Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Flying at between Mach five and Mach ten.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12657
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Flying at between Mach five and Mach ten.

Post by papa_umau on Sat 13 Jun 2015, 12:45 pm

Trust the Americans to find out that by using the latest Scram jets we are soon going to be able to fly at mach 5 at sea level and at mach 10 interorbitally.

Here is a photo of a design called The Waverider that is being made right now:

The US Air Force has confirmed its working on a new type of scramjet, capable of speeds up to Mach 5 (3,806mph at sea level). The technology has already been tested, but engineers are now looking to incorporate it into a hypersonic aircraft by 2023.

Read THIS article from ALPHR

It looks more and more as if we are applying science fact where once there was only science fiction.

Anybody ?

Papa......

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Update

Post by papa_umau on Tue 16 Jun 2015, 11:27 am

X-43A Becomes First Aircraft to Reach Mach 10, 3rd Test ...

Bear with the video as it take a while to get to the spoken word.

Here is a link from Wiki that explains what "hypersonic" speed is.

For a very long time now we have been thinking that any speed above "supersonic", ( where the sound barrier is broken at around 768 MPH ), is just about as fast as we can go at sea-level due to the great pressure and heat that is generated by the atmosphere, but here we now see American scientists breaking the "hypersonic" speed barrier.

Anybody ?

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2685
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Flying at between Mach five and Mach ten.

Post by zathrus on Thu 18 Jun 2015, 12:04 pm

I am sure that if they can get a scram-jet engined plane to work as well at sea-level speeds that is fine, but I cannot see them trying to put any humans in it.

The "interorbital" version would be a much better option for commercial travel if they can get far enough up to reduce the friction of the atmosphere.

Supersonic commercial flights were quickly dropped when the Concorde proved to be too unstable to be safe.

I guess it is also all about being cost-effective too.

Virgin Galactic and Branson seem to be having a good try at it, but the last test was a failure, as it exploded, killing a test pilot. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/worldnews/11203838/Virgin-Galactic-crash-in-pictures-SpaceShipTwo-wreckage-scattered-across-desert.html?frame=3092680

See this also: http://www.virgingalactic.com/
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 19 Jun 2015, 2:06 pm

Thanks very much for the interesting links Zathrus.

I honestly cannot see Branson's space-plane being much of a success as the only people who will be able to afford to go on it will be the millionaires and once a bunch of them are killed in one of those flights, Branson's and the whole Virgin Galactic vision will be as dead as Concorde is.

Last edited by papa_umau on Tue 23 Jun 2015, 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2573
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 20 Jun 2015, 12:55 pm

I am sure that Branson is appealing to the wealthy when he is spending so much money on building a space plane.

If the next test goes wrong he will never get anybody of any kind of wealth to fly in it.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Just a little update....

Post by papa_umau on Sun 21 Jun 2015, 12:40 pm

The fact is that Branson's Virgin Galactic's spaceship is put into space by a rocket engine and not a scram-jet engine.

It is first carried to the upper atmosphere, ( 15.5 kilometers ), by it's White Knight 2 mother-craft and then it's rocket engine fires taking it into "space".

Go HERE to find out more.

In my opinion, it is a bit of a gimmick as I do not think that any such six-seater space-plane will come into regular commercial use.

Like Concorde, it is an accident waiting to happen.

Comments anybody ?

Papa......

Nuthin fancy
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 470
    Registration date : 2015-05-07

Post by Nuthin fancy on Mon 22 Jun 2015, 10:46 pm

Hi all,

This technology is fantastic. Brave people will take risks and accidents will happen, but then we need to progress, its called 'pioneering'. Paps, as for Concorde you are dead wrong.

I personally know one of the Concorde pilots ( long retired ) and he always said it was the safest and best aircraft he ever flew ( and of course he was a senior commercial pilot ).

He said the decision to pull the plug was a political one, as the old bird had a lot of flight time in her still and he saw it as nothing short of a tragedy.

He told me of one young guy who was on a flight with the chief designer and at Mach 2.2 had a glass of wine on the seat table and not a ripple could be seen on it.

He turns to this designer and said he was not very impressed with the flight as he could not feel much at that speed........With supreme irony the designer turned to him and said, 'yes, that was the hard bit'

Concorde was way ahead of its time, and it was no gimmick.

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 23 Jun 2015, 12:16 pm

Don't get me wrong Technician because I loved the Concorde.

Once it's wing-tanks were found out to be too weak to withstand being punctured and all those people being killed in it. I don't think anybody would give it money any more.

Being a science-fiction and science-fact buff I too am loving the technical breakthroughs that they are making, but we also have to be practical and if no interorbital plane can be proven to be safe it will just never get "off the ground" Evil or Very Mad ( please excuse the awful pun ).

Papa......

Nuthin fancy
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 470
    Registration date : 2015-05-07

Post by Nuthin fancy on Tue 23 Jun 2015, 1:26 pm

Hi All,

Yes Paps, that was a terrible tragedy in France, and I was there at the time, not far from Paris. Total shock. I agree we need to be practical here. I don't ( and this is a personal view ) think the Branson Orbiter is a safe enough aircraft and I would have grave doubts about flying on it.

There is however a guy in the UK ( a pioneer of the HOTOL engine and an aeronautical engineer ) who has been telling the UK Government for quite a few years that he had developed a craft to get us from London to Australia in 2 hours !!!!!....Same old story though, red tape. Just the same happened to Watt and his Radar and Whittle and the jet engine.

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Wed 24 Jun 2015, 11:47 am

The HOTOL experiment was interesting but it did not come to much and the SKYLON which was supposed to follow Hotol, went no further either.

Skylon is supposed to fly sometime in 2019. ( It is to be financed up to then by the ESA ( European Space Agency ).

I did discuss both of these planes a long time back on ROB, but I am unable to find these threads with the "search" facility.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 18 Dec 2017, 5:00 am