Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Fifteen supermarket rip-offs.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12578
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Fifteen supermarket rip-offs.

Post by papa_umau on Tue 30 Jun 2015, 12:26 pm

By Dan Hyde, the Consumers affairs Editor of The Telegraph.

Supermarkets face an unprecedented inquiry into rip-offs that mislead customers into paying more for their groceries.

Three specific practices have been highlighted by Which? in a "super complaint" to the Competition and Markets Authority: misleading special offers, difficulty in easily comparing prices because of the way unit pricing was done, and shrinking pack sizes without a reduction in price.

HERE are some of the worst cases it included in its super complaint as evidence of why an investigation is needed:

Finally and at last we are seeing these multi infringements of shoppers rights being brought together into one large complaint.

Maybe this way we may see the supermarkets being forced to play the game.

Comments please.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2661
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Fifteen supermarket rip-offs.

Post by zathrus on Thu 02 Jul 2015, 11:42 am

"Super complaints" eh ?

That sounds like a good idea.

I hope that the supermarkets pay attention to these "gathered" complaints so that they are afraid not to respond.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 03 Jul 2015, 12:43 pm

Mind you, even if this supercomplaint catches their attention nothing hits them harder than us voting with our feet.

This is already happening with the moving away from the big six and towards the discounters.

With almost all of the profits for the big supermarkets already dropping they need such bad publicity like a hole in the head.

Serves them right I say, as they have been diddling us good for a very long time.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2545
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 04 Jul 2015, 1:13 pm

I consider the supermarkets in the same way as I do the banks: they simply cannot be trusted.

It does not matter how often they are brought to justice, they still keep on trying to con us right, left, and centre.

I honestly think that the punishments that are laid on their heads are just not severe enough.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 06 Jul 2015, 11:40 am

The most long-lasting punishment is when they lose profits.

The best way to do this is to refuse to shop with them any more.

Many thousands of shoppers have already voted with their feet and because of this the big six are hurting badly.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1284
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Tue 14 Jul 2015, 1:59 pm

I have voted with my feet with regards to supermarkets; in my town we have every one of them except Morrison's, who tried our town and then quit after about a year.

Asda I wouldn't touch with a plastic bargepole, Tesco have lost my former loyalty both with rip off offers of the sort mentioned, and the closing of the town centre Metro store, both Sainsbury's are inconveniently placed for a disabled non-driver, Aldi has recently opened but is not conveniently placed, Lidl has just re-opened after extensive refit and extensions, So at the moment I'm using Waitrose, and I'm finding I actually spend less in there than in Tesco.

I'm a canny shopper, I don't rush around grabbing anything, I watch the offers, and buy things like teabags, coffee and less perishables in bulk when they are on offer. This actually allows me to save and also allows me to test out some of the more expensive meats and fish. We cook from scratch, so there are very few convenience foods in my cupboards, and I've discovered recently that I have a gluten intolerance, so instead of pasta, I get rice noodles, which still allows me some latitude in the Spag. Bol races! Waitrose actually has more of the unusual products that I like, such as Sumac, and some of the more exotic spices.

Also we have a lovely little shop called Kathmandu, which has all the oriental and Carribbean ingredients, including Goat meat, which makes a very tasty curry!
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Wed 15 Jul 2015, 10:52 am

What a great piece HG.

I wish the rest of our members and visitors were as good as you are at beating these monsters at their own game.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 23 Nov 2017, 2:54 pm