Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

A very difficult subject......

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12447
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

A very difficult subject......

Post by papa_umau on Tue 04 Aug 2015, 12:43 pm

Viewpoint: Talking about mental health is just the first step

People are being encouraged to spend five minutes talking about mental health as part of the second annual Time to Talk day. But talking isn't the end goal, argues Mark Brown.

If more of us speak about mental health problems, the belief is that judgemental attitudes will fall away.

That's the aim of Time to Talk day - a campaign which aims to tackle stigma, challenge attitudes and change behaviour around mental illness.
    It's been organised by the people behind Time to Change - a programme led by the charities Mind and Rethink Mental Illness.

This comes from a BBC News Blog HERE

Many of us will have a history of mental illness in our family or our circle of friends, but this is a very difficult subject to talk about anywhere.

Because we at ROB talk to each-other through avatars and not via our personal information I was wondering if it might be a good thing for any of us to get this particular hang-up off our chests.

I will start the ball rolling shall I ?

For a third of my life I worked in a very difficult government-related job and coming near the end of that career I found that I was increasingly in need of support that I could not get from my family.

Like a lot of people who were having mental problems I withdrew and took to the drink as a form of solace.

Of course this did not help at all and the stresses of this difficult job eventually led to me being forced to ask for medical help.

With the help of my doctor I was given early retirement after a 22 year stint in that job and that - I am sure - saved my life.

After I retired I re-trained and started my own company in the satellite industry and had a number of happy years at that job. Eventually, SKY killed off the private satellite installation companies and once again I was forced to retire.

At this point I had a chat with a friend who suggested that I start a website doing a subject that was close to my heart, and the rest is history.

I have now been running ROB for over six years.

Anybody else got a story to tell ?

Papa......

Nuthin fancy
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 470
    Registration date : 2015-05-07

Mental Health

Post by Nuthin fancy on Wed 05 Aug 2015, 3:33 pm

Hi All,

Super thread, and so relevant. It can effect anyone. I worked in healthcare all my life, but since retirement have suffered a lot from anxiety. Its not getting much better, and its mainly focused on health issues. I have a good GP, but have been on the waiting list for CBT for 13 months now.

Fine, people say, just pay for it privately. OK I can, but after a lifetime of contributions I think I have earned a session ot two. I am far from alone in this respect. My BIG fear is the dismantling of the NHS under this Tory government. It will be done by stealth and we need a fightback soon. Once big business takes over it will all be greed and money....sod the patient.

By the way I have tried self help methods, meditaion, etc I have even been on medication which helps for a while; but to nearly always think you have a serious illness ruins the quality of your life and effects other family members. Thank God I have a loving and caring wife.

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Re: A very difficult subject......

Post by papa_umau on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 11:45 am

Hi Technican.

That is exactly what I was hoping for.

Great story, that might help others.

I think that there are far too many of us that internalise such problems as we feel that we do not want to look weak in the eyes of others. ( especially men, might I add ).

There is no doubt that a caring and understanding wife or mother, or whatever, certainly does make anything like that a bit easier.

The great problem I have found with mental illness is that while a broken bone can be fixed with a splint, nobody can put a splint on a broken mind.

It is certainly true about what might happen to the NHS if the Tories are allowed a free hand there.

Now, anybody else want to unburden themselves ?

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2501
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 12:17 pm

Oh how lovely Papa.

I would not have thought that I would ever see anybody on here talking about mental health issues.

Well done both of you.

Now, is there anybody else that might want to take the opportunity to offload here ?

If I had had any mental illness I to would have been willing to talk about it here, but luckily I have not had that awful situation myself.

Sadly, that is something that remains a dark secret in most families.

As Technician said: "Super thread".
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 07 Aug 2015, 11:47 am

I wouldn't actually call it "lovely" Angie, but I know what you are getting at.

I would like to hear more of the ROBsters talking about the mental health subject.

Maybe it is just too hard to talk about ? Suspect

Papa......

Nuthin fancy
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 470
    Registration date : 2015-05-07

Diffucult subject

Post by Nuthin fancy on Sun 09 Aug 2015, 5:36 pm

Hi All,

Got to agree it is a very difficult subject, but as I said, I was in healthcare for nearly 40 years, both actively working in the NHS and latterly in the university sector as a senior lecturer before I retired.

I was at the sharp end, and worked with lots of medics and others. Lets face it if you cut yourself you would get treatment, no shame in 'wanting a plaster' is there ?. That is JUST the same for mental illness. I have no problem talking about it, admiting I have suffered, or with listening to or helping anyone else with it.

Unless you have suffered that way it can be dificult to appreciate the trauma of mental illness. Its not the patients fault, it an illness like any other, and deserves the same care and respect. Medics know this and work with it everyday.

The problem is it is seen by some as a stigma, but those people are misinformed or just ignorant of the facts. The real tragedy is the lack of funding and reduction of services for this very real problem. As I said, the 'creeping privatisation 'under the Tory's is a menace. Look at any 'private hospital', and you will see treatments aimed at maximum buck, ie cosmetic treatments etc.

They are not too keen on taking the complicated cases, major accidents or people with chronic illness or mental problems. These illnesses are neither 'sexy' or produce maximum profit...so you can go to hell then...

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 10 Aug 2015, 12:34 pm

Oh, I wish I had said that, as I agree with you totally there.

We might be coming from slightly different political backgrounds but we agree on many things in public life.

Are you SURE you are not a closet Labour man, as you often sound like one ? Very Happy

( That is meant as a compliment BTW ).

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1284
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Thu 13 Aug 2015, 7:23 pm

I was also a nurse, starting in '73, worked in many disciplines, including Occupational Health in factories, before starting as a lecturer and examiner on First Aid at Work courses. Unfortunately I had a violent husband, who eventually committed suicide, leaving me with two very young children and untreated PTSD. Now I am disabled, and my son is my carer, but, as I only get a small amount of DLA, he cannot get Attendance Allowance for me, so I'm having to support us both on my pension. It makes life difficult, as I am almost housebound, and due to income, social life is absent and so are holidays.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 14 Aug 2015, 1:31 pm

A very sad story HG. Sad

Even more sadly, this is now becoming a typical story from right around the country.

As the Tory austerity policies bite deeper and deeper and the NHS is slowly destroyed by a thousand cuts, and privatisations, we are seeing larger and larger numbers of vulnerable people thrown to the dogs.

This in itself can create situations where mental illness thrives and more and more people are left in desperation.

They should be ashamed of themselves, but I believe that they simply don't give a damn.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2501
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 15 Aug 2015, 1:13 pm

You are so astute Papa.

It is fantastic that even although you had mental problems all those years ago you have fought back to go on to a fulfilling and worthwhile life.

I have seen so many of my relatives destroyed by drink, drugs and gambling that it is good that you can show how this need not necessarily be the end.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 16 Aug 2015, 12:30 pm

I guess a lot of it comes down to depression and the pitfalls of drink and drugs.

Once someone is that far down it takes a lot of TLC to get them back on their feet.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 17 Oct 2017, 9:40 pm