Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Religion and Politics.

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2573
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Religion and Politics.

Post by Angie baby on Sat 04 Jul 2015, 2:00 pm

While I am not against any of the religions here and I am glad that we have religious tolerance in Britain, ( mostly ), I got quite a shock when I read a blog in The Telegraph on this subject,

Here is a link to this blog: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/politics-blog/11715419/Dont-drive-Christian-politicians-into-the-closet.html

While it is not wrong for people of religion to have opinions on general politics, it seems wrong to me to try to change these political directions as a particular religious activist.

Have a read at that blog folks and come back and tell me what you think.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12657
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: Religion and Politics.

Post by papa_umau on Mon 06 Jul 2015, 12:03 pm

Yes my dear, throughout world history the religions have tried to interfere with the democratic will of the people and because of this we have to resist any pressure that is brought to bear on our free will.

Any time in the past where religion has ruled, the country that it has ruled has fallen into disrepute.

Only two examples are: (1). The worldwide rule of the Roman Catholic church during the days of the inquisitions, and (2). The disasters that have come about in any country ruled by Sharia law.

I could keep on going, but I am sure that you get the point.

Comments anyone ?

Last edited by papa_umau on Fri 10 Jul 2015, 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2685
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Thu 09 Jul 2015, 11:55 am

It is obvious Paps that this is one of your pet subjects eh ?

I guess that attached to the free speech liberties that are in force in many countries, the freedom to choose a religion is in there too.

I think though, that just like anything else, religious bias should not be forced upon anybody.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 10 Jul 2015, 12:35 pm

While I do not advocate for any of the present religions, I do like to watch what they are doing around the world.

One of the greatest freedoms of the Free West is the free choice to follow any religion that we might want to follow - OR NONE.

When we look at the states in the Middle East we see a constant battle between extremism and religious freedom.

While there are a couple of secular states like Turkey and Syria, the rest are either quietly controlled by the Sunny or the Shiite Islamicist disciplines or they are being ripped apart by the extreme religious factions we find in Iran and in the religious terrorist groups of ISIL, Boko Haram, or The Taliban, etc'.

In these states the people have no religious freedom at all and if they even try to speak out against the local religious rulers they can very quickly be stoned to death.

Papa......

Nuthin fancy
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 470
    Registration date : 2015-05-07

Religion

Post by Nuthin fancy on Sat 11 Jul 2015, 10:45 am

Hi All,

Good thread. I suppose if you take a moral stance ( and it does not need religion for that ) then politics and religion do get bound up together, ie on the moral issues.

That said its up to individuals what they practice and they should have the freedom to do so. Toleration of ALL faiths is the key, but we see precious little of that in the world these days.

I have fought with these issues for many years and looked and been involved in differing faiths. I have come to the conclusion, on a personal level that its all one big con so I don't get involved in any religion now. Having said that one of my best mates is a Baptist minister who to his credit never pushes it.

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 11 Jul 2015, 1:16 pm

Some great points there Technician where I could agree with many of them.

The only point I cannot agree with is the one where people think it is within the powers of the religions to instill morals into it's followers.

I have always strongly believed that morals are not set within the tenets of the religions and that all people can be moral and ethical without connection to any religions.

The religions of the past, ( all of them ), have tried very hard to hold moralistic behaviour in their own remit, but even as an atheist I would consider myself to be as moral and as ethical as the next man.

HERE is an interesting view on ethics from a well-established American Atheist group.

Papa......

Nuthin fancy
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 470
    Registration date : 2015-05-07

Religion

Post by Nuthin fancy on Sun 12 Jul 2015, 2:54 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for that link Paps. Think we agree on 99% of that, don't know about the morals bit. I am not totally atheist, if anything I am somewhat research minded and look at evidence, ie, for life after death etc, which has always interested me. There may well be 'something more', ie, as in these Near Death Experiences for instance. what I am sure its not about is spiritual mumbo jumbo, but pure science in he end.

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 13 Jul 2015, 12:01 pm

On that we are totally in agreement Technician ! sunny

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1316
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Tue 14 Jul 2015, 3:48 pm

In the United States Constitution, there is Separation of Church and State. It used to work, but nowadays the Fundamentalists of all faiths are starting to override it.

Whilst I think that it would be a good thing to have Separation in Britain too, enforcing it would be problematic at best.

For many years I have studied the world's religions; and I see in them far more similarities than differences, yet it is the differences that cause the conflicts. People fear the unknown, ignorance feeds the fear, and hatred grows from the combination.

Me? I am in a religion of One. I follow nobody, I lead nobody. If someone cares to walk alongside me I will share my insights, if they will share theirs. Broadly, I follow a Druidic path.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 18 Dec 2017, 12:55 pm