proper intelligence in robots cannot be valued as such until they are fully aware of themselves, can have creativity, with the ability to make new things they were not programmed to make, and can fully extrapolate old knowledge and make new knowledge from it.

I am on the ball on this as I am actually teaching it to the kids in my class at the moment.

I think we are still a long way off this yet, but I do think that it will happen eventually.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 20 Sep 2015, 1:06 pm

Yes, my dear, you certainly are "on the ball" with this, as it is true that eventually computers and robots will become sentient.

The speed that computers are growing and advancing is often indicated by the term "exponentially" as they double what they did last year and they will keep doubling in power every year.

Just try doubling up while counting and see how far you get until the numbers get too wieldy to work with. eg, 2,4,8,16,32,64,128, and that is just six steps.

Mind you, to make a robot that has the same intellectual power that any lower animal has in it's brain will mean that these robot brains would have to be like animal brains, ( made biologically and not mechanically or electronically ).

Even although computers, ( electronical brains ), are getting smarter and smaller every day they are going to have to get so small that they can be inserted in a robot somewhere without loss of computing power in order to be able to even begin to compare with our brains.

Sorry if I rabbited on a bit there but this subject is one I could talk about for hours.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 25 Sep 2017, 4:15 pm