Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Digital coding for year seven children

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12456
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Digital coding for year seven children

Post by papa_umau on Tue 24 Mar 2015, 12:33 pm

Rasberry Pi

After the introduction of the smallest, cheapest and simplest coding-computer for kids was launched for primary seven children, look what is happening next.

Find out about Rasberry Pi in this link.

Micro bit

The BBC has promised to give another device to all primary seven children by this autumn, called MicroBit, which is said to compliment Rasberry Pi and not compete with it.

Find out about Micro bit in this link.

So, there you have it folks: From primary seven our children are going to be introduced to computer-coding and heaven knows where this is going to take the kids of the future.

What do you good folks say about this, and do you believe that it is a good thing ?

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2619
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Digital coding for year seven children

Post by zathrus on Thu 26 Mar 2015, 12:17 pm

I think that this has been triggered in America and it is now growing across the world.

We are going to finish up with a lot more code-writing-awareness amongst children as a result.

Not a bad idea at all, as I see it.

The only thing that may happen here is that certain kids will very quickly become smarter than their teachers on this subject.

What do you think of that idea Angie ?
    Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1284
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Thu 26 Mar 2015, 9:42 pm

Playing Devil's Advocate; What happens when Governments fall en masse; and we revert to a mediaeval or even Dark Ages scenario? With things as they are on the Middle Eastern scene, I can see this coming about sooner rather than later.

I think that time should also be given to keeping alive the old Crafts which will be needed then. Our Internet is a fragile thing when looked at in the light of possible future threats.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 27 Mar 2015, 12:42 pm

The internet does look a bit fragile at the moment HG, with the number of hacks and attacks that are coming about.

The thing is that one of he best ways to keep up with the smart-criminal-hackers is to ensure that we have just as many or more decent people writing code in order to protect the internet.

There is many "Open-Source" programmes out there that allow ordinary - but clever - people to take already-written code and to help to perfect it.

There are a couple of well known Operating systems like Linux, and browsers and e-mail clients out there that are very successful this way. Firefox is one and HERE are many more.

As long as there are enough decent people writing code, I do not think that your worry about governments falling will actually come about HG.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2501
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 28 Mar 2015, 1:53 pm

I guess you are right there Zathrus, but I think that it is up to the teachers to keep up with the flow of hi-technology.

The day when the kids know more than their teachers, at least in the primary schools, will be a bad day for all of us.

As a primary school teacher myself I take a lot of interest in what the ten-year-old's are doing, as, as soon as they go into the higher grade they are going to be heavily immersed in such tech.

It's the science, maths, and physics teachers that I do not envy in this respect.

Raspberry Pi ?..... I thought that was something to eat Rolling Eyes
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 29 Mar 2015, 1:00 pm

Nope, it aint "pie".

It IS a credit-card-sized, very powerful and yet simple computer that teaches children how to write computer code.

There are two free programmes that can be used with Rasberry Pi, one is called SCRATCH and the other one - a little bit more advanced - is called PYTHON.

There you have it, now you know what some of your kids are getting up when they are on the computer.

Papa......

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Here's another one....

Post by papa_umau on Mon 30 Mar 2015, 12:57 pm

Barclays Bank have created a page for children to do very simple coding.

This coding page is called http://barclayscodeplayground.co.uk/ and it is as easy as falling off a log to do.

Click on the blue link above.

After you have done this the page will download automatically. Once it is on the screen it can be scrolled through horizontally by using your mouse-wheel

After that, you, or your children, from around six upwards will be able to write code right onto the page.

The basic rules are: Click on any of the moving or still graphics and a coding page will come up where you have to change the number parameters for each graphic by entering the values that you or your child wants in the numbers box.

After a while it will become very intuitive for the bright child.

Give it a try, but watch closely what is happening when your kid tries it for him or herself

If you need help, there is a little figure down in the right-hand corner which will give you help if you need it

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 20 Oct 2017, 1:37 pm