Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

The General Election II

Gandhi
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Number of posts : 234
    Registration date : 2015-05-09

The General Election II

Post by Gandhi on Sat 09 May 2015, 4:56 pm

Well we finally have a Tory government thanks to the SNP. Well done Nicola! I can hear the moans of the scroungers "oh no i am going to have to go to work or those nasty Tories will cut my benefits" as I drive past the ghettoes. Instead of complaining about the bedroom tax they could join the rent a room scheme and help the housing shortage as well.

Also UKIP have been comprehensively found wanting - their mixture of racism and nationalism was rejected by 88% of the public and quite right too.

Can we now get on with putting the great back into Great Britain without whingeing about proportional representation?

Interesting Forum

G
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 11956
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: The General Election II

Post by papa_umau on Sun 10 May 2015, 12:41 pm

Hi there "Ghandi" even although your ways of thinking are certainly not very "Ghandi"-like.

We welcome ALL opinions on ROB so long as they don't degenerate into nasty invective and your opinions are as welcome here as anybody-else's might be.

As I said to a pal yesterday, that it does not really matter how we vote with our around seven million of a population up here, there are a lot more people in England that over-run any vote from Scotland. For instance, there are more people living in London than in the whole of Scotland.

Anyway, that considered, even with previous large Labour votes going down to Westminster the Tory juggernaught just kept rolling on.

It was only when Blair dragged the Labour movement screaming to the right with New-Labour that enough of a total vote was gathered to beat the Tories.

Labour has destroyed itself from within with a weak leader in Miliband and no real vision of what he needed to do to unite all of the left-wingers in Britain. ( The SNP seems to have done this job admirably ).

It will take a very long time for Labour to ever get back to the prominence it once had and I do not think the New-Labour trick will ever work again.

Proportional representation is not something that any of the big two want as it shares the votes much better across the country, and for that reason I doubt if it will ever be brought in even if it HAS TO BE the right thing to do.

Last edited by papa_umau on Thu 14 May 2015, 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2377
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sun 10 May 2015, 1:10 pm

Hi "Nuthin Fancy" and "Ghandi", it is great to have some fresh blood injected into ROB, as I have missed the opinions that come from the "other" side of the political spectrum.

By your speech Ghandi you are obviously a Tory supporter and if you are it will be great to get the views of a real Tory here as this would strike a bit of a balance in this mostly lefty forum.
    Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1169
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Sun 10 May 2015, 5:39 pm

'Scroungers', Ghandi?

I hope you will back up that comment, sir. Examples please, not just blanket condemnation.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 11 May 2015, 12:15 pm

Yes "Ghandi", that word of "scroungers" is a very powerful and bigoted word that tars a lot of decent people with one brush.

It is a word I would expect from a "Fascist" ( there's another strong and "bigoted" word, for example ), rather than from a reasonable and thinking individual.

Please try not to use such words on ROB again as that is not just good and heated debate, ( which is always desirable ), it is is very close to the language of the trolls.

Please remember that this is a moderated forum.

Papa......

Gandhi
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Number of posts : 234
    Registration date : 2015-05-09

Post by Gandhi on Wed 13 May 2015, 10:01 am

A Scrounger in my eyes is someone who takes something to which he is not entitled - someone who claims unemployment benefit and turns down work for example, or someone who claims disability benefit when they can work. Or housing benefit when they have undeclared income. Or tax credits for none existant families. There are plenty of them and they are worst than thieves in my eyes as they take from the needy.
    Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1169
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Wed 13 May 2015, 3:33 pm

There are also the genuinely in need who, due to IDS' policies, and the actions of the companies such as ATOS, G4S, Serco, and Maxima, cannot obtain the benefits they ARE entitled to. There are many more people screwed over by these companies at the behest of the Government than there are 'scroungers. The Tories didn't start the Reform of the Welfare system, but they certainly have honed it to the finest of points.

People are dying because of the Government and these companies.

Parliament....
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1623
    Registration date : 2009-09-29

Post by Parliament.... on Wed 13 May 2015, 7:27 pm

Hell's Granny, I just popped into ROB, and noticed your posting. And you are very wrong. The Tory's did indeed start the Reform of the Welfare State, but it was under Thatcher, not Cameron.

Margaret Thatcher began to "roll back the State" way back in the 1980's but I dont think people noticed it too much then.

Tony Blair's New Labour 1997- 2010 continued what Margaret Thatcher started, and David Cameron has been finishing it off.

Austerity is the media's tag word for the Tory's to get away with an ideological agenda to whittle down the State, cut welfare to the bone, and privatise the NHS because the right wing Tory's are ideologically opposed to the roll of the State and everything attached to it.

Ivanhoe

Parliament....
    General
    General

Post by Parliament.... on Wed 13 May 2015, 7:32 pm

Gandhi,

Over 5 years of coalition, David Cameron’s right wing Tory’s have ripped the heart out of the welfare State, and started to privatise the NHS, whilst creating food banks across the country due to their stringent economic cuts in welfare, hitting the unemployed and those working in low waged jobs reliant on means tested top ups to get by, and pensioners are also forced to use food banks, and forcing the disabled to have to undergo work capability assessments. I just don’t believe people who voted for David Cameron want more of this ?.

Also the Tory manifesto says the party wants to scrap the Human Rights Act, and so David Cameron has appointed Michael Gove to be Justice Secretary, this means Michael Gove will be responsible for this policy. And David Cameron is also going to lift Labour’s Fox Hunting ban, to make fox hunting legal again.

And your happy with this ??????

Ivanhoe

Parliament....
    General
    General

Post by Parliament.... on Wed 13 May 2015, 7:34 pm

Gandhi wrote:A Scrounger in my eyes is someone who takes something to which he is not entitled - someone who claims unemployment benefit and turns down work for example, or someone who claims disability benefit when they can work. Or housing benefit when they have undeclared income. Or tax credits for none existant families. There are plenty of them and they are worst than thieves in my eyes as they take from the needy.

Gandhi, How many years have you been a Tory ?.  P.S. Actually you are quite wrong when you say "scroungers" take from the needy, they dont!.   The word "Scrounger" has derived from the Thatcher years and its used to pit society against each other and it works in Britain.

Even if there werent any scroungers, this would not increase the amount of benefits going to the needy, this is a myth perpetuated by people like you to drive a wedge between the British people and have us at each others throats, which is what is happening today with bloody awful benefits street type programmes on our TV screens.

From Wiki. Take note of this. This is Les Misérables by Victor Hugo, first published in 1862.

The story begins in 1815 in Digneas the peasant Jean Valjean, just released from 19 years' imprisonment in the galleys—five for stealing bread for his starving sister and her family and fourteen more for numerous escape attempts—is turned away by innkeepers because his yellow passport marks him as a former convict. He sleeps on the street, angry and bitter.

According to the days, this man broke the law. In your view was he entitled to the bread ? because he and his family were starving.

Ivanhoe

Last edited by Ivanhoe on Thu 14 May 2015, 6:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 14 May 2015, 11:25 am

Gandhi wrote:A Scrounger in my eyes is someone who takes something to which he is not entitled - someone who claims unemployment benefit and turns down work for example, or someone who claims disability benefit when they can work. Or housing benefit when they have undeclared income. Or tax credits for none existant families. There are plenty of them and they are worst than thieves in my eyes as they take from the needy.

We are not debating the meaning of the word "scrounger" Ghandi, we are saying that it is wrong to use that term when talking about any general "group!" of people.

It is only, usually, when bigoted and closed-minded people speak that we hear and see that word used.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 28 Jun 2017, 9:44 am