Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Spain can do it so why not us.....

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12456
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Spain can do it so why not us.....

Post by papa_umau on Mon 25 May 2015, 12:26 pm

Spain enters a new political era
    By Tom Burridge
    BBC News, Madrid

The people have been celebrating the results at Valencia town hall square - 24 May, 2015.

People have been celebrating the results of the vote in Valencia
    As expected, in the wake of the economic crisis and high-profile corruption scandals which have tarnished the reputation of the traditional political parties in Spain, the country has now entered a new political era.

Anti-austerity parties, linked to the Podemos movement on the far left, which is barely one year old, have the prestige of holding power in Barcelona, and could form a coalition to rule in the Spanish capital.

Across the country the ruling Popular Party (PP) of Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy has been punished.

Get the full story from The BBC News HERE

After the result in our own general election, where the Tories and their draconian austerity policies were allowed back into power by middle England, here in Spain we see the Spanish people rearing up against the Austerity polices that they have been suffering under.

Why can't we do that here ?

Anybody ?

Papa......

Nuthin fancy
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 470
    Registration date : 2015-05-07

Why not us

Post by Nuthin fancy on Wed 27 May 2015, 10:21 pm

Hi all,

Simple !!. You cannot spend what you don't have!! ( I think Dickens in his great literary works has hinted at the same ? ).

Spain has been adopting the same 'basket case' economics as Greece ( not as bad, but a damn good try ). Of course, not to worry if you DO spend it and have not got a bean left, the IMF and World Bank will come to your aid. This is akin to selling your soul to the Devil....This is what Greece has done, and its sad to see this country heading to a slow. lingering, financial meltdown

Iceland did not fall for it, and Britain threw out the crazy economics of Gordon Brown ( thank God ) otherwise we may well have been going down the same road. There is not much to endear ones self to the Tory's, but I trust them much better than Labour on that front, (the economy) and at the present time our economy IS doing much better.

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Re: Spain can do it so why not us.....

Post by papa_umau on Thu 28 May 2015, 11:55 am

All right-wingers are of the opinion that left is bad and right is good, but as I see it what Cameron and his raiders did in order to try to correct the national debt, ( and failing ), by the introduction of draconian austerity policies that hurt the weakest the worst, is not the way to go to solve that problem.

The great crash in Spain was against the ruling governments austerity policies and that is why Spain has now lurched hard over to the left.

For some unknown reason middle England put the cruel and nasty party back in power and if we are going to get more of the same as a result many of the people who voted for the Tories are going to wish they had not done this silly thing.

Maybe next time, after another five years of crippling austerity at home the voters will realise that they did the wrong thing and Britain too could swing over to the left to try to get a bit of justice for the weak, the sick, the old and the poor.

I guess we shall see about that. Suspect

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2619
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Fri 29 May 2015, 12:14 pm

They never seem to do things reasonably in many of the European countries and I am sure that these Neuveo-Communists in Spain will be chucked out again very soon.

Both of the extreme ends of politics do more harm than they do good.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 30 May 2015, 12:16 pm

Normally I would agree with you there Zath' but as far as politics is concerned in Britain we are destined to follow the weak middle line for years to come.

We are not nearly as radical a country as Spain or France can be and until we start to get really angry at what right-wing governments do in our name we are just going to get more and more of the same.

It is our own fault about this, as we get the government that we vote for.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2501
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sun 31 May 2015, 1:06 pm

I agree Papa. We do "get the government that we deserve".

Britain has never been a politically radical country as we have developed into a centrist state that is afraid of the hard right and the hard left.

Not since after the second world war has Communism had such a grip on the voters of Britain. We have had extremism and we don't like it.

THAT is probably why The Labour Party will never go back to their radical roots.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 01 Jun 2015, 11:50 am

I think they MUST if they are going to get back the traditional supporters.

The only way that Labour is going to get back the centre-ground voters is if another Tony Blair comes around in order to once again make Labour attractive to the Middle England voters.

To do that without making it into another kid-on Tory party, ( As Blair did ), is going to be a very difficult task for whoever wins the leadership election.

Papa......

Nuthin fancy
    Major
    Major

Austerity

Post by Nuthin fancy on Wed 03 Jun 2015, 8:46 am

Hi all,

All very nice, but fails to answer the question....how can you spend money you DO NOT HAVE without increasing the debt?????. It has to be paid back.

Only today, 3rd June we see this classic example in of all places the Irish Times, I quote. ' Greece will not make a June 5th loan repayment to the International Monetary Fund' if there is no prospect of an aid-for-reforms deal with its international creditors soon, the spokesman for the ruling Syriza partys lawmakers has said:

If there is no prospect of a deal by Friday or Monday, I dont know by when exactly, we will not pay, Nikos Filis told Mega TV.

The June 5th payment of 300 million is the first of four this month totalling 1.6 billion. Athens depends now totally on foreign aid to stay afloat. Those repayment figures are EYE WATERING !!!!. How the hell is Greece supposed to cope with all that ?????

By the way, I did not know Paps that you seem to be a supporter of Tony BLIAR !!. A war criminal in many peoples eyes who should be up before the Hague courts !!!...Please correct me if I am wrong.

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Wed 03 Jun 2015, 11:17 am

I cannot imagine where you get the idea that I am a Blairite as nothing could be further from the truth.

By dragging Labour to the right in order to placate middle England he ruined Labour for the future.

He has now paid for this by Labour being destroyed in the polls.

I agree that just like reasoned housekeeping at home too much borrowing is a bad thing to do and even although Labour of the past did borrow to spend, I think if you look you will see that the national debt has GROWN under the Tories, and has not in fact been reduced by terrorising the old, the poor and the sick by their unfair austerity policies.

Papa......

Nuthin fancy
    Major
    Major

Post by Nuthin fancy on Wed 03 Jun 2015, 2:46 pm

Hi All,

Well, I agree that the poor and down trodden should not be penalised. I think the large corporations and banks should be coughing up for the robbery they inflict on us all ( and many of them be in jail ).
    Unfortunately even under Labour that would not be happening.

The debt is growing, but consider this; the crazy financial management of Brown and Balls contributed to this mess. Do you thing Labours economic policy would clear our debt any faster.?? NO their track record is one of financial iresponsibilty, and we would be even deeper in it!!!

Again (at the risk of sounding like another dogmatic individual I had a run in with on here !!....How can you continue to spend WHAT YOU DO NOT HAVE ????? )
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 04 Jun 2015, 11:53 am

The whole world revolves around borrowing and even the Tories like to borrow more than they can pay back.

It is good sense to borrow, ( if you need to borrow ), in a way that can be serviced by your income.

Those who do not lay their borrowing requirements against their income must risk the debt being called in, as has happened with Greece and Spain. It is a calculated risk, but some entities are just not good at it.

The only ones that do not need to borrow to live are the ones who have plenty of it in the first place.

It's all about common sense really.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 20 Oct 2017, 5:12 pm