Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

The Muslims did not invent brutality ?

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12351
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

The Muslims did not invent brutality ?

Post by papa_umau on Wed 06 May 2015, 11:28 am

From a serious "let's talk" site:

"Humanity has been grappling with these questions throughout human history. And lest we get on our high horse and think this is unique to some other place, remember that during the Crusades and the Inquisition, people committed terrible deeds in the name of Christ. In our home country, slavery and Jim Crow all too often was justified in the name of Christ".

I have to admit that while the likes of Islamic State and Boko Haram,( just to name a couple of brutal Islamic groups ),do take their religious faith to another place, I must agree with the introduction that human beings have had the capacity for this kind of cruelty for all of their years of history.

It seems as if we go looking for ways to be cruel to our fellow humans.

Most of the groups that practice such inhuman behaviours are groups that have taken simple and good religious teachings and twisted them into something that eventually has not reference in those religions.

Extreme and hard-line thinking almost always bastardises the teachings that are in fact innocuous until they are taken to the extremes.

Anybody ?

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2585
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: The Muslims did not invent brutality ?

Post by zathrus on Fri 08 May 2015, 2:51 pm

A good point Paps.

Mind you, I do think that most of the cruelty that has been attached to humanity in the years gone by has been triggered by runaway religious doctrine.

We always had the capability to be the most vicious species on the planet, all we really needed was reasons to act like the animals we are.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 09 May 2015, 1:45 pm

I could have said that myself if you had not beaten me to it Zath.

It is a bit of a shame that the strongest people in any political party or religious group come from the activists that are almost always from the extremes of these groups.

This means that the middle-of-the-road and less vociferous ones are usually bullied into submission by those on the extreme left and right.

This will always be the case, and it is not something that we could ever do much about.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2473
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sun 10 May 2015, 1:33 pm

Yes, and that appears in just about every section of humanity.

It is the activists that are the hard-liners and it is the activists that shape the future of these wicked groups.

How any of them can see the wishes of their gods in what they do completely surprises me.

If there was an Allah and a Christian and Jewish God one might have thought that we would see the hand of these deities more clearly.
    Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1278
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Sun 10 May 2015, 5:59 pm

The 'Big Three' have all gone into an intolerant phase at approximately the same era in their particular timeline, The Jews did, the Christians did, and now the Muslims are following suit.

Each declared that their God was the only 'True' one, and went into battle to prove his superiority.

I don't know if it it something to do with being religions of The Book, but it does seem to me to have a lot to do with different interpretations of the written word.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 11 May 2015, 12:56 pm

As an atheist, ( sorry for ramming it down your throats ), I have always believed that the words written in the "holy" scriptures are far too easily misinterpreted. ( Just like you say HG ).

That is why I KNOW that these books were not written by any "perfect" entity - as they would like us to think - as they were written by earth-bound scribes that were just fallible humans like the rest of us.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1278
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Mon 11 May 2015, 4:37 pm

Also, In my beliefs, there is a saying 'Once a set of beliefs is written down, it can no longer evolve, and therefore starts to fossilise.

My faith has no written creed.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 12 May 2015, 11:32 am

If we were to just stick to the how-to-live commandments written in the tablets that Moses was said to bring down out of the mountains, that would not be so bad, but these ten commandments were take from the stone tablets and broadened and extended so much that now the "Holy Bible" and the "Quran" are so badly put together that they contradict each of the teaching points that are trying to be made in different sections of these books.

As the extremist Jihadists and the extreme Christians, ( of those there is still plenty too ), are the ones that feel that they can find instruction in their interpretation of these books to terrorise, rape murder and attack anyone who does not believe in what they believe, they actually feel that they are doing no wrong and they are not criticised by their establishment leaders.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content