Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Did you watch the new X-Factor ?

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12197
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Did you watch the new X-Factor ?

Post by papa_umau on Tue 01 Sep 2015, 12:44 pm

Did you watch the new series of The X Factor?

The X Factor returned to our TV screens this weekend with the hope of finding the world's next big music superstar.

The new series has two new presenters, Caroline Flack and Olly Murs, and two brand new judges.

Pop star Rita Ora and BBC Radio 1 presenter Nick Grimshaw have joined the judging panel for the first time.

We want to know what you thought of the new revamped show.

HERE IS the question as it was put on the BBC's Newsround programme.

Read the "chat" comments on the site and then give us YOUR views.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2545
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Did you watch the new X-Factor ?

Post by zathrus on Thu 03 Sep 2015, 12:15 pm

I do actually watch it, but not because I want to; it's because the wife wants to.

I sometimes get out and do a bit of gardening or tinker with the van when it starts to annoy me badly.

I could quite happily strangle that Cowell punter as he is a really nasty piece of work.

Also, I hate that they use up so much of the audition time with people they just want to make a fool of and who will never have any chance of progression through the stages.

I guess that they do it because they think it is "good television", but if that is what they think of the viewers then I think it is an insult to our intelligence.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 04 Sep 2015, 12:40 pm

I totally agree with you there my friend.

The drive for "good television" means that instead of this being a genuine talent show it is turning out to be just an exercise in one man's self-absorbed money-making drive.

I am sure that the great majority of the TV Viewers would be happy if we just saw the talent instead of seeing the ones that are only there to be laughed and scoffed at.

Here are the headlines from The Online Daily Mail:

X Factor suffers its lowest ratings for a launch show in TEN YEARS as Simon Cowell's shakeup fails to impress viewers.

Simon Cowell has been declaring for weeks that this year's X Factor is the best yet.

But despite a judges shakeup, new hosts and mixing up the format yet again, the ITV show failed to draw in the viewers during Saturday night's launch.

The series premiere slumped in the ratings, shedding well over one million viewers from the 2014 launch's total, and recorded the lowest debut viewing figures since the second series of the show in 2005.

Read more about this from The Daily Mail Online HERE

Well, do you think that the new format is going to encourage more people to eventually switch on to this failing show ?

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2428
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 05 Sep 2015, 12:48 pm

If "Strictly" is put opposite the X-Factor then I can see X-Factor falling away until it is eventually a failure.

The sad thing is that there are a number of really talented people on that program and it will be wrong if Cowell's megalomania kills off this valuable show.

We need shows like this as without them where would the talent go in order to be discovered ?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 06 Sep 2015, 12:51 pm

I think that there will always be TV talent shows as the producers know that the viewers like them.

Whether they will stick with the present X-Factor format or not is quite another story.

Papa......

Nuthin fancy
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 470
    Registration date : 2015-05-07

X Factor

Post by Nuthin fancy on Mon 07 Sep 2015, 4:46 pm

Hi All,

I'm like Zath. I not so much watch it as 'tollerate' it'. I have minimal say on what is on the TV as the wife dominates the viewing ( I cannot be bothered watching a seperate one as I don't like much that is on anyway !!). As for the 'talent' that is very much a personal thing. Its a great opportunity to watch individuals (wanabees) who often have no talent at all making a fool of themselves.

I see it as a form of 'greed', as a lot of people think that they can pursue 'stardom' and get rich quick, while not being in the real world and realising you have to work damn hard for your brass, and often for many many years.

Of course Cowel and co are laughing all the way to the bank, so there are individuals who 'make it' of course, but I think most of the wanabees are deluded.

I suppose it sells TV, but I think I am very much in the minority as I find most of the stuff boring ( I am afraid my knowledge of modern so called pop culture is minimal to zero ), so I am turning into an old fart probably which does not bother me. There are too many important issues in the world to take my attention than that crap !!

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 08 Sep 2015, 12:16 pm

Yes Technician, both you and me are quite serious about the state of the world and of course these problems should be looked at in a serious way.

Having said that, I am sure that there are a lot of people out there, including many of the people who read ROB, that don't always stick to the "serious" matters.

The Off Topic Lounge sub-forum is there to examine the less weighty subjects, and the future of the X-Factor TV show could easily be one of those subjects.

I agree that many of the modern "light-entertainment" TV shows are very superficial and appeal to the folk that just want to be entertained instead of being too serious all of the time, and that is why such programmes have such a high viewer numbers following.

I also do think that ( whatever the motive might be for getting on to those shows ), they are a good way to unearth new light entertainment talent.

That aside, I noticed in my newspaper today, that "Strictly" had stolen more than a million viewers away from X-Factor last saturday.

It seems that Cowell is going to have to be very careful how he rejigs his programme as the viewer population are generally very fickle.

Papa......

Nuthin fancy
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 470
    Registration date : 2015-05-07

X Factor

Post by Nuthin fancy on Tue 08 Sep 2015, 2:30 pm

Hi all,

Yes Cowell is going to have to watch out, but 'Strictly' !!!!, OMG, thats another load of crap I cannot stand ( although some of the lady's do look a bit tasty, if that is not a sexist comment from a male ! ). You are correct, we do need a breather from the woes of the world; but I like a good laugh, and find 'idiot Abroad' a real hoot!!....says a lot about my tastes I suppose.

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Wed 09 Sep 2015, 11:17 am

Yes, just like the X-Factor, Strictly can be hard to watch sometimes.

Following the "good television" dogma they have about a third of the contestants as overweight and awful dancers just so the audience can find pleasure in booting them off the show.

I feel sorry for all of the professional dancers that have to try to chuck these behemoths around the room in order to earn a crust.

I like it when all of these awful people are finally gone and we are left with good dancers to enjoy.

I will be sorry that my favourite Iveta Lukosiute will not be in this year's show.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2545
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Fri 11 Sep 2015, 1:43 pm

What is happening there is EXACTLY like what is happening on X-Factor.

They put these heavyweight and awful dancers in there just to slag them off and to produce what you call "good television".

That is why I too don't watch it until it is half way though as by then most of these no-users have been booted off.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 12 Sep 2015, 12:27 pm

Yes Zath', well said, as that is what I do to.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2428
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sun 13 Sep 2015, 12:01 pm

What "grinds my gears", to use a motoring metaphore, is how they have many contestants that are either already professional singers or that have tried and failed to get anywhere in the show after a previous try.

This should not be allowed as it is NEW talent that we are looking for.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 14 Sep 2015, 12:33 pm

Yes, and there were another couple of those last Saturday and Sunday.

I really hate how they waste so much airtime making introductions to a few of the contestants while they just rush through many of the really good acts.

The new format is awful and Cowell should be told so.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1247
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Mon 14 Sep 2015, 1:08 pm

Never watched X factor, in fact I watch very few of this kind of show. I make an exception for Strictly, but only because I was once a ballroom dancer. Not that the show bears any meaningful likeness to the original Come Dancing, which was an all-amateur competition. Strictly is far more Dirty Dancing; many of the moves seen today would have got you banned from the floor in my day! Laughing It's a bit of lighthearted Saturday night froth.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 14 Sep 2015, 1:28 pm

Like yourself, my mother and stepfather were both excellent ballroom dancers, and if they had been alive today I bet they would have enjoyed Strictly.

My mother in particular loved Latin American dance and she would have loved to have been able to watch this style on Strictly.

Myself, I can dance quite well, so long as I don't have to hold on to anyone while I do it. lol!

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 22 Aug 2017, 11:49 am