Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

UK freight trains are kept busy by consumerism.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12470
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

UK freight trains are kept busy by consumerism.

Post by papa_umau on Tue 08 Sep 2015, 12:42 pm

Consumer shopping sprees keep UK freight trains chugging along

by Kasmira Jefford of the City AM site.

RISING consumer spending, faster delivery services and a jump in UK car manufacturing has sent the number of goods needing to be sent up and down the country by freight trains steaming ahead, according to new research from Network Rail.

In a report published in partnership with Royal Mail and the Co-op, Network Rail said there were 80 more freight trains now running per week compared with last year, with new cars and demand for fresh groceries driving growth.

Demand has steadily risen over the past decade, with a 75 per cent uplift in the volume of goods travelling by train since 2005.

As far as I am concerned, this is great news in a number of ways.

Firstly, by this, we are now seeing many of the heavy goods services being taken of the roads and onto the rails, where they should be, and this shows that consumer spending is getting better all of the time.

Maybe now the government might consider building the rail-hubs close to high population numbers where more goods can be sent by this method and where it can then be transferred onto smaller goods vehicles for delivery to the retail outlets ?

This has been talked about for many years but so far it has never got off the drawing boards.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2619
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: UK freight trains are kept busy by consumerism.

Post by zathrus on Fri 11 Sep 2015, 1:36 pm

I guess it will all boil down to whether the cost to put heavy goods on the rails is cheaper than continuing to put it into lorries.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 12 Sep 2015, 11:57 am

Not just that Zath', but the companies that use heavy lorries to shift their goods can deliver right to the door of their wholesalers while rail transport has to be loaded with containers, unloaded at a rail-head, and then taken by heavy lorries to the wholesalers.

Rail is just not convenient enough yet.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1284
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Mon 14 Sep 2015, 12:42 pm

Somewhere, last year or the year before,I said that I thought that we should be getting the heavy goods vehicles off the roads, as there were so many accidents caused by foreign drivers not knowing that they couldn't cook or park on the hard shoulder, and other road safety rules. I said then that the Channel Tunnel would be better used purely for goods. Events this summer seem to have confirmed my belief. I feel that where possible, Network Rail should reopen the marshalling yards still existing, build new ones where necessary in major towns, and then use smaller lorries to take the goods to their respective destinations.

Now, I know that is far more easily said than done, and I haven't gone into the details of my thinking, as this is already a long post for me, but surely it doesn't need a brain surgeon to be able to make sense of it all? Put it on the railway in sealed containers in whichever country it originates, then perhaps Calais can also get back to some form of normality.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 14 Sep 2015, 1:07 pm

I have just said that HG.

These "marshalling yards" are what are curiously called rail-hubs, but the main problem here is that there are just not enough of them.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 23 Oct 2017, 12:29 pm