Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Light-speed REAL ?

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12456
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Light-speed REAL ?

Post by papa_umau on Tue 05 May 2015, 12:19 pm

Being a a science fact and a science fiction nut I always find anything new along these lines to be interesting.

When I found what I am about to talk about I was absolutely gobsmacked

The high-power wave principle has been known about for many years, but it has been, until now, impossible because of the vast amounts of power that would be required to make it work.

Now, it has been said, a NASA scientist has accidentally found a way to make FTL speeds in space-travel a possibility via a real "warp-field".

Please read the main entry to THIS website to read what is thought to have happened, then come back and discuss, if you want to, any opinions you may have on space-travel at FTL speeds.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2619
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Light-speed REAL ?

Post by zathrus on Fri 08 May 2015, 2:47 pm

A very "Paps"-type posting.

I think that even after this questionable discovery we are still as far from travelling at faster than light speed as we always were.

Mind you, if we ever want to get anywhere at all in space we are definitely going to have to do something about the light-speed barrier.

Maybe in a couple of hundred years, if we don't destroy ourselves in the meantime. Suspect
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 09 May 2015, 1:48 pm

Yes, this is typically "me", as I have a very strong interest in anything scientific, even if it might be fiction rather than fact.

I do think that we will eventually break the unbreakable barrier of light speed ( as Einstein indicated it to us ), but HOW we might do this is another subject altogether.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1284
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Sun 10 May 2015, 6:04 pm

I find it fascinating, yet I am somewhat concerned about the damage we can cause by visiting other worlds carrying our bacteria. We do not know what damage we may cause; and there are precedents, we caused untold damage to environments and populations when we contacted the Polynesian peoples with our diseases and our vermin. Can Space be much different?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 11 May 2015, 12:49 pm

Yes and we almost wiped out the North American Indians, ( or the Native Americans, as they are now called ), by introducing them to chicken pox and measles when we discovered the "New World".

Also, I think that we might have to be very careful about indigenous diseases wherever we went to other worlds as just like the Native American tribes, we might have no resistance to these local diseases and infections either.

It is really all moot, as getting to a speed that is faster than light would have terrible problems attached to it.

I won't go into these problems as I don't want to lecture and bore people with my "vast" knowledge of such things. Suspect

Papa......

Nuthin fancy
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 470
    Registration date : 2015-05-07

Light speed

Post by Nuthin fancy on Fri 15 May 2015, 7:49 pm

Hi all,

Just seen this, a great post. Has always interested me this stuff. I have also read about a British guy, a scientist who has developed a form of engine ( now investigated and tested buy NASA ! ) which works on light waves and uses a device similar to a magnetron which we find in microwaves. He says we can get to the moon in 4 hours !. He has been ridiculed by the scientific community, but it looks like he may be right; and people are sitting up and taking notice.

I cannot talk about light speed, but according to General Relativity it is impossible to go faster ( 186,000 miles per second !! ). I think that may be up for grabs...never say never !!. I cannot help thinking that if the people of this world had put as much effort in to co-operation to benefit the development of mankind as they did into killing, and blowing each other up, we may well have had warp drive by now !

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 16 May 2015, 12:30 pm

Yes, successful movement over distances in space is always going to be down to the power that can be found in the intrinsically small body of any spacecraft.

Rocket or other similar propulsion methods only work over very small periods and distances as the small amounts of on-board fuel would run out almost immediately.

One of the good things about space is that once a speed has been achieved the craft stays at that speed forever unless and until it is slowed down for any possible landing on new worlds.

The only way that we might be able to break Einstein's light barrier would be if we were to go outside of our own space-time continuum.

This so-called "warp" speed is possible on paper but achieving it would be much harder than saying or writing it might be.

Another great barrier to space travel through any real distances would be the artificial gravity that would be exerted on the bags of water that the passengers would be. Any kind of acceleration that might carry us great distances in space would have to be done very slowly so as not to flatten the people in the ship. Also the deceleration at the other end would have to be done very slowly for the same reason. We are not capable of handling much more that three "G"s over any length of time.

This would mean that to travel into space any decent distances would have to be done in very large "generational" ships, ( maybe using some form of atomic fuel ), whereby the crews that man these ships would live, grow old, and die leaving the next generations to fly the ships.

Via the "folding" of the space-time continuum, or by travelling through worm-holes would bypass all of these problems, but as we haven't found, or are able to make any wormholes and we are still unable to fold space this just remains in the annals of science-fiction.

Don't get me started, as I could rabbet on for hours about this subject. Evil or Very Mad

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2501
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 16 May 2015, 1:45 pm

Right over the top of my head guys. Twisted Evil

Another problem that these space-farers might find is the problem of micro-meteorites, as I believe there are billions of these very fast things flying about in space.

Star Trek beat this problem by having deflector shields mounted in the front of all their star-ships, but I cannot imagine how this would work.

Also, travelling at any kind of speed in space would mean that course corrections would need to be made regularly to stop the ships from crashing into bigger asteroids or even planets.

I was watching a telly programme a couple of nights ago that spoke of all of the comets and asteroids that come near to the Earth and that crash into the Earth at regular intervals and that made me think about just how dangerous it might be to travel in space.

Just getting out of our own Solar-system would a very hard thing to do as the guy mentioned that we have three very large rings and clouds of asteroids to get through before getting into deep space.

If I remember correctly these belts were called the Asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter, the Kuiper belt, outside the orbit of Neptune and the far out Oort Cloud which is the place where most comets come from.

OK you smart-asses, how do we get past this lot in order to get out into deep space then ?

Oh yes, and, I Googled it BTW.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 17 May 2015, 1:27 pm

Most amusing Angie. lol!

That just goes to show that you needn't be an astronomer or an astro-physics expert to know a bit about space-travel.

The GOOGLE machine is probably the most powerful resource that ordinary beings have in order to find out things that they don't already know about.

I find the whole idea fascinating and just like you my dear I have been steered to science fact by reading books and watching science fiction on the small and large screens.

Technology is moving forwards at a dizzying speed and provided we do not destroy ourselves in the meantime by the polluting of our Earth or by nuclear war or disease pandemics we almost HAVE TO be able to find a way to travel into deep space for our own survival.

Sorry if that is a bit heavy Angie, but I think we should all think about such things now and again, don't you ?

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 20 Oct 2017, 1:26 pm