Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Perhaps I am moaning,.....but ?

Nuthin fancy
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 470
    Registration date : 2015-05-07

Perhaps I am moaning,.....but ?

Post by Nuthin fancy on Sun 09 Aug 2015, 5:45 pm

Hi all,

Just been thinking how expensive its getting to have a bite to eat out....I am not talking top end establishment here, but run of the mill joints. We are being told that the price of grocery is falling (yeah ? ), but I have noticed all over that the price of a bite to eat when out is getting silly.

Myself and my wife like to shop in a pretty market town down the Ribble Valley in Lancashire occasionaly, and there is a very good Deli and eatery there. Not been for about 6 months, but went the other day and the town had a festival on.

Called in at lunch time and they said 'we have a festival menu for today, Oh, nice so we sat down and I nearly s***t myself at the price of a bsaic sandwich...6-7 !!!. Come on, its taking the p*ss, so we left and did find another very nice and reasonable priced venue. Having said that the prices were all premium. One guy was charging over 7.00 for a 'hog roast baguette'.

Is it me; am I just tight, or just getting increasingly angry at the rip off prices they think they can charge in this country. I am afraid I vote with my feet now

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12107
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: Perhaps I am moaning,.....but ?

Post by papa_umau on Mon 10 Aug 2015, 11:50 am

Technician.... this is the place to come to moan about getting ripped off in any way, so don't stop moaning, as more people should do it.

NOW... back to your particular "moan".

This one has been known about for many many years where eateries and places to stay bump up their prices during great sports or music or during festival events.

Of course this is just profiteering and pure greed and any business that does this risks alienating the people who have been ripped off.

You once used a term which I often use myself, the term of "hitting a captive audience" where if we want to go to the event or festival we have to suck it up and pay out the ridiculous prices asked.

I guess it is just plain human nature to hammer the people who come to such events, but that does not make it right in any way.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2527
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Thu 13 Aug 2015, 11:42 am

I have noticed the same Technician, and I am all the way with you on this one.
    Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1226
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Thu 13 Aug 2015, 7:03 pm

Yep, Festival time is rip off time!

Betcha if you asked, they would have said that its because of having to pay at least Minimum Wage! But there is always a premium at a Festival!
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12107
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Fri 14 Aug 2015, 12:28 pm

Yes, my dear there is always a premium cost at music and arts festivals and at big sports meetings, like The Olympics and such, and the people who charge far over the odds for accommodation and purchases at such events are simply greedy pigs who are profiteering from a captive audience.

The profit motive has a lot to answer for.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2406
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 15 Aug 2015, 12:41 pm

"Greedy pigs" is the exact words I would use too.

My partner and I like to go to music festivals all around the country and we are also coming up to Scotland for the Edinburgh festival, but we always do it with the use of a tent, if we can find an inexpensive site to erect it on.

Thank God for tents ! cheers

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 28 Jul 2017, 1:44 am