Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Just an FYI

TuppenceHapenny
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-08-26

Just an FYI

Post by TuppenceHapenny on Thu 28 May 2015, 6:27 pm

Keep a happy thought for us. We're in the middle of the floods here in Texas. And it's pouring rain. If you want to check it out type in Wimberley flood on YouTube.
    Hope things are ok with England as a whole and Robsters in general.
    Tuppence
    zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2545
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Just an FYI

Post by zathrus on Fri 29 May 2015, 11:46 am

Hi from me Tuppence.

I hope you are alright in those floods.

By the increase in tornados and floods in central America it now seems that climate change is starting to effect everybody.

If not, what do you put it down to ?

I hope you escape the worst of these floods as I feel for you as I live on a flood plane here in rainy England.
    TuppenceHapenny
    Major
    Major

Post by TuppenceHapenny on Fri 29 May 2015, 2:57 pm

Hows about simple greed and we're on a hundred year flood plain and the last flood like this happened.... oh I dunno... about a hundred years ago? The greed comes in because the people who own property along the river have cut off access to to the river for anyone but themselves. They've built dams and cement docks all up n down the length. Basically killing the flow of water.
    If you break it down- we've had 15 inches or so of rain this month. That breaks down to 1/2 inch of rain per day. Not an awful lot considering we've been living under severe drought conditions for years. Given the drought and we had 6 inches or so in one day the flood itself doesn't make much logical sense. However. Despite being in the Hill Country we a r e also in the Wimberley Valley which means as water flows downhill-we're screwed royally. Lol.
    As to the whole climate change shite. What on earth makes you feel mankind is big enough to do any real damage much less on a global scale? Man may well destroy itself ie make the earth uninhabitable for man but screw up the earth itself in any major way? Hardly. The earth has been around a hell of a long time before man raised his empty head and will be around at least as long after man has died off. Then the cycle will start over again.
    It's all good.
    Tuppence
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12180
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Sat 30 May 2015, 12:55 pm

Hi againTuppence.

Sorry to hear about your floods.

I am happy to see you writing on ROB again and would love if you would give your "American" views on more of the subjects here.

Anyway, what I am about to say will probably rile you even more:

What is different now is that the world has around seven billion people on it where it only had a few billions before. These high numbers of humans put out a lot of waste materials and gasses and ruin a lot of the oxygen-making greenery around the globe, ( including the massive layers of green plankton in the oceans and the hard-cutting of the world's trees ),

This kind of pollution also makes one heluva lot of greenhouse gasses including: water vapor, carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide, and ozone.

These gasses are as a result of the ever-increasing and high numbers of people and also the increasing industrialisation of the third world.

As more countries continue to generate more and more of these gasses by putting more and more fossil-fuel-burning vehicles on the roads on the seas and in the air the weather patterns are being interfered with and - as a result - the great masses of permafrost in the North and South are being melted, raising the levels of the oceans and making much greater surface areas of water from where the rail clouds come, and the directions of the weather-making Jet-streams are made to take more and different routes around the troposphere.

Read about the Jetstreams HERE

So as the years go by and the weather starts to get more and more unpredictable, the arguments for Climate Change and Global Warming are starting to blow away the, ( excuse the pun ), arguments of the deniers out there.

It is TRUE, it is HERE, and it is NOW.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2423
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sun 31 May 2015, 1:38 pm

If climate change is not causing such aberrant weather, then what is ?

I had a look at the subject on Google today an it seems that enough rain has fallen since May that the whole state of Texas could be covered with one inch of water.

Also, there are more storms on the way with little chance of this relenting any time soon.

Maybe somebody should have built an Ark in Texas if it is going to keep raining for forty days and forty nights ? Genesis 6-9
    TuppenceHapenny
    Major
    Major

Post by TuppenceHapenny on Sun 31 May 2015, 2:03 pm

Er... It's a hundred year flood plain and the last flood like this was a hundred years ago? Man's unconscionable arrogance in building dams and cement docks across a river on the aforesaid flood plain? Hows about "He who does not study History is doomed to repeat it"? How can something within the normal cycle be lumped in with global warming or climate change? Spurious logic and fuzzy science at best. I've been coming here and/or lived here since the mid 70s and neither the current flood nor any of the smaller floods are anything out of the ordinary.
    Tuppence
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 01 Jun 2015, 12:09 pm

You may have not had a flood for a hundred years on that "flood plain" Tuppence, but you do not know if you are going to get another flood next year or the next year.

I have to agree that dams and the redirecting of natural water flow does increase the chance of flooding on flood plains, but as these things are fixable, once they are fixed will this stop the flooding or even severe droughts ?

I have tried to explain the thinking behind Climate change, but like most of the other deniers you simply cannot see the wood for the trees.

We here in Britain continue to build housing estates on flood plains even although we also have had many experiences of flood plains FLOODING. The British government are about to put laws into force that stops any kind of developments on flood plains in the future.

Please read this thesis on scientific climate change from the British Met Office

This no longer "junk science" as the deniers would have it, it is undeniable fact which almost all of the weather experts now agree on.

Papa......

TuppenceHapenny
    Major
    Major

Post by TuppenceHapenny on Wed 27 Jan 2016, 9:07 pm

MOO. 🐄💩. It is Texas ya know.
    Tuppence
    PS gods I miss Motco sometimes
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 28 Jan 2016, 1:00 pm

Anyway, it is still really nice to see you back giving us the benefit of your American experience.

We do have a "Motco" using the name of "Gandhi" that writes with similar passion, although he has upset a few of the regulars here with his personal style.

I always try very hard to accept different views and opinions but trolling and s**t-stirring and personal attack is too destructive for any moderated board.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 19 Aug 2017, 12:54 am