Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Cruising advice and SCAMS !!!

Nuthin fancy
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 470
    Registration date : 2015-05-07

Cruising advice and SCAMS !!!

Post by Nuthin fancy on Sat 29 Aug 2015, 3:36 pm

Hi All,

Just to expand on the issues, here's something that has bugged me for ages...Crusing rip off's. Now, before everyone throws their hands up in horror at the cost consider this. IF you do your homework availing yourself of a crusing holiday can often work out cheaper than a normal package, as all food, entertainment is included. Costs rise if you want fancy cabins etc, but how often are you in the cabin ??. You need to be savvy and look around. I have booked right at the last minute, and if you can do that you may well get a great bargain. Went to Norway the other year for a snip ( about 45 per day all in ), but booked right at the last min. alternatively booking EARLY can bag some bargains.

So, consider what you are getting...ALL food, travel, entertainment, accomodation. NOW for the scams, some advice:

Avoid on board SPA's ( plenty of posh Spa's on the big ships ) Prices are marked up, plus often an 18% service 'charge' for the pleasure of having a treatment. Ladies, NO NEED. Do not be lured, Get your nails, hair done before you go, and please remmber being a ship there are no airport style luggage restrictions, so you can bring all that extra makeup and clothing !!

Watch the drinks. On the UK based cruise experience, ie Thompson's. Fred Olsen and P&O drinks prices are not too bad, and you can often get a drinks package included in the price. In fact I always look for this even though I don't drink very much. If you can haggle or get an all inclusive deal DO SO. IF you get on the US owned ships ( Royal Carribean, Cunard, Clelebrity, etc ) then be warned prices are HIGH, and subjected to an extra rip off 15% 'service charge' for allowng then to pour it !!. They also put these add ons on speciality coffee and soft drinks, so establish what is FREE and what is NOT included from the outset

Shore excursions ( big mark up ), although again I have found Thompsons not so bad. Only go on them if you have a strict time limit in port, or you are not confident to do your own thing. Again homework. Go with a group if you can, or sort out your own itinery. There is lots of help on the internet. If you are on a cruise ship that spends all day in port from early morning till late at night, or even overnight this is a breeze. We were in India and did all our sightseeing by local taxi or tut tut. A lot easier and cheaper.

TIPS. Most cruise ships ADD these to your final account, but you can ask for them to be removed at the receptiopn desk. We do, and then you can tip individuals and KNOW they are getting the money !!

If they have an on board 'Art Auction' go to it...Not for the crappy art, but they invariably give out free drinks, so get one. Also grab the 'on board welcome reception drink' ( but check before you take a sip that it is indeed 'complimentary' )

Bringing booze on board is a No No at the ports ( they want you to buy their inflated priced booze ). Most will allow you to bring a bottle on board when you first join the ship, but many people try and smuggle stuff on board in very clever ways. One guy attached a catheter bag to his leg full of scotch and pretended it was p*ss !!!...It takes all sorts. If 'found' your booze will be taken away and stored, to be given back to you at the end of the cruise.

Hope these travel tips help. Let me know if you have any questions!

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12574
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: Cruising advice and SCAMS !!!

Post by papa_umau on Sun 30 Aug 2015, 12:27 pm

Brilliant Technician; I don't think we could have acquired that information anywhere else.

For anybody considering taking a cruise this information is vital to have.

Papa......

Admin
    Owner & Editor in Chief
    Owner & Editor in Chief

Number of posts : 94
    Registration date : 2008-08-19

Post by Admin on Sun 30 Aug 2015, 1:13 pm

As you will see Technician, I have made this post into a "sticky" post.

Paul R.

If you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem !
    ( Eldridge Cleaver - Black civil-rights activist ).

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2545
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sun 30 Aug 2015, 1:16 pm

Ohhhhhh, the power of the Admin ! Twisted Evil Very Happy

That aside I do agree that there is a lot of good stuff in that post Technician.

If I am ever going to plan a cruise I will refresh my info' about cruises at this sticky post.
    Nuthin fancy
    Major
    Major

Cruise rip offs

Post by Nuthin fancy on Sun 30 Aug 2015, 1:22 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for the kind comments. I could say a lot more, and about general travel and the scams which lay in wait. The reason I 'get about' is due to planning. I always said that when I retrired we would have a plan to travel, and have organised and budgeted for the same.

We are going to spend it , not give it to the tax man or government; so while we can we travel.

Of course, its a bit of a hobby looking for the best deals and offers now we have that flexibility to do so. For those in full time work its a lot harder, as like most people who work I was restricted to time/dates etc. However a lot of people are on the move, and of course are left wide opoen to the scams, which sites like this try and expose !

Technician
    Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2545
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sun 30 Aug 2015, 1:25 pm

Please do...."say a lot more" Technician, as Papa does not actually know it all even if he sounds as if he does.

We love you all really Papa. I love you I love you I love you
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 31 Aug 2015, 11:30 am

Cheeky ! Suspect

In my seventy-two years I have acquired two trades and one profession and as I have kept my eyes and ears open and my mouth closed for all of those years it is amazing what I have learned and retained.

The years I have been supervising and often building forums using HTML-code and BB-code on the internet and have searched for good things to talk about means that I have attained a level of knowledge that not only keeps my brain active, but, I might suggest, has helped a few people while I have done it.

As an elderly gentleman I sometimes have "senior moments" where I forget easy stuff that I have just learned, and with this in mind I worry that if I do not continue to stimulate my mind via the use of ROB I might forget everything that matters.

Anybody else here that knows what I am talking about ?

Papa......

Nuthin fancy
    Major
    Major

Cruising etc

Post by Nuthin fancy on Mon 31 Aug 2015, 7:48 pm

Hi All,

I never realised my little post on cruising would generate so much interest. it is all based on experience I can assure you. Of course you go on then to have a good time, and I think that is the outcome for most of us. Some misconceptions:

I will be sea sick!!!. No, very much doubt it. The big ships are very stable, Captains navigate and avoid the worse of the weather, and all of the ships will have medication to help it ( Free tablets from recption on many of the lines, Celebrity do this, and its nice to know you can get something IF you need it ). I was never much of a sailor, but have crossed the Atlantic 3 times and the Indian ocean, Arctic Ocean, Berents Sea, North Sea, Panama Canal and Pacific...NEVER been sick!!!

I will be bored....No, there is loads to do. You will find something to amuse you....Nightlife is good, and you have a lot of choices ( free as well )

I will pile on the pounds.....Well yes, you can, as often you can eat round the clock, but I doubt it. There are loads of health options on the menus and often lots of different choices and you can eat very healthily and sensibly if you wish.

I will be bored at sea. Well, find a port intensive criuise, and often you will not be at sea for longer than a day, and even then there's loads to do. Western Med is a good option from the Uk, but pick your time of year. Eastern Med is better later in the year as its hotter. Carribean is good, but best in December/ January and away fron the hurricaine season.

You can get some good deals to Norway in June/July. Scenery is stunning. However the cost of eating out on shore is horrendous, as is booze ( and most other things ). In most ports you can hop off in the morning, head back to the ship for lunch, and pop out again in the afternoon. I spent over two weeks going from South to North Norway and then on to Spitzbergen ( see my logo photo ) and only spent once on two cups of coffee and a shared cake on shore !!!. Good idea to get a booze offer on these ships. Thompsons or Fred Olsen are good for this area, with reasonable drinks prices too.

One other racket, particularly on the American ships is the barage of photographs they take of you. Then they sell them at an inflated price. Simple, don't buy, or only buy if you find one which is great and you like it. I take my digital camera.camcorder and get all my cruise photo's that way. if you want a taste of what is on board, contact me privately and I will direct you to my cruise videos on You Tube so you can have a look !!

Forgot to mention. Captains reception. Go to that, they introduce the Captain and senior crew. There are often nibbles provided ( as if there was not enough food already !! ) and a FREE DRINK, so another opportunity for some free booze.

Water. All cabin water is perfectly drinkable. They are so concerned about norovirus etc that cleanliness standards are first rate, and hand sanitation is advised before eating all food. they are strict about this, and its nice to see. You do not need to buy bottled water at inflated prices when you leave the ship. Take a container and use the cabin water, or buy some cheap bottled water when on shore.

So, its not a case of being tight or mean spirited, just savvy, and avoiding being ripped off. I think my other half would agree, we have had sonme great times!!!

Terchnician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 01 Sep 2015, 12:09 pm

Once again Technician, some great stuff there.

I am sure that even although we only have 93 registered members on ROB many more people will be able to read that set of facts about cruising.

On all such websites there are many more of what are unfortunately-called "Lurkers" ( People who read websites like this but who do not have the interest or self confidence to register for it or write to it ), than there are registered members, and this means that as the site is open to the public of the world we have no idea how many - up to date - have actually read any of our pages.

There used to be a facility whereby I could find out how many page-hits had been counted by the software, but this function has now gone.

The last time I checked these numbers it recorded around 20,000 page-hits per month.

It is knowing this information that keeps me working hard to try to make the site interesting.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1284
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Mon 14 Sep 2015, 12:19 pm

Whereas I like the idea of a cruise, I would never go on one, as I hate crowds and the whole thing appears to be a form of 'Floating Butlins'. The sizes of the ships alone puts me off, and I would really hate to be trapped with a load of people I don't know on a floating holiday camp!
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 14 Sep 2015, 12:55 pm

Hearty har har HG lol!

Yes they are a bit like that, but I will say that they are very "upmarket" holiday camps.

Some rich people, ( especially the Americans ), spend thousands of hours on cruise-ships and that is where their profits come from.

In fact the largest of these types of ship is just one of a fleet of them that are being built in order to take live-aboard customers.

Instead of renting a room or suite one is expected to BUY a room or suite that may cost millions of pounds.

Here is a one called The World:

Here is the site that tells more about this new phenomenon.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Post by Hell's Granny on Mon 14 Sep 2015, 1:00 pm

Too Big, Urrrggghhh! I'd jump overboard in sheer desperation if I had to live on one of those things! You may have gathered that I'm not keen on my fellow man, en masse! I like to be able to get away from people.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 14 Sep 2015, 1:04 pm

That is one of the reasons why these "Condo-ships" are only at sea for a few days at a time as they drop anchor at many ports around the world so that the residents can get out and see more than the sea.

Papa......

Nuthin fancy
    Major
    Major

Cruising

Post by Nuthin fancy on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 8:03 pm

Hi all,

Interesting comments. My good lady hates any form of 'holliday camp' break. and with cruises (Hells Granny ! ) I can asuure you it is not a holiday camp, and the food will be NOTHING like the stuff at Butlins !!!. You need to pick your ship, as there are types of cruises to suit all tastes. We have been on the big ships and the small, upscale and bog basic. They are all different, so its a case of doing your homework.

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Wed 16 Sep 2015, 10:38 am

There you are HG, right from the expert's mouth.

Although I have not been on a cruise myself I would love to go on one, but the wife hates the idea as she cannot swim and she is terrified of drowning.

Obviously very few of us have the wherewithall to buy a suite on any of the cruising condos but I think I would be able to find the money for a Mediterranean cruise.

Like Technician I would never compare them to a holiday-camp.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Post by Hell's Granny on Wed 16 Sep 2015, 1:43 pm

Hi Technician,

As I said, too many people! I'm pretty much a hermit these days; never been much of a people person, and although I would love the travel opportunities, being on a floating city doesn't float my coracle, so to speak Laughing

Even going in to my local town for the weekend shop is something I really have to psych myself up for, and its only a small town! I find that having become disabled has made me much more insular and consequently less socially minded. A few years back I was far more sociable than now.

Added to that the fact is my pension wouldn't stretch to a cruise, or even a kayak ride on the local lake!

Basically, I'm just being a grumpy old Hell's Granny! Wink
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 17 Sep 2015, 10:31 am

Technicians answer to you in abeyance, I have to agree that to be gregarious one needs two things working for us:

1). Our health.

And....

2). Our filled wallets and purses.

If either one of these is missing then a wish to be gregarious becomes just a distant dream away.

Sorry to hear about your problems HG, but there are many like you out there.

That is why I work hard to ensure that the NHS is not privatised by the back door by the Tories and the criminal austerity policies of the same cruel government are fought against with every bone in my body.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 20 Nov 2017, 3:35 pm